Canon and Panasonic: updated models

Old May 28th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

Default Canon and Panasonic: updated models

On 28/05/10 3:41 AM, F wrote:

snip

The temptation to wait for the next new iteration, however, was never
very strong. I was just concerned that if I bought today and a new one
was announced tomorrow I might just have missed something that was
'better'. Note the *might*!

We're really at the point now where there's not going to be any
significant improvements unless there is some new sensor technology that
emerges. Other than SLRs with larger sensors, even the megapixel wars
seem to have mostly ended because the manufacturers don't want to
further reduce the high ISO performance or increase noise. Also, what
often happens is the replacement model is worse than the one it
replaces, not better, because features that are deemed too costly are
removed, i.e. optical viewfinder, articulated LCD, etc.

The interchangeable lens non-DSLRs are the new market segment that Sony
and the Micro 4:3 consortium is trying to promote but it's unclear that
there's any demand for such a system that lacks many of the advantages
of D-SLRs, and addresses only the question of physical size.
Old May 28th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"SMS" wrote in message
On 28/05/10 6:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

I kill-filed him years ago. His lack of knowledge is not limited just to
digital cameras, but extends to other fields as well. It's amusing at
first, then as you stated, it gets boring.

He's a member in good standing of my kill file as well...

The sad thing about John is that, as has been previously pointed out, his
comments seem more intended to justify his purchase than to explore the art
/ science of picture taking.

As a recent purchaser of a superzoom, I like it, and I believe it can
produce better pics than my Rebel XSi in a limited number of situations, but
the overall nod has to go to the DSLR because of the larger sensor and lens
interchangeability.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old May 28th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
nospam

In article XNTLn.5310$z%6.360@edtnps83, Dudley Hanks
wrote:

The sad thing about John is that, as has been previously pointed out, his
comments seem more intended to justify his purchase than to explore the art
/ science of picture taking.

very true, and he considers anything other than what he purchased is
junk. point out an advantage of a different product and it's "i don't
need that feature." that's wonderful but other people might.

As a recent purchaser of a superzoom, I like it, and I believe it can
produce better pics than my Rebel XSi in a limited number of situations, but
the overall nod has to go to the DSLR because of the larger sensor and lens
interchangeability.

of course. it depends whether someone wants convenience and portability
versus quality and flexibility. there's a reason why pro photographers
don't use compact digicams.
Old May 28th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
SMS

On 28/05/10 11:18 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
wrote in message
On 28/05/10 6:05 AM, Bowser wrote:

Yes, I know the issue and I know Navas' tactics very well. He makes
ridiculous claims and never provides any proof to back them. I'll pass
on the banter this time. It's tiring and he's beginning to really bore
me.

I kill-filed him years ago. His lack of knowledge is not limited just to
digital cameras, but extends to other fields as well. It's amusing at
first, then as you stated, it gets boring.

He's a member in good standing of my kill file as well...

The sad thing about John is that, as has been previously pointed out, his
comments seem more intended to justify his purchase than to explore the art
/ science of picture taking.

It's always amusing, though rather sad, to see Usenet (and other forum)
posts where the sole purpose of the poster is to try to justify their
purchase. It's as if it's a personal insult when someone points out even
the slightest flaw in the product and why some other product might be
better.

For most people, there's not a single item they've ever purchased that
they could not point out some issue with, and often they were well aware
of the issue prior to the purchase. If someone asks about something they
own, they're likely to be honest about it and point out both the pros
and cons, and why they made their selection.

As a recent purchaser of a superzoom, I like it, and I believe it can
produce better pics than my Rebel XSi in a limited number of situations, but
the overall nod has to go to the DSLR because of the larger sensor and lens
interchangeability.

For outdoor photos in good light with non-moving subjects, a superzoom
can produce good results, and is certainly more convenient than a D-SLR.
The reason why D-SLR sales are going up so much faster is the situations
where they excel--low light, moving subjects, and better wide angle and
telephoto lenses than the compromise lenses on the ZLRs.
Old May 28th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
C. Werner

On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:55:01 -0700 (PDT), DanP
wrote:

On May 28, 2:40*am, John Navas wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:22:59 -0700, SMS
wrote in :

On 27/05/10 4:22 PM, Bowser wrote:

Uh, not really. I own an FZ35 and while I love it, it's clearly not in
the same league as any DSLR with regards to image quality or AF speed.
Not to say it's bad; it's quite good. But nowhere near a DSLR.

