Ripe Apples

Old November 7th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Ripe Apples

Tony Cooper:
The newspaper in a small town near here has these two Macs on display
in the lobby. The desktop unit looks like it could be used by the
"Jetsons".
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ss03wkzk8...663dqrDaa?dl=0

Yeah, Mac users love their vintage machines. I have an SE/30 from 1989.
It was doing pro-level WYSIWYG DTP while DOS users were staring at the
C:/ prompt and trying to configure autoexec.bat.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old November 8th 17, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/6/2017 7:44 PM, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:
The newspaper in a small town near here has these two Macs on display
in the lobby. The desktop unit looks like it could be used by the
"Jetsons".
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ss03wkzk8...663dqrDaa?dl=0

Yeah, Mac users love their vintage machines. I have an SE/30 from 1989.
It was doing pro-level WYSIWYG DTP while DOS users were staring at the
C:/ prompt and trying to configure autoexec.bat.

I don't miss my II. i used it only for Visicalc, and printed the results
on an Epson dot matrix printer. IIRC I paid about $4,200 for the Apple,
Visicalc and the printer. To say prices have dropped is an understatement.

--
PeterN
Old November 9th 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-11-06 19:44, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:
The newspaper in a small town near here has these two Macs on
display in the lobby. The desktop unit looks like it could be used
by the "Jetsons".
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ss03wkzk8...663dqrDaa?dl=0

Yeah, Mac users love their vintage machines. I have an SE/30 from
1989. It was doing pro-level WYSIWYG DTP while DOS users were staring
at the C:/ prompt and trying to configure autoexec.bat.

Funny - in 1989 I was using PC's for real time recording of flight data
from several sensors, displaying the current data and computing various
derivative products. Also used PC's to host signal processors to
synthesize complex waveforms to test various systems. The PC had to
coordinate all this at 25 frames per second across several processors.
(The PC would compute the "terms" of the next frame and interrupt the
SP's at the right time and pass the data to them to do the heavy lifting).

I was a very early Windows user at 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. It started to be
"right" when 3.1 came out. Far from perfect, but hosted a decent (and
an atrocious) WYSIWYG word processor. (Sometimes "What You So Intensely
Wished You'd Gotten in the 2nd case). Spreadsheets like 1-2-3 under Win
3.1 were fine.

Nothing wrong with DOS, IMO. (Win 1 thru 3 were "DOS" products IMO).
Old November 9th 17, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2017-11-06 19:44, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:
The newspaper in a small town near here has these two Macs on
display in the lobby.Â* The desktop unit looks like it could be used
by the "Jetsons".
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ss03wkzk8...663dqrDaa?dl=0

Yeah, Mac users love their vintage machines. I have an SE/30 from
1989. It was doing pro-level WYSIWYG DTP while DOS users were staring
at the C:/ prompt and trying to configure autoexec.bat.

Funny - in 1989 I was using PC's for real time recording of flight data
from several sensors, displaying the current data and computing various
derivative products.Â* Also used PC's to host signal processors to
synthesize complex waveforms to test various systems.Â* The PC had to
coordinate all this at 25 frames per second across several processors.
(The PC would compute the "terms" of the next frame and interrupt the
SP's at the right time and pass the data to them to do the heavy lifting).

I was a very early Windows user at 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.Â* It started to be
"right" when 3.1 came out.Â* Far from perfect, but hosted a decent (and
an atrocious) WYSIWYG word processor.Â* (Sometimes "What You So Intensely
Wished You'd Gotten in the 2nd case).Â* Spreadsheets like 1-2-3 under Win
3.1 were fine.

Yes they were. And then they came out with Symphony, that was intended
to combine spreadsheets, word processing and a database. They worked
fine for simple applications, but once you got into complex uses it did
none of them well.

Nothing wrong with DOS, IMO.Â* (Win 1 thru 3 were "DOS" products IMO).

--
PeterN