filename rollover in D70

Old April 22nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default filename rollover in D70

I just recently got a 4GB CF card to use with my Nikon D70.
Playing with the modes, I discover that I can get over 15000 images
(camera estimated) using the "Small" format, and the "Basic" level of
JPEG compression.

While I don't expect to use that setting (after all, I got this
card so I can shoot in Raw more of the time), I just happened to realize
that the image filenames are of the format DSC_####.JPG, which means
that the image filenames would roll over at DSC_9999.JPG -- unless it
will expand into replacing the '_' with another digit.

Has anyone actually seen what happens when you roll over? I
reset my filename to "0000" at the start of each year, so I've never
gotten that high.

I guess that I could set the filename to "DSC_9999.JPG" and
shoot a couple of shots to roll it over. Hmm ... nope, I could reset
it to zero, but not preset it to a specific value.

I *could* create another subdirectory (which they call "folder"
in the menu), and switch to that in the middle of a shooting session,
but that strikes me as awkward.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old April 22nd 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

According to Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) :
On 21 Apr 2006 23:32:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

I just recently got a 4GB CF card to use with my Nikon D70.

Has anyone actually seen what happens when you roll over?

[ ... ]

The folder # increments and the file numbering begins again.

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old April 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

It would be nice if there was an option to use the time & date as the
file name. That's what happens when you shoot tethered to a laptop and
it's the only option in that mode AFAAIK so it kind of messes up the
consistency.

PS the second to last EXIF item is the number of shots done on the
camera, mine reads 33119 as of yesterday evening but that includes some
time lapse movies shot at that lowest smallest setting.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:37:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Jim

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Has anyone actually seen what happens when you roll over? I
reset my filename to "0000" at the start of each year, so I've never
gotten that high.

Didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me how it's done?

Doesn't anyone take 30 sec to RTFM anymore? Hint: get a copy of the manual
in PDF off the Nikon Tech Support Site so you can keyword search or at
least use the internal links.

From p. 157:

Folder Names
On the memory card, folder names are preceded by a three-digit folder
number assigned automatically by the camera (e.g., 100NCD70) Each folder
can contain up to 999 photographs. If a photograph is taken when the
current folder contains 999 files or a picture numbered 9999, the camera
will create a new folder by adding one to the current folder number (e.g.,
101NCD70). For the purposes of selection and naming, all folders with the
same name are treated as the same folder. For example, if the folder NIKON
is selected, pictures in all folders named NIKON (100NIKON, 101NIKON,
102NIKON, etc.) will be visible when Current is selected in the Playback fl
dr menu ( 126). Renaming similarly applies to all folders with the same
name. During shooting, pictures are stored in the highest-numbered folder
with the selected name.

and from p. 159:

File No. Seq.
When a photograph is taken, the camera names the new file by adding one to
the last file number used. This option controls whether file numbering
continues from the last number used when a new folder is created, the
memory card is formatted, or a new memory card is inserted in the camera.
Highlight File No. Seq. in the setup menu ( 155) and press the multi
selector to the right. Press the multi selector up or down to highlight an
option, then press to the right to make a selection.

Option Description
On
When new folder is created, memory card is formatted, or new memory card
inserted in camera, file numbering continues from last number used. If
photograph is taken when current folder contains photograph numbered 9999,
new folder will be created automatically and file numbering will begin
again from 0001.

Off
(default) File numbering reset to 0001 when new folder is created, memory
card is formatted or new memory card is inserted in camera.

Reset
As for On, except file numbering is reset to 0001 with next photograph
taken (new folder will be created if current folder already contains
photographs).

--
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Old April 22nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:37:38 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Paul
Furman wrote:

It would be nice if there was an option to use the time & date as the
file name. That's what happens when you shoot tethered to a laptop and
it's the only option in that mode AFAAIK so it kind of messes up the
consistency.

Is this through Nikon Capture? Then it's the software and not the camera
firmware doing the naming.

Yes Nikon Capture control. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a way to get
normal file names that way.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old April 23rd 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Has anyone actually seen what happens when you roll over? I
reset my filename to "0000" at the start of each year, so I've never
gotten that high.

Didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me how it's done?

Doesn't anyone take 30 sec to RTFM anymore? Hint: get a copy of the manual
in PDF off the Nikon Tech Support Site so you can keyword search or at
least use the internal links.

I read it through two or three times when the camera was
relatively new. At the time, I could not get enough images to trigger
the mode on the 1GB CF cards which I had, so I promptly forgot that
part. (There are other things which I have forgotten as well, I am
sure.)

The PDF version for keyword-searchable mode is a good idea. The
dead-tree manual lives in a pocket in my gadget bag, along with the
manual for the SB-800.

From p. 157:

Folder Names
On the memory card, folder names are preceded by a three-digit folder
number assigned automatically by the camera (e.g., 100NCD70) Each folder
can contain up to 999 photographs. If a photograph is taken when the
current folder contains 999 files or a picture numbered 9999, the camera
will create a new folder by adding one to the current folder number (e.g.,
101NCD70).

*This* is going to be a nuisance with the 4GB CF card, I can
see. I have a script which copies the contents of 100NCD70 to a couple
of unix directories on separate filesystems, and I'm going to need to
re-write it to deal with multiple directories, and with the possible
rollover of the image number as well. That means that it will need to
detect the 9999 number and change the '_' to '1' in the subsequent
filenames. I guess that I will still be safe with RAW images, at least.

For the purposes of selection and naming, all folders with the
same name are treated as the same folder. For example, if the folder NIKON
is selected, pictures in all folders named NIKON (100NIKON, 101NIKON,
102NIKON, etc.) will be visible when Current is selected in the Playback fl
dr menu ( 126). Renaming similarly applies to all folders with the same
name. During shooting, pictures are stored in the highest-numbered folder
with the selected name.

And -- *why* did the not start with "000NCD70" or "001NCD70", so
it would be more obvious that this was the start of an automatic sequence.

and from p. 159:

Which is what the index in the manual led me to.

This one does not mention the folder increment with 999 images
in a given folder.

I wonder whether this is all a result of the limitations of the
FAT filesystem (whichever version is actually used here).

Old April 23rd 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Has anyone actually seen what happens when you roll over? I
reset my filename to "0000" at the start of each year, so I've never
gotten that high.

Didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me how it's done?

Doesn't anyone take 30 sec to RTFM anymore? Hint: get a copy of the manual
in PDF off the Nikon Tech Support Site so you can keyword search or at
least use the internal links.

I read it through two or three times when the camera was
relatively new. At the time, I could not get enough images to trigger
the mode on the 1GB CF cards which I had, so I promptly forgot that
part. (There are other things which I have forgotten as well, I am
sure.)

Been there, done that, must be my aging memory bank G. Thanks to Don
and Ed for pointing me to the solution.
The PDF version for keyword-searchable mode is a good idea. The
dead-tree manual lives in a pocket in my gadget bag, along with the
manual for the SB-800.

From p. 157: