Nikon d710?

Old August 19th 14, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon d710?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:18:33 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-08-19 02:43:35 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/18/2014 8:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

You brought this particular Leica into this war zone, and initiated
another sub-thread skirmish. So it is your problem. What specifically
was it you pal liked about this Leica that he felt compelled to spend a
stupid amount of extra $$$.

That is his issue. When my wife wants a new refridgerater even though
our current one is fine, I really don't care. It makes her happy. No
reason to question a friend on how he spends his money.

However, there is no harm in asking; "Why on Earth woul you have paid ±
$700 for that Leica, when you could have got the same camera, with the
same specifications in the Panasonic for $300 less?"

He will not starve.

So what? It is a pretentious buy. If he had bought a pure Leica such as
the "X Vario", or even spring for an "M", I would be less critical.
Since he obviously has the financial resources to do so.
http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-X/Leica-X-Vario
http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-E

I don't know whether I would make that choice.

My bank balance and my pension have already made that choice for me.
Gadget envy not withstanding, I await a lottery win.

BTW I think the Panasonic is a fine camera.

It remains identical in specification and function to the Leica, ...or
is it the other way around?

Not quite identical, if android is correct when he reported "The Leica
produces RWL raw and the cheapoo Pana RW2!!!" The firmware is
different in some way, even if only to produce different raw file
names.

What else is different?
Enquiring minds want to know.

Eric Stevens
Old August 19th 14, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 2014-08-18 15:12:30 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/18/2014 9:50 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 8/18/2014 8:41 AM, android wrote:
In article , PeterN

On 2014-08-15 14:46, PeterN wrote:

On 2014-08-14 19:22:20 +0000, android said:

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android

wrote:

the nikon d610 is $1900 at b&h

the d300s was about $1700.

what if nikon comes out with a full frame camera for
$1500?
or
less?

Than it would have less features...

obviously.

that didn't stop nikon from making a d3300 and d5300, which
have
fewer
features than a d610 or d7100.

Those are HF (half frame) cameras...

the d3300 has fewer features than a d5300 which has fewer
features
than
a d7100, all of which are crop sensor cameras.

one of the features that they all don't have over the d610 is
full
frame sensor.

Nope! They are half frame...

Actually the D610 is FF.
---
Off course. I thought you were referring to the Dxx00's. Those
are
half
frame, Canon x0D and xx0D and M are half frame too. Olympus and
Panasonic are quarter frame... I'm not sure of what the Nikon
One
is
but
Mini. ;-p

I tested one. IMHO it is a POS.

It most certainly must be most limited compered to what you
usually
use.
OTOH, surely it can be useful if you are aware of it's
limitations.
still like my Ixuses... ;-)

One of my frinds go the Leica Dlux and really likes it.

That's a PanaLeica right? The Panasonic variant is usually a few
cent's
cheaper... If someones interested.

I doubt it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1036245-REG/leica_18134_d_lux_6_edition_100.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Compact-Cameras/Leica-D-Lux-6

That's

the same camera as the Panasonic DHC-LX7

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Nope.

There are a lot of similarities, but they are two different cameras.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Leica-D-Lux-6-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX7

Read the specs and state which spec is different in each. You are paying
hefty price for a little red nameplate.

They are only superficially different cameras due to physical
appearance.
Under the skin they are identical. The biggest difference is the $398
list
price difference for essentially the same performance.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=leica_dlux6&products=panasonic_dmclx 7
or
http://tinyurl.com/n5bfjwy

Yes, superficially different. The only real differences are the red dot
and, as Android pointed out, different firmware yielding a different RAW
format.

More importantly, I was going to text you this evening. We had dinner at
the Cooperage Inn, and were thinking of Snowflake. My wife is not allowed
sugar or anything dairy, and I really didn't need it.

We had a cute young waitress. I asked for a female lobster and she made
the mistake of asking how you tell the difference. I told her she was old
enough to know the difference between a male and a female. Wow! did she
ever blush.

My wife and I like the Cooperage Inn, it's a nice place. And I do like
lobster, it's the only seafood I eat. Topping it off with a visit to
Snowflakes makes for a great night.

Old August 19th 14, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-08-18 22:45:45 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/18/2014 12:05 PM, PAS wrote:

On 2014-08-14 19:22:20 +0000, android said:

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android

wrote:

the nikon d610 is $1900 at b&h

the d300s was about $1700.

what if nikon comes out with a full frame camera for $1500?
or
less?

