Camera repair tools

Old October 31st 12, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

Default Camera repair tools

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/basic_tool_kit.jpg looks like a good
start. Is anything very obvious missing?

How much torque can those lens spanners (weirdly labelled "real spanner"
in the picture) manage? Is it better to obtain a set of spanners of
different widths?

Daniele
Old December 30th 12, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

On 2012-12-29 15:50:08 -0800, Robert Coe said:

:
: How much torque can those lens spanners (weirdly labelled "real spanner"
: in the picture) manage? Is it better to obtain a set of spanners of
: different widths?

I think they're calling it a "real" spanner to differentiate it from the
modified pliers.

Bob

I believe they are called a "real" spanners only by some, so as to
differentiate between the proper tool for the job and a makeshift tool,
such as trying to use a screwdriver to ease one of those rings loose.
...and they actually function as spanners, by spanning the diameter of
various rings.

For tools for fixing delicate stuff I have always found Micro-Tools to
be a good source.
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...ens-Tools.aspx

In the end I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-DC-Came...r-Wrench-Repai
r-Opening-Open-Tools-/170902068720?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

which I think was reasonable value, and much better made and stronger
than I expected it to be.

It's certainly capable of handling far more torque than I had expected.

Daniele

--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Old January 2nd 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rob

(D.M. Procida) wrote:
[...]

This is a better proposition than the above ebay tool, more control over
what your doing (I have both, the other set being made in India)

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-S...Ring-Tool.aspx

This adjusts better and is less likely to slip.

Another tool I have is lens vice to repair the filter ring - good for
old metal lenses which have been knocked at the front.