Adams at The Getty

Old March 17th 14, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Adams at The Getty

It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...ay-5323226.php

http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html

Savageduck

Old March 18th 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Frank S

"Savageduck" wrote in message
It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...ay-5323226.php

http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html

Certainly does.

Just not on May 10, eh?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

--
Frank ess

Old March 18th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-18 00:24:17 +0000, "Frank S" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message
It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...ay-5323226.php

http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html

Certainly does.

Just not on May 10, eh?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

That

Warbirds, Wings, and Wheels show is a little less than it promises.
There is no air show as such, just the static display aircraft at the
Estrella Warbird Museum, they also have a decent collection of motor
vehicles. So those are available to see at any time.
http://www.ewarbirds.org
Then the local hotrod enthusiasts and many others from parts of the
Central Coast, and valley towns such as Fresno & Bakersfield use it as
an opportunity to show/display their cars, many are repeat visitors and
occasionally some odd and unique stuff will show up. The big thing is,
it is free, it is worth seeing once, and probably going every alternate
year to see if there had been any changes and new vehicles. However, if
something else hits my calendar, there is always next year.

The show worth seeing at Paso Robles Airport is the "Warbirds Over
Paso" air show which is done in collaboration with the Chino "Planes of
Fame" museum in November.
http://www.ewarbirds.org/wop14/index.shtml

Savageduck

Old March 18th 14, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Jeff

Savageduck wrote in

It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...Adams-photos-o
n-display-5323226.php

http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html

There is an exhibition of his work in Indianapolis this Summer, also.

http://www.eiteljorg.org/explore/exh...ns/ansel-adams

---

Old March 20th 14, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 04:11:01 GMT, Jeff wrote:
: Savageduck wrote in
: news:2014031622253916211-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
:
: It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.
:
: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...Adams-photos-o
: n-display-5323226.php
:
: http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html
:
:
: There is an exhibition of his work in Indianapolis this Summer, also.
:
: http://www.eiteljorg.org/explore/exh...ns/ansel-adams

Martha and I have seen two (quite different) Adams exhibits in the Boston area
in the past eight or ten years. Both were well worth seeing. Watch for the
enormous murals he did for some San Francisco bank and for the picture of one
of the minor falls in (I think) Yosemite, where he overprinted a mirror image
to enhance the effect. Adams is one of the more interesting photographers of
his time. Like Benjamin Franklin, he was arguably born too early to get the
most out of his life. If Adams were, say, fifty years old today, he might be
the world's leading expert on Photoshop.

Bob
Old March 20th 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 3/19/2014 10:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
[...]

Absolutely true, and yet the f64 school claims to abhor image
manipulation with PS.

--
PeterN
Old March 20th 14, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-20 18:45:48 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Since when did any of the members of the f/64 school ever have access to PS?

Savageduck

Old March 21st 14, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_4_]

On 3/20/2014 4:37 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-03-20 18:45:48 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I was talking about the modern day successors, such as Stephen Johnson,
who believes that PS should only be used to make only those PS
adjustments that do minor color adjustments, levels, curves, etc. No
removal of objects; no image distortion, etc.I took a one week workshop
with him, and admire and respect him. At the end of April I am going ot
a half day seminar his is conducting. But that doesn't mean I agree with
his style.

Old March 21st 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Neil Ellwood

On 2014-03-20 18:45:48 +0000, PeterN

: Savageduck wrote in :
:
: It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth taking.
:
:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...-Adams-photos-

: n-display-5323226.php :
[...]

Good for you.
We all like differing things in this life and just because anyone does
something a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way. Finding your
own style gives a person pleasure.

It was my wife's birthday last saturday and the whole family went for a
meal at one of the local chines restaurants. My daughter had forgotten her
camera and mine was the only one at the dinner. After the dinner Marion
(my daughter) asked if she could download the photos (only a few) for her
album on her tablet.

The difference between our results was amazing.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old March 21st 14, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mayayana

| Martha and I have seen two (quite different) Adams exhibits in the Boston
area
| in the past eight or ten years. Both were well worth seeing.

I think I may have also seen those. At the MFA and
the Essex Museum? I greatly enjoyed the former exhibit,
maybe 3-4 years ago. The latter, probably about a year
ago, I found disappointing. There were lots of landscapes,
like beaches with sunlight playing on surfaces. Nothing
in that exhibit moved me. It seemed that he was really
just experimenting with light effects. If you saw that same
exhibit I'd be curious to hear your take on it.