New 50mm Lens From Nikon

Old January 18th 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_3_]

Default New 50mm Lens From Nikon

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Manzoorul Hassan" wrote in message
I've noticed that Nikon has been releasing new lenses and was
wondering if a new 50mm is in the pipeline. Maybe a 50mm f/1.4 G or
something similar.

- manzoor

Do Nikon do a an equivalent "standard" lens for the cropped sensor. I was
thinking something like a cheap and cheerful 30mm F1.8 or F1.4. The
offerings available for my Pentax gear are very good but huge prices.

AF 35mm f/2D is about the nearest. It's affordable at $535 from DCW.

Old January 18th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"N" wrote in message
"Pete D" wrote in message

"Manzoorul Hassan" wrote in message
I've noticed that Nikon has been releasing new lenses and was
wondering if a new 50mm is in the pipeline. Maybe a 50mm f/1.4 G or
something similar.

- manzoor

Do Nikon do a an equivalent "standard" lens for the cropped sensor. I was
thinking something like a cheap and cheerful 30mm F1.8 or F1.4. The
offerings available for my Pentax gear are very good but huge prices.

AF 35mm f/2D is about the nearest. It's affordable at $535 from DCW.

That sounds like it would fit the bill. Pentax makes a 35mm F2 as well that
is simply stunningly sharp from F2 (some think it is too sharp but after
have a few soft lenses I would rather be too sharp than even a little soft)
up but is getting a somewhat hard to get, local suppliers can't get them,
tried to get one last week but had a problem getting the new online payment
system to work at BH Photo so I might try again in a few weeks if they still
have them.

Cheers.

Pete

Old January 18th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
wshl wrote:

This is what 'insiders' say is in the pipeline:

2) Nikkor AFS 70 200 mm f/2,8 VR II (new design),

Strange, I never heard anyone complain about the current design. My only
complaint is flare & ghosting which I suppose the new coatings would
improve.

3) Nikkor AFS DX 16 85 mm f/3,5-5,6 VR II,

...VR doesn't add any benefit to lenses of 50mm and wider...

Sure it does. Stops are stops wherever you can get them. I don't know
why you persist in this idea. And with f/5.6 at 85mm you'll need it.

later (end 2008, beginning 2009)
4) Nikkor AFS 50 mm f/1,4,

SWEET! GOTTA GET ONE!

5) Nikkor AFS 85 mm f/2 VR II,

Absolute waste! Nikon would have been better suited to just add AF-S to
the present 85/1.4. No interest.

The 1.4 isn't slow focusing, doesn't need AF-S but the VR would be handy
at that focal length and yes, why slower glass?

6) Nikkor-Micro AFS 200 mm f/4 VR II,

Another waste of time lense! Make it a 2.8 and scrap the VR. Hell, get
rid of the AF while you're at it!

Lacking the "(new design)" this is just a refresh of a well regarded
lens, not a new lens really.

7) PC Nikkor AFS 28 mm f/2,8

Good choice! Lots of possibilities. GOTTA GET ONE! Not sure how much
benefit AF-S is going to be, but a new optical formula is always welcome.

That is bizar AF-S perspective control? That's a totally manual
operated lens right down to the stop-down metering. Can't they add tilt?
This really makes no sense unless it's designed to allow more shift on a
DX body. I'd rather see a 28mm f/2 or faster. For a shift lens, the old
f/3.5 was supposed to be a little better performer than the f/2.8
anyways and there's no need for speed for this kind of work.
Old January 18th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Paul Furman wrote:
[]
7) PC Nikkor AFS 28 mm f/2,8

[]
That is bizar AF-S perspective control? That's a totally manual
operated lens right down to the stop-down metering. Can't they add
tilt? This really makes no sense unless it's designed to allow more
shift on a DX body. I'd rather see a 28mm f/2 or faster. For a shift
lens, the old f/3.5 was supposed to be a little better performer than
the f/2.8 anyways and there's no need for speed for this kind of work.

Maybe it's now a purely electronic linkage, allowing much more automation?

David

Old January 18th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David J Taylor wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
[]
7) PC Nikkor AFS 28 mm f/2,8

[]
That is bizar AF-S perspective control? That's a totally manual
operated lens right down to the stop-down metering. Can't they add
tilt? This really makes no sense unless it's designed to allow more
shift on a DX body. I'd rather see a 28mm f/2 or faster. For a shift
lens, the old f/3.5 was supposed to be a little better performer than
the f/2.8 anyways and there's no need for speed for this kind of work.

Maybe it's now a purely electronic linkage, allowing much more automation?

Yes AF-S would make it possible to do as AF and use as a normal lens,
but it would be more useful if they added tilt or made a normal faster
wide angle lens.
Old January 18th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Koenig

"Pete D" wrote in message

Do Nikon do a an equivalent "standard" lens for the cropped sensor. I was
thinking something like a cheap and cheerful 30mm F1.8 or F1.4. The
offerings available for my Pentax gear are very good but huge prices.

There's a 35mm f/2 AF-D lens that fits every Nikon DSLR except for the D40
and D40x.

Old January 18th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Savage

On 2008-01-18, Andrew Koenig wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in message

Do Nikon do a an equivalent "standard" lens for the cropped sensor. I was
thinking something like a cheap and cheerful 30mm F1.8 or F1.4. The
offerings available for my Pentax gear are very good but huge prices.

There's a 35mm f/2 AF-D lens that fits every Nikon DSLR except for the D40
and D40x.

It fits those two cameras just fine, but it won't autofocus on them.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
Old January 19th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"wshl" wrote:

5) Nikkor AFS 85 mm f/2 VR II,

How can there be a Mark II version when there wasn't a Mark I?

Old January 19th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Andrew Koenig" wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in message

Do Nikon do a an equivalent "standard" lens for the cropped sensor. I was
thinking something like a cheap and cheerful 30mm F1.8 or F1.4. The
offerings available for my Pentax gear are very good but huge prices.

There's a 35mm f/2 AF-D lens that fits every Nikon DSLR except for the D40
and D40x.

It also fits the D40 and D40X.

It doesn't offer autofocus, but everything else works.

Old January 19th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message
Paul Furman wrote:

3) Nikkor AFS DX 16 85 mm f/3,5-5,6 VR II,

...VR doesn't add any benefit to lenses of 50mm and wider...

Sure it does. Stops are stops wherever you can get them. I don't know
why you persist in this idea. And with f/5.6 at 85mm you'll need it.

Huh? I haven't seen much benefits of VR on 50 and wider lenses.

I have. Others have. I think it's just a matter of faith with you that VR
doesn't help 50mm and shorter. Some sort of religious dedication.

It's
really not hard shooting 1000mm handheld with proper technique. Plus,
with
the introduction of great high-ISO sensors VR/IS is going to be obsolete
in
5-years or less.

Never. Whatever benefits may result from higher ISOs, VR can only improve
on.

Neil