Potassium permangate and DEA

Old December 10th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steve Goldstein

Default Potassium permangate and DEA

I was just looking for Potassium Permanganate on the Photographer's
Formulary web site to mix up some of the reducer described in Ctein's
book _Post Exposure_ (for removing black spots from prints). PF
says a DEA authorized buyer form is required for purchase. Does
anyone have experience with this? Yes, I know I can call them, but
probably not until Monday, and what with this being the era of instant
gratification and all....

TIA

steve
Old December 10th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Steve Goldstein wrote:

I was just looking for Potassium Permanganate ... PF
says a DEA authorized buyer form is required for purchase.
Does anyone have experience with this?

I have. I'm signed up. IIRC a photo copy of some ID
is required. A little red tape. Dan

Old December 10th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Steve Goldstein wrote:
I was just looking for Potassium Permanganate on the Photographer's
Formulary web site to mix up some of the reducer described in Ctein's
book _Post Exposure_ (for removing black spots from prints). PF
says a DEA authorized buyer form is required for purchase. Does
anyone have experience with this? Yes, I know I can call them, but
probably not until Monday, and what with this being the era of instant
gratification and all....

TIA

steve

I don't know about the DEA requirement but tincture of Iodine,
available at many drugstores, is a very good reducer for removing
spots. It is very powerful so it must be used with some care. After
bleaching out the spot refix the print in rapid fixer. The bleach
converts the image silver to silver iodide, which is difficult to fix
out. Ammonium thiosulfate fixer is more effective for it than Sodium
thiosulfate although the latter will work. The bleach will just about
completely remove the image silver. Fill the resulting white spot with
whatever spotting technique you usually use.

Posted through Google because Earthlink/Netcom has screwed up their
news servers again.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA

Old December 11th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steve Goldstein

On 10 Dec 2006 14:15:45 -0800, "Richard Knoppow" wrote:

Steve Goldstein wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Richard, that's handy to know.

One thing that was not clear to me was whether this "anti-spotting"
should be done before or after toning (I normally use KRST 1+9).
Ctein did not say one way or the other in this section of the book.
I plan to drop him an email as well.

Steve
Old December 11th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

Before toning, the toning processes change the silver in the
emulsion to relatively more inert compounds like sulphides,
or "plate" the silver with iron or gold or selenium, etc.,
all toning makes bleaching less effective.

darkroommike

Old December 11th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On 10 Dec 2006 02:52:30 -0800, wrote:

Steve Goldstein wrote:

I was just looking for Potassium Permanganate ... PF
says a DEA authorized buyer form is required for purchase.
Does anyone have experience with this?

I have. I'm signed up. IIRC a photo copy of some ID
is required. A little red tape. Dan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15221095

"Privacy under attack, but does anybody care?"

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old December 13th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Steve Goldstein wrote:
I was just looking for Potassium Permanganate on the Photographer's
Formulary web site to mix up some of the reducer described in Ctein's
book _Post Exposure_ (for removing black spots from prints). PF says a
DEA authorized buyer form is required for purchase. Does anyone have
experience with this? Yes, I know I can call them, but probably not
until Monday, and what with this being the era of instant gratification
and all....

I have a 4 ounce bottle of the stuff that I got at least 30 years ago. B&A,
IIRC. It was no trouble getting it then. IIRC, one use for it is for severe
athlete's foot. I did not use it for that, but to mix up a residual hypo
test solution -- washing test. While it works, it is not really a good way
to test that. So I have most of it left.

You might try getting it at a drug store, but these days you would probably
need a prescription for it.

^^-^^ 08:25:01 up 53 days, 10:56, 3 users, load average: 4.15, 4.20, 4.18
Old December 13th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

... to mix up a residual hypo test solution -- washing test.
While it works, it is not really a good way to test that.
So I have most of it left.

Off and on the last couple of weeks I've been using
the HT-1 permanganate test to determine the efficiency
of various fix-wash and fix-hca-wash routines. With the
still water diffusion wash method I use I have good
control of the sample used for testing.
I'm setting up to test Bill Troop's assertion that a
decidedly alkaline fix will wash fast and needs no HCA.
The permanganate test is a good measure of a wash gone
to completion. That is the point where further washing will
not remove anything more from the film or paper.
The ST-1 and HT-2 tests are measures of what silver
and sulfur compounds remain in the emulsion. The HT-1 test
is an easy quick indicator of how the wash is proceding: from
hca through wash 1 then 2 and perhaps more.The relative
merits of one routine vs another are more apparent. Dan