Pan O'Rama

Old September 30th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Pan O'Rama

On 2015-09-30 15:52:32 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

Savageduck

Old October 1st 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-30 22:07:59 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:24:59 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-30 15:52:32 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

True enough, but *some* sources recommend an overlap between 30% and
50%.

The "or so..." should cover all the way from 20% to 50%.

Savageduck

Old October 1st 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-30 15:52:32 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

True enough, but *some* sources recommend an overlap between 30% and
50%.

Depends on the subject matter.

--
PeterN
Old October 1st 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-30 15:52:32 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

I usually overlap to about 10% and haven't had any issues with CS5
stitching. I suppose detail in the image helps and if it is a less
"noisy" scene, then more overlap would be better.

Old October 1st 15, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-01 17:33:27 +0000, Alan Browne

On 2015-09-30 15:52:32 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

Tim Grey's most recent "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter" is on the subject of
bracketing shots in taking a panorama.

In it, he says "Once you've captured the set of exposures for the
first frame, rotate the camera to the next frame, overlapping by about
20% or so...".

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

I usually overlap to about 10% and haven't had any issues with CS5
stitching. I suppose detail in the image helps and if it is a less
"noisy" scene, then more overlap would be better.

It also depends if you are shooting in landscape or portrait
orientation. Landscape gives you more leeway, portrait is far more
critical. Then selection of an appropriate projection is critical.

Savageduck

Old October 2nd 15, 04:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

20% or so... That should work.

I usually overlap to about 10% and haven't had any issues with CS5
stitching. I suppose detail in the image helps and if it is a less
"noisy" scene, then more overlap would be better.

It also depends if you are shooting in landscape or portrait
orientation. Landscape gives you more leeway, portrait is far more
critical. Then selection of an appropriate projection is critical.

it's still the same percentage.
Old October 2nd 15, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

True enough, but *some* sources recommend an overlap between 30% and
50%.

wasteful.

What, exactly, is wasted?

there is no need to have a 50% overlap for panos. it's a complete waste.
Old October 2nd 15, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 10/02/2015 01:58 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:42:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Some may feel that a 20% overlap is not sufficient, but I doubt if
anyone would suggest that the instructions say to pan the camera.

20% or so... That should work.

True enough, but *some* sources recommend an overlap between 30% and
50%.

wasteful.

What, exactly, is wasted?

there is no need to have a 50% overlap for panos. it's a complete waste.

You didn't answer the question. What is wasted?

Is there some way that the pixels not used in the pano be utilized?
Have I wasted time or money? What?

You made a statement. Explain it.

If I take a photograph and crop that photograph to less than the full
frame of what was taken, have I wasted something?

The pixels that you have cropped out (or the overlap in the stitching
operation) are a valuable resource and must be preserved. Already, at
peak picture-taking times (holidays, vacations, etc.), the USA is
importing pixels from Colombia and Portugal, two of the world's leading
pixel producers.

Cropped out and otherwise wasted pixels should be stored in air-tight
containers, and taken to the nearest pixel recycling center, where they
will be cleaned, sorted, and reinstalled in online photos through
websites such as Instagram, Dropbox, Flicker, and others.

Please do not simply discard unused pixels. Do not put our children, out
children's children, etc at the mercy of third world pixel producers.

--
Ken Hart