Than it would have less features...

obviously.

that didn't stop nikon from making a d3300 and d5300, which
have
fewer
features than a d610 or d7100.

Those are HF (half frame) cameras...

the d3300 has fewer features than a d5300 which has fewer
features
than
a d7100, all of which are crop sensor cameras.

one of the features that they all don't have over the d610 is a
full
frame sensor.

Nope! They are half frame...

Actually the D610 is FF.
---

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8134_d_lux_6_e
dition_100.html

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Compact-Cameras/Leica-D-Lux-6

That's

the same camera as the Panasonic DHC-LX7

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dmc_lx7k_Lumix
_LX7_Digital_Camera.html

Nope.

There are a lot of similarities, but they are two different cameras.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Leica-D-Lux-6-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX7

Same camera, different price

http://snapsort.com/compare/Leica-D-...-DMC-LX7/specs

Not my problem.

You brought this particular Leica into this war zone, and initiated
another sub-thread skirmish. So it is your problem. What specifically
was it you pal liked about this Leica that he felt compelled to spend a
stupid amount of extra $$$.

$500 i he shopped at BH!

--
PeterN
Old August 19th 14, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/19/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

snip

More importantly, I was going to text you this evening. We had dinner at
the Cooperage Inn, and were thinking of Snowflake. My wife is not allowed
sugar or anything dairy, and I really didn't need it.

We had a cute young waitress. I asked for a female lobster and she made
the mistake of asking how you tell the difference. I told her she was old
enough to know the difference between a male and a female. Wow! did she
ever blush.

My wife and I like the Cooperage Inn, it's a nice place. And I do like
lobster, it's the only seafood I eat. Topping it off with a visit to
Snowflakes makes for a great night.

The Coop is our go to place when Tanger Mall is on the itenerary. But,
as I said before Snowflake omes in third behind McNulty's and Magic
Fountain.
Bsck to photography, there is still two osprey in the nest just before
East Marion, on the South side of the road, across from the DEC boat ramp.

--
PeterN
Old August 19th 14, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 8/19/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I've seen the osprey there. Right before you get to the nest, there is a
side road on your right. Years ago, I took a turn down there one day and
found a huge snapping turtle in the middle of the road

http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Animal...IMG06058-L.jpg

http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Animal...IMG06051-L.jpg

The next time you're at the Tanger Mall, stop into the Movado store and ask
for Judah, that's my younger son. He works there, he's finishing up at Suny
Stony Brook and still waiting to be called into the NYPD.

Old August 19th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/19/2014 3:09 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 8/19/2014 9:04 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Those guys can be really mean, and they can reach a lot further than you
might expect.

The next time you're at the Tanger Mall, stop into the Movado store and ask
for Judah, that's my younger son. He works there, he's finishing up at Suny
Stony Brook and still waiting to be called into the NYPD.

I stay away from that store. My wife has enough Movado watches and I
have two Movados, plus two cheap titanium Skagens. I can only wear
watches that have either surgical steel, or titanium bands. I don't know
about you, but I would rather have a new lens than another watch. I am
waiting to see if the Tamron 150-600 lives up to its hype.

--
PeterN
Old August 20th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

says...

On 2014-08-19 02:43:35 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

People who buy the Leicasonics are like people who bought Cadillac
Cimarrons (a rebadged Chevy Cavalier with some different trim) and
deluded themselves that they were buying Cadillacs.

It's a smart move by Leica--the Leicasonics are good equipment and
getting more than double the price just by changing a few stickers is
brilliant marketing, but it shows just how gullible the status-conscious
can be.
Old August 20th 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 19:46:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"

says...

On 2014-08-19 02:43:35 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I would still like to know what, if anything, is different about their
firmware.

Eric Stevens
Old August 20th 14, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

On 2014-08-19 02:43:35 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Ain't there anyone out there that got both???
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old August 20th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:59:37 +0200, android wrote:

It's a smart move by Leica--the Leicasonics are good equipment and
getting more than double the price just by changing a few stickers is
brilliant marketing, but it shows just how gullible the status-conscious
can be.

I would still like to know what, if anything, is different about their
firmware.

Ain't there anyone out there that got both???

dpreview?

Eric Stevens