Calumet files Chapter 7

Old April 1st 14, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Calumet files Chapter 7

In article , nospam wrote:

Tony Cooper:
What he ignores is that in *all* purchases online, there is no
sales help available. Any help the customer gets at a retail
store is more than what any online seller offers. If nothing
else, the buyer at a retail store gets to handle the camera before
purchase.

false. some online sellers have a *lot* of sales help on their site,
including extensive faqs, video demos, wizards that ask questions to
narrow down the choices, phone support and even online chat for
questions, user reviews and links to other information.

Oh, poor Tony, who made such a huge deal out of his claim that you had
"ignored" this "fact".

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 2nd 14, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 4/1/2014 5:35 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

this isn't just camera stores either. bookstores are going away because
people are now buying ebooks. many other types of stores are downsizing
or going away. stores need to adapt to the changes or they won't be
around for very long.

Sit down now!
I agree with you. That said, I know of a specialty bookstore that sell
for full list, and his business is good. Not great, but good. If you ask
where a particular book is, the clerk won't just say aisle x. You will
be taken to that location, and shown the book and related titles. People
feel the personal service is worth the extra price. that store is a
leading place to get antique and collectibles. They sell only
children's, and fantasy books. So yes, you have to do something that the
others are not doing.

--
PeterN
Old April 2nd 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 3/31/2014 10:33 AM, PAS wrote:

I'll be in the Dominican Republic for a week before this event in Mass.
Honestly, I'd rather be in Mass than the Dominican Republic. I'm not one
for sun, sand, and surf. I'd rather be indoors where it's cool or in the
shade.

To use an old phrase. "Happy wife, happy life." Enjoy the DR. I've heard
there's lots of good shooting there, especially one hour before and
after, sunset and sunrise.

--
PeterN
Old April 2nd 14, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 4/1/2014 8:56 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:04:40 +0000, Sandman wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Sandman:

Sandman:
There is none to look at that meet that criteria.

Tony Cooper:
Here's one for you, then. "There is none..." is a gross error.

Sandman:
"gross", huh? I'm way past at taking you at face value, so you need
more than just a claim here, Andreas.

What? You need some "substantiation" that it should be "There are
none..."?

I actually missed that, I thought it was "none" you were in reference
to, which sort of speaks to how low your credibility with regards to
English is and how any comment you make about it will be doubted until
you give anything substantial.

I'm still baffled about the "gross" part though, but that's just you
trolling though.

Tony Cooper:
If I adopted your juvenile style of writing, I'd add "Hilarious",
"haha", or "Ironic".

Sandman:
Poor Andreas.

I thought you claimed expert English. You shouldn't be baffled.

The pontificating popinjay just wants free English grammar lessons. He
refuses to learn, and discussion is pointless.

--
PeterN
Old April 2nd 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 4/1/2014 9:44 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On 1 Apr 2014 08:00:42 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

But, no, I don't think your error was "unforgiving"[sic]. Nor is it
unforgivable. (Funny how "Ironic" comes and bites you in the ass.)

How so? I am not posting spelling and grammar flames, and I am fully aware
that I make such mistakes, so no irony to bite my ass here. Only guys like
you that has some form of pride invested in these matters and post
spelling/grammar flames are subject to the irony when you make errors
yourself.

Did you miss yet another point? The error is not capable of
forgiving. It may be forgiven, or forgivable, but it can't be an
unforgiving error.

Now, do your usual weasel word waltz and explain how you didn't make a
mistake.

Error Flynn was quite forgiving, especially of the sins of young
wenches. (not to be confused with monkey wench benobo chimps.)

--
PeterN
Old April 2nd 14, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper:
What he ignores is that in *all* purchases
online, there is no sales help available. Any help the
customer gets at a retail store is more than what any online
seller offers. If nothing else, the buyer at a retail store
gets to handle the camera before purchase.

nospam:
false. some online sellers have a *lot* of sales help on their
site, including extensive faqs, video demos, wizards that ask
questions to narrow down the choices, phone support and even
online chat for questions, user reviews and links to other
information.

Sandman:
Oh, poor Tony, who made such a huge deal out of his claim that you
had "ignored" this "fact".

What? Yes, he ignored it in the original post.

....says the illiterate old guy from Florida.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 2nd 14, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper:
nospam goes into every discussion thinking that his position is
the only right position.

nospam:
everyone does that. that's what drives discussions. who goes into
a discussion thinking that they're wrong??

You could respond to what I said, not what I didn't say. I don't
phrase my comments without thought.

Hehe

There's a vast difference between thinking you are right and thinking
that your position is the *only* right position. When there are options
of ways to do things, there is often more than one right way to do them.

How did that change nospam's reply, Tony? If he would have said:

"who goes into a discussion thinking their position is wrong?"

It wouldn't have changed his meaning at all. No one does that. Humble and
mature people can have their position swayed when proof and substantiations
are brought forward, and then we have people like you, who will argue your
position for days no matter how insane it is.

nospam:
false. some online sellers have a *lot* of sales help on their
site, including extensive faqs, video demos, wizards that ask
questions to narrow down the choices, phone support and even
online chat for questions, user reviews and links to other
information.

some sellers have very generous return policies so you can buy and
handle the product with no risk, other than having to ship it back
if you don't like it, which is nothing more than a quick trip to
the post office.

