Best Digital Processing Software?

Old April 16th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Best Digital Processing Software?

I'm just downloading my pix to Picasa. It's very basic and want to find
something better. Suggestions?

Old April 16th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yomama wrote:
I'm just downloading my pix to Picasa. It's very basic and want to
find something better. Suggestions?

If you are looking for free programs take a look at both Irfanview and Gimp

Old April 17th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"John A. Stovall" wrote:

CS2 Photoshop. None better for serious work.

ACK - completed with two indispensable plugins:

- PTlens
- NeatImage (NoiseNinja)

Andreas

--
http://www.subworld.at

Old April 17th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yomama wrote:
I'm just downloading my pix to Picasa. It's very basic and want to find
something better. Suggestions?

You'll get lots of different answers. A lot depends on how
much you want to do. Just basic operations? More advanced?
Do you want to start with simple steps and work up? And
how much are you willing to spend?
Old April 17th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

John A. Stovall wrote
(in article ):

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:24:12 +0200, "Andreas Thaler"
wrote:

"John A. Stovall" wrote:

CS2 Photoshop. None better for serious work.

ACK - completed with two indispensable plugins:

- PTlens

Is this better than the Lens Correction filter in CS2? I've
never used PTlens, but I have used the built-in.

Nevermind, I just read that is a Windoze only plugin.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old April 17th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Randy Howard"

[PTlens]

Is this better than the Lens Correction filter in CS2? I've
never used PTlens, but I have used the built-in.

It is. PTlens offers profiles for most "serious" dcams. Correction
is done by a mouseclick proper and perfect basing on objective
algorithms for each lens. No need to fiddle with previews and
subjective estimation. Additional PTlens fixes vignetting and
CA if desired.

Andreas

--
http://www.subworld.at

Old April 18th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
. net...
SNIP
Is this better than the Lens Correction filter in CS2?

Indeed, but only because it uses a more accurate model for distortion
correction. CS2 only allows to adjust one degree of distortion, cusion
or barrel, while PTlens mixes three types of distortion. That will
very likely appoach the true distortion closely.

I've never used PTlens, but I have used the built-in.

Nevermind, I just read that is a Windoze only plugin.

It is indeed a Windows only application, but you might want to try the
following Photoshop plug-ins:
http://www.geocities.com/fov960/Mac_PanoTools.html
and
http://www.pinlady.net/vr/

Since I'm not on a Mac platform, I don't know how well that really
works on that platform.

It works as advertized on Windows, it might on a Mac.

Bart

Old April 18th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

John A. Stovall wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

"John A. Stovall" wrote:

CS2 Photoshop. None better for serious work.

ACK - completed with two indispensable plugins:

- PTlens

Is this better than the Lens Correction filter in CS2? I've
never used PTlens, but I have used the built-in.

Nevermind, I just read that is a Windoze only plugin.

Never fear I to have a Mac. Just get the About LensFix and Panorama
Tools plug-ins from http://www.kekus.com/ . Use the data base from
PTlens. But it's not free but well worth the 39 dollars.

So you download ptlens.dat from epaperpress, and the Kekus
Lensfix plugin knows how to read it directly, or is there some
special process required? I didn't see any mention of that on
the Kekus site.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old May 14th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2006-04-16 16:33:24 -0400, "Yomama" said:

I'm just downloading my pix to Picasa. It's very basic and want to
find something better. Suggestions?

For who? Nikon's included software is not bad. On the Mac and
Windows side you have Photo
--
Jim

Old May 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

PhotoShop is the defacto standard. Elements 4 is the most recent (and
advanced) consumer package. Elements 3 should be available on Ebay in
unopened packageing and at a significant discount to the price of PE4.

Photoshop CS2 is their current proffessional package. If you have the money
and the inclination, this package will serve you well for many years (and
equipment upgrades).

Free alternatives:

Gimp

Serif Photo+6.0

PhotoFiltre

All 3 are good to very good alternatives to Photoshop. Each will give you
much more control over the editing process than Picassa.

Best,

Ross