Raw Shooter Essentials - What a miracle!

Old May 16th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Raw Shooter Essentials - What a miracle!

Tried this trial freeware 1.2 by pixmantec.com for a few days and find
it to be a miracle piece of software!

Auto exposure and auto white balance works fairly well, or, at least
they do provide a good starting point to work with. I like its exposure
control of separate highlight and shadow contrast adjustment plus the
unique fill light function to fill in the "gaps" in between!

I don't know how exactly the RSE make its calculation nor what
algorithms it used, but it does produce very decent output pictures
with fairly good intelligence sometimes which I cannot even make such
nice *manual* adjustment with my Pentax Photo Laboratory 2.1 (the
latest version). Well, the RSE simply wins hands down IMHO..

The multi-tasking smoothness (within both the RSE and with other
applications as well) plus its conversion speed are both amazing and
far superior to the Pentax Photo Lab, furthermore.

Interesting, the RSE shows that quite many of my Pentax RAW pictures
are underexposured for most of the time and the adjustment values are
sometimes quite close to my underexposure values measured by my
exposure accuracy tests of DSLRs at my homepage, for those reallife
pictures which I did not impose any +ve exposure compensation at the
time of shooting. (For details about my findings of exposure accuracy
of different Pentax and Canon DSLRs, see:-
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh ). This comparison results look
truely amazing to me indeed! (except that the RSE tends to expose for
highlights, too, but for evenly illunimated scenes, the +ve "auto"
exposure compensation of RSE is actually quite consistent and *fairly*
*accurate!)

Well, after praising so long for this wonderful piece of RAW convertor,
I have a question to ask: Is it possible to do *batch conversion* with
Auto Exposure and/or Auto WB, instead of carrying the same adjustment
settings for the whole batch?? Anyone knows? TIA for any hints! Or, is
RS Premium can have this feature? (If so, I will not hesitate to buy
one! provided that Pixmantec commits to provide future free update to
new DSLR models - of which the RAW format might be different - anyone
knows if Pixmantec has this offer or commitment, like quite some other
software vendors provide??)

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Old May 16th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On 16 May 2006 07:25:53 -0700, "RiceHigh" opined:

Well, after praising so long for this wonderful piece of RAW convertor,
I have a question to ask: Is it possible to do *batch conversion* with
Auto Exposure and/or Auto WB, instead of carrying the same adjustment
settings for the whole batch?? Anyone knows? TIA for any hints!

I haven't tried it, but selecting all your thumbnails & setting Auto
Exp & WB from the correction might possibly work.

Or, is
RS Premium can have this feature? (If so, I will not hesitate to buy
one! provided that Pixmantec commits to provide future free update to
new DSLR models - of which the RAW format might be different - anyone
knows if Pixmantec has this offer or commitment, like quite some other
software vendors provide??)

I switched from Capture One Pro to RawShooter a while back, & was
happy enough with it to buy the full version. I now use it for 95% of
my photography.
As for them supporting new camera models, they've added every new
model released since I started using their program (at least 8
brands/models, so their track record is currently at 100%.
Old May 16th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Have to agree with you, I discovered Raw Shooter after becoming thoroughly
dissapointed with Nikon Capture software. Raw shooter is a delight to use,
very fast, with a great degree of control. The professional version is
better though, if you can afford it.

oups.com...

Old May 16th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Nigel Cummings" wrote in message
k...
Have to agree with you, I discovered Raw Shooter after becoming thoroughly
dissapointed with Nikon Capture software. Raw shooter is a delight to use,
very fast, with a great degree of control. The professional version is
better though, if you can afford it.

Yep, it is cool. But I primarily use a Mac, and sometimes OpenBSD, for
photo editing. I've only had an opportunity to try RSE on my work PC.

Greg

oups.com...

Old May 16th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Raw Shooter Essentials
I am very happy with the workflow of RSE, far better than Nikon Capture.
But I do have a little problem with the produced colors.

And on one picture the moire was far worse than on other raw programmes.
(But this was only with one particular picture. And I would not know if
other
raw programmes would produce bad moire effects on other pictures).
(The picture
http://album.zoom.nl/user/BenBrugman/Moire/
click for original format
)

But in general I think that RSE is one of the better programmes.

Ben

"RiceHigh" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old May 18th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Nigel Cummings" wrote in message
k...
Have to agree with you, I discovered Raw Shooter after becoming thoroughly
dissapointed with Nikon Capture software. Raw shooter is a delight to use,
very fast, with a great degree of control. The professional version is
better though, if you can afford it.

I use RSE (in preference to PictureProject), but in what ways are the
professional version better?

Mark Harrington

Old May 20th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I know that there are more settings and options, e.g. a vibrance
parameter which can be adjusted for difference color appearances. Other
than that, I have no more further info.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Old May 20th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

RiceHigh wrote:

Tried this trial freeware 1.2 by pixmantec.com for a few days and find
it to be a miracle piece of software!

Not bad, I just tried it. Is there any way to zoom in to see detail for
sharpening & noise reduction? It is fast. The lack of a standard text
menu is annoying. The batch process works nicely.