Confusing review about noise and detail in RAW vs. best JPEG

Old September 27th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Confusing review about noise and detail in RAW vs. best JPEG

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 12:09:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I use a ball-head tripod, but I lock it down between shots when doing
a pano. I don't pan. Panning is done when the subject is moving.

If you are of the opinion that the term "pan" means to move the still
camera from one stopped position to another, and only that, I'm sure
you must be the only person here that thinks so.

you are the only person who is making a distinction over panning for
panoramas and panning for a moving subject because all you do is argue.

To pan the still camera means to move the camera in conjunction with a
moving subject. In still photography, panning is a continuous motion
of the camera. In creating a still pano, the camera is moved - not
panned - to a series of positions that overlap, stopped, and stills
are taken in the positions.

a pan-tilt tripod head does not say "only for use with moving subjects".

keep in mind that old school panorama cameras did not stop as they
panned.

They usually wound film through as they panned. They used to use them
for school photographs. If they were quick a boy could appear on both
sides of the photograph.

Eric Stevens
Old October 2nd 15, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

you are the only person who is making a distinction over panning for
panoramas and panning for a moving subject because all you do is argue.

No, I'm not the only person. Check the posts.

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

To pan the still camera means to move the camera in conjunction with a
moving subject. In still photography, panning is a continuous motion
of the camera. In creating a still pano, the camera is moved - not
panned - to a series of positions that overlap, stopped, and stills
are taken in the positions.

a pan-tilt tripod head does not say "only for use with moving subjects".

Could you come up with a weaker defense of your misuse? Do you own a
pan-tilt tripod that has a label on it that tells you of *any* use or
*any* thing not to use it for? Or ever seen one?

exactly my point.

a pan-tilt head can be used to pan when the subject is not moving.
Old October 2nd 15, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

We reposition the camera in taking a pano using a tripod. In panning,
the camera is continuously moving. In a reposition, the camera is
moved and then stopped.

With video, panning is often done, but that's not creating a pano.

as usual, you're arguing just to argue.

moving the camera horizontally is called panning, whether or not the
subject is tracked.

a pan-tilt tripod head does not say "only for moving subjects".

old school pano cameras panned in one long exposure. was that not
panning?

There seems to be support for your argument

there always is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_%28camera%29 although you are
using the word in an uncommon manner.

common or not, it's correct usage.
Old October 2nd 15, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

keep in mind that old school panorama cameras did not stop as they
panned.

They usually wound film through as they panned. They used to use them
for school photographs. If they were quick a boy could appear on both
sides of the photograph.

yep, and having one person on both sides can be done even easier today
since there's more time to move.

or just composite him in with photoshop.
Old October 2nd 15, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

you are the only person who is making a distinction over panning for
panoramas and panning for a moving subject because all you do is argue.

No, I'm not the only person. Check the posts.

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

If think that Tony got a point for once!

To pan the still camera means to move the camera in conjunction with a
moving subject. In still photography, panning is a continuous motion
of the camera. In creating a still pano, the camera is moved - not
panned - to a series of positions that overlap, stopped, and stills
are taken in the positions.

a pan-tilt tripod head does not say "only for use with moving subjects".

Could you come up with a weaker defense of your misuse? Do you own a
pan-tilt tripod that has a label on it that tells you of *any* use or
*any* thing not to use it for? Or ever seen one?

I have a pan head, bought separately. Works fine with stills... I
wouldn't call that paning though.

exactly my point.

a pan-tilt head can be used to pan when the subject is not moving.

If you do movies... ;-P
--
teleportation kills
Old October 2nd 15, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

And yet you cared enough to argue.

you're the one who made a issue out of it.
Old October 2nd 15, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/2/2015 1:53 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:42:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

And yet you cared enough to argue.

you're the one who made a issue out of it.

As you say you are, I'm here to correct errors.

When he doesn't clarify when asked, he can't be wrong.

--
PeterN
Old October 4th 15, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/2/2015 1:53 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:42:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

And yet you cared enough to argue.

you're the one who made a issue out of it.

As you say you are, I'm here to correct errors.

When he doesn't clarify when asked, he can't be wrong.

Be careful or the overlord might descend upon thou!
--
teleportation kills
Old October 4th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/4/2015 12:22 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

On 10/2/2015 1:53 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:42:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

And yet you cared enough to argue.

you're the one who made a issue out of it.

As you say you are, I'm here to correct errors.

When he doesn't clarify when asked, he can't be wrong.

Be careful or the overlord might descend upon thou!

The farce is with him.

--
PeterN
Old October 5th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

PeterN wrote:

On 10/2/2015 1:53 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:42:59 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If we'd use a wide range of input from photographers, you'd be the
only person using "panning" to mean moving the camera from one
discrete point to another discrete point.

you're arguing over word usage. nobody but you cares.

And yet you cared enough to argue.

you're the one who made a issue out of it.

As you say you are, I'm here to correct errors.

When he doesn't clarify when asked, he can't be wrong.

Be careful or the overlord might descend upon thou!

The farce is with him.

\\///
--
teleportation kills