Pan O'Rama

Old September 30th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Pan O'Rama

Tony Cooper:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 1st 15, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-30 22:05:42 +0000, Davoud said:

Tony Cooper:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

An iPhone can produce reasonable panoramas, nice enough for online
sharing and less than ambitious prints, but it is still going to be a
small sensor image.
While I have an iPhone capable of capturing an opportunistic pano,
panos I create with my other cameras are much better. Apple is not the
innovator in this field. There are other cameras which have similar
features and will make the capture with a much larger sensor. In some
cases as large as APS-C. That provides for a very large resolution for
the final product.

For example Fujifilm have had a "Motion Panorama" feature in their
Finepix compact cameras and in their X-series cameras since 2012. (I
have it in my X-E2. However, there is no allowance to shoot in portrait
orientation with that camera.
Sony has something similar, I don't know what Canon or Nikon have, but
I suspect a little exploration should reveal something.
http://finepix.com/motion_panorama/en/#
https://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/products/digital-cameras/model/finepix-f300exr-f305exr/features/motion-panorama-360-and-creative-shooting-modes/

This

shot with an X-E2:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/11415252115_46c117e715_o.jpg

....and a Sony demo.
http://roundaboutsanfrancisco.com/misc/camera-review-panorama.html

Savageduck

Old October 1st 15, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Tony Cooper:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

No... You move the camera sideways in installments to create overlapping
tiles that can be stitched together into a panorama. There is no paning
involved at all. The last thing is semantics of course. ;-)

The iPhone makes glutamatic panos.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 1st 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-30 22:05:42 +0000, Davoud said:

Tony Cooper:

[...]

I have to add a correction here. There is a menu option for changing
the orientation from landscape to portrait. I hadn't tackled that
particular feature fully.

Old October 1st 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/30/2015 6:05 PM, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

Me for one. Exposure matching has rarely been an issue.

Here is a hand held pano. And yes the distortion on the ship was deliberate.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ship%20pano%20ist%20pass_DxO.jpg

Here is another hand held pano, taken from a sightseeing boat. I will
not swear to it, but I think it is a pano. I took it a few years ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/seattle%20skyline1.jpg

--
PeterN
Old October 1st 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-30 18:05, Davoud wrote:
Tony Cooper:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

You want to compare that to a FF 24+ Mpix tripod mounted camera with a
much better lens across a wider range of lighting conditions printed to
1 x 4 metres?

Old October 1st 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Alan Browne:
Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

You want to compare that to a FF 24+ Mpix tripod mounted camera with a
much better lens across a wider range of lighting conditions printed to
1 x 4 metres?

I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Old October 1st 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-01 17:51:38 +0000, Davoud said:

Alan Browne:
Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

You want to compare that to a FF 24+ Mpix tripod mounted camera with a
much better lens across a wider range of lighting conditions printed to
1 x 4 metres?

I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Just for the hell of it here is an iPhone pano to compare with an X-E2
"Motion Panorama" of a hilltop view near my home. They are sized
similarly:

iPhone pano:
https://db.tt/vawU0L3f
X-E2 pano:
https://db.tt/YNv1ZC5i

Savageduck

Old October 2nd 15, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 01/10/2015 22:31, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Just for the hell of it here is an iPhone pano to compare with an X-E2
"Motion Panorama" of a hilltop view near my home. They are sized similarly:

iPhone pano:
https://db.tt/vawU0L3f
X-E2 pano:
https://db.tt/YNv1ZC5i

At first glance,I prefer the iPhone 5S pano, but that's just the higher
contrast and saturation. Which is more accurate?

--
Cheers,
David
Old October 2nd 15, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-02 05:40:13 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 01/10/2015 22:31, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Just for the hell of it here is an iPhone pano to compare with an X-E2
"Motion Panorama" of a hilltop view near my home. They are sized similarly:

iPhone pano:
https://db.tt/vawU0L3f
X-E2 pano:
https://db.tt/YNv1ZC5i

At first glance,I prefer the iPhone 5S pano, but that's just the higher
contrast and saturation. Which is more accurate?

From a color point of view the X-E2 is more accurate. We are dry and
bleached out, not too saturated. I am a little put off by the sky with
the iPhone pano. Regardless, we have had a dry summer and have been
lucky not to have had any more than a few local fires which were dealt
with quite quickly. That is an advantage to having one of the largest
and busiest CDF/CalFire Air attack bases at Paso Robles airport some 20
miles from where we are.
http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/downloads/fact_sheets/Aviation_Firefighting_booklet.pdf

Zoomed

in the X-E2 pano is also slightly better. However, for that I might
have a better comparison if I had shot at 35mm rather than 18mm.

I think the important point to be made here is the iPhone will do an
acceptable job if needed for online viewing/sharing.
....and that is an iPhone 5S, not the latest iPhone 6S with the improved camera.

Savageduck