My first analog photos!

Old May 28th 12, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew Reilly[_2_]

Default My first analog photos!

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:37:24 +0200, Sandman wrote:
Unfortunately, the lab had mistakenly developed my color Portra 160-film
as black and white film, so no color photos as of yet :/

That doesn't bode particularly well, since the developer type is written
on the side of the roll. You might have to hunt around for another lab.
Still, the development seems to have worked out OK as B/W.

You can see the photos I picked out he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasek...7629930160324/

Nice work!

So, these are the photos I liked the most, there were tons of shots that
were hopelessly out of focus. Focusing manually with a 1.9 lens is damn
hard for a newbie!

You get used to it fairly quickly. I prefer manual focus, now.

So, after having developed the shots, I noticed when I scanned them that
they had TONS of dust on them. I looked at thelens and noticed it had
some dust *inside* the lens. But probably not enough for all the dust in
the scans. Realized that my scanner was a bit dusty as well, but still,
this is an old camera, dust will always be there in some way or another.
Easily fixed in Photoshop.

Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
on black and white. Best approach is to avoid it as much as possible and
then get to work, spotting in post.

Cheers,

--
Andrew Reilly
Old May 28th 12, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Andrew Reilly wrote:

Dust is my nemesis, too. You need great care, a clean environment, dust
cloths and a blower of some sort. The scanner's ICE mechanism is
supposed to be able to edit-out dust on colour film, but it doesn't work
on black and white.

That is untrue. It doesn't work with silver based film (including
Kodachrome, which is colour) and it works with non-silver based
film (even if it's monochrome). Silver does not let IR pass.

-Wolfgang

Is Reality Digital or Analog? David J Taylor[_16_] Digital Photography 36 August 8th 11 09:41 PM
Analog Black Dial [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 0 May 21st 09 10:42 AM
Old Analog Meter: Any Value ?? Magnusfarce Digital Photography 14 July 3rd 07 06:53 PM
Analog vs digital mattresses Harry Lockwood 35mm Photo Equipment 14 May 9th 07 05:01 AM
IBM CEO; The future of computing is....analog! RichA Digital SLR Cameras 2 May 27th 05 07:41 PM