Tony Cooper:
It's always the buyer's responsibility to do their own homework.
There's no reason the in-store buyer can't check the reviews and
customer ratings of something before they make the purchase.

nospam:
nobody said they can't do that, but most people don't.

If that's true, then all that "online help" above isn't going to be
taken advantage of either.

Why not? It is found in direct relation to the product they're vieweing
online. Checking reviews and ratings *before* you enter a store isn't
really a smooth buyer experience.

I don't know how you come to the conclusion about "most people",
though. It's that kind of hand-waving hyperbole that's a turn-off.

Yeah...

Tony Cooper
10/20/2013

"They are called "bridge cameras". If you write "bridges",
most people would understand what you mean."

Tony Cooper
08/17/2013

"Most people wouldn't have to move anything prior
to import, but the suggestion was made to someone who has
accumulated 32,000 images with what I consider to be a
rather cumbersome folder/file naming system."

Tony Cooper
08/11/2013

"Adopting the catch phrase associated with bullies is not
exactly what most people would want to do."

Tony Cooper
Fireworks
07/07/2013

"Most people just include the burst, and that's overdone."

Tony Cooper
05/31/2013

"Oh. Well, so what? It's an establishing shot that is one
of a series. Not one that most people would look at
closely."

There's more, of course, but still - what a "turn off"!

Tony Cooper:
He won't be able to. That's typical hyperbole from nospam.

nospam:
i am *always* able to back up what i say. as i said in another
post, i was looking for a lens case and a local store had one for
around $30 and b&h had it for $17 or so (i don't remember exact
prices). that's about double.

So a $10 difference, after shipping charges, of one item establishes
that camera stores charge double? And, you had to wait for
delivery. What if you needed it today? What if what is offered
online is a knock-off product from China that isn't as good a
quality?

Tony working hard to make it seem the prices quoted aren't "about double"
by adding unrelated parameters. And now B&H sells low-quality knock-offs
from China?

It all comes around to my position that there is often more than one
"right" way to do things.

As long as it's not nospam's way to do things, that is. That can never be
right, no matter what.

Buying online can be the right thing and buying from a store can be the
right thing. You can't discount other people's preferences just because
they aren't yours.

I suppose this is where you should be quoting nospam discounting other
people's preferences?

Slightly off-topic...the father of one of the boys on my grandson's
Babe Ruth baseball team recently purchased a Canon 70D with a 18-135
lens from Best Buy. He showed me the receipt, and it was almost
$2,000 with bag, two 32 gig cards, bag, and some sort of extended
warranty. He doesn't know what "RAW" is, he shoots on whatever
Canon's Auto setting is, he doesn't know what ISO is, and he has no
idea how to capture sports scenes.

Did he do the right thing? Not from my perspective, but he's happy.
It was right for him.

What does "right" have to do with it? It's his money and no one but himself
can judge whether he spent them wisely. Not being knowledgable about camera
details does not make this an "incorrect" purchase, for all we know, he has
always nurtured a desire to learn more about it, in which case a 70D is a
perfectly good choice.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 2nd 14, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , PeterN wrote:

Neil Ellwood:
I thought you claimed expert English. You shouldn't be baffled.

The pontificating popinjay just wants free English grammar lessons.
He refuses to learn, and discussion is pointless.

When did you ever discuss anything, Peter?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 2nd 14, 11:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 13:52:27 +0000, Sandman wrote:

In article , Neil Ellwood
wrote:

Sandman:
I actually missed that, I thought it was "none" you were in
reference to, which sort of speaks to how low your credibility
with regards to English is and how any comment you make about it
will be doubted until you give anything substantial.

I'm still baffled about the "gross" part though, but that's just
you trolling though.

Tony Cooper:
Use that dictionary you keep copy/pasting from: gross =
unattractively large or bloated.

Sandman:
I am perfectly aware of the meaning of the word "gross", which is why
I am baffled by your misuse of it. Accidentally writing "is" when one
should have written "are" is pretty much one of the tiniest and
"non-bloated" ways to make a grammar mistake.

That being said, a "gross" mistake is not something that is likened
to being large or bloated, you picked the wrong definition. Words
mean several things, and "gross" when used to describe a mistake is
more aptly defined with the "vulgar, unrefined" part of the Oxford
definition of the word, as opposed to something related to size. Or
even the "complete, blatant" one.

You are using an incorrect interpretation. 'Gross' in this context is
an indefinite numerical simile.

Tony has already claimed it was used to mean "unnattractively large or
bloated", which is hardly indefinite. Even so, "gross" isn't used to
mean "minor" or "slight", which "indefinite" would suggest is possible.
"Gross" is used - when used as a numerical simlie, which Tony didn't -
to denote something above or more than ordinary. It can be used to be
the opposite of detailed as well.

Sandman:
In this case, either definition is equally ill-fitted though, which
is why you used it of course.

And that is why you are wrong.

You just can't put into words why.

And you don't understand what you are arguing about. You should read what
people are telling you and not make up your own explanations,

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old April 2nd 14, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:59:47 +0000, Sandman wrote:

In article , PeterN wrote:

Neil Ellwood:
I thought you claimed expert English. You shouldn't be baffled.

The pontificating popinjay just wants free English grammar lessons.
He refuses to learn, and discussion is pointless.

When did you ever discuss anything, Peter?

carefully.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’