You've got to understand the issue here. Apparently our favorite troll
has an FZ-35/FZ-38 so by default that camera becomes the perfect camera
and it can have no faults.

Unlike you and I, who could objectively look at most any item we own and
point out both its highs and lows to someone who inquires about it,
there are people that immediately after purchasing an item feel
compelled to justify the purchase to the entire world and make it clear
that their purchasing decision was in fact the best possible one. It's
deep-seated insecurity that causes this behavior.

The reality is that it at low ISO settings the FZ-35/FZ-38 produces
acceptable results, and it has many highly desirable features.
But it is neither the best quality ZLR in terms of noise or image
quality, nor is it anywhere close to quality of a D-SLR.

The actual reality is that you have zero experience with any of these
cameras, and have no idea what you're talking about.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams

Erm, have you ever tried a DSLR?

DanP

I sold my favorite one (and gave a couple away) when I found out that
high-quality P&S cameras were far more adaptable and versatile with just as
good, if not better, image quality in some of them. You might want to
actually compare cameras some day and put them through their paces instead
of listening to all the insecure trolls online trying to justify why they
wasted so much money trying to get their DSLRs to get decent snapshots. If
you had as many wide-ranging creative requirements as I do for my
photographic gear, and could actually think for yourself, you'd ditch your
DSLRs too.

Old May 28th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
LOL!

On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:18:31 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

And you would know this because ....

You actually see the images you take?

News Flash: Blind Photographer hired by DPReview to do all their latest
camera and lens reviews. Word has it that he's even better than their
present camera reviewers. (Actually, there wouldn't be much difference.)

LOL!

Old May 28th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Russ D

wrote:

The sad thing about John is that, as has been previously pointed out, his
comments seem more intended to justify his purchase than to explore the art
/ science of picture taking.

very true, and he considers anything other than what he purchased is
junk. point out an advantage of a different product and it's "i don't
need that feature." that's wonderful but other people might.

As a recent purchaser of a superzoom, I like it, and I believe it can
produce better pics than my Rebel XSi in a limited number of situations, but
the overall nod has to go to the DSLR because of the larger sensor and lens
interchangeability.

of course. it depends whether someone wants convenience and portability
versus quality and flexibility. there's a reason why pro photographers
don't use compact digicams.

More words coming from a role-playing pretend-photographer troll.

MANY Pros use P&S cameras. I being one of them.

You forget, nospam, that we've PROVED that you have never used any camera
in your lifetime. You only know about the imaginary ones you hold inside
that little head of yours.

Old May 28th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Henry Olson

wrote in message
[...]

That's all complete and total nonsense coming from a troll that has never
used any of these cameras. EVER.

Old May 28th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

wrote in message
[...]

In my case, my SX120 has a f/2.8 IS lens and an ISO 3200 setting which help
it outperform my XSi in certain low-light situations, since I don't have a
large-apertured, long focal-length lens for the XSi.

It goes without saying that, if I were to pick up a f/2.8 70 - 200mm EOS
lens, the situation would quickly reverse itself, as the quicker DSLR
performance, lower noise sensorand superior optics of the lens could not be
surpassed in a $250 P&S package.

Also, given I don't have a macro lens for the XSi, it's pretty easy for the
SX120 to beat the XSi in that catagory.

As an aside, I've had good feedback, initially, about the SX120's HDR-like
wider latitude than the XSi. It seems to do a good job of pulling out
shadow detail and keeping highlights from blowing in most situations.

But, my XSi is a few years old, and newer DSLR's in that price range are
quite likely to have better dynamic range than my cam.

On the flip side, distortion and purple-fringing in SX120 pics is worse than
I'd expected, even after reading several reviews containing warnings about
these problems. It's a good thing my aim isn't spot on at longer focal
lengths, so I'm unlikely to shoot many pics in the longer zoom range.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old May 28th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Jeff Jones

On Fri, 28 May 2010 19:29:44 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

On the flip side, distortion and purple-fringing in SX120 pics is worse than
I'd expected, even after reading several reviews containing warnings about
these problems.

I highly doubt that anyone in your family would know what you were talking
about (judging by the poor quality of photos that they let you post to the
net) let alone them knowing how to compare those things between different
cameras.

You truly are blind. In more ways than one. As are any that would believe
your equipment reviews.