Seeking photos.....

Old April 1st 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
^Ebony-Temuchin^

Default Seeking photos.....

jim wrote:
"^Ebony-Temuchin^" wrote in message
jim wrote:
Not at all they don't.

I haven't restricted myself to just "free" photography. (God knows its
expensive taking digital pictures nowadays - what with all of the
clicking and everything.).

And time to take the photo and time to process it from raw, petrol to get
to the location you take the shot, power to charge the battery and run the
computer.

How much does it cost you to sit at a keyboard and tap tap tap out a poem?
Do you give your books away?

It doesn't cost me a thing. I do it in my spare time because it is
something that I love to do.

And, no I don't give the hard copy books away, however I would gladly give
away the ebooks.

Salt with that foot?

jim

And you expect people to help you while you carry on like a ****wit.
Back under the bridge you go Troll.

--
"If someone had told me in 1989 that the BBS I started would eventually
become Usenet" - Douglas

http://groups.google.com.au/group/au...b383a7d3a33dc3
Old April 1st 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Burt Johnson

jim wrote:

That's a great site. I use it for photos for websites mostly.

But, the majority of the photos that I have seen there are staged. I am
looking for actual moments in time where a person was caught doing a good
deed.

The reason most are staged is because of the requirement for a model
release for any photo in which anyone is identifiable, even if only in a
crowd. That makes it pretty hard to post any "man on fhe street"
photos.

There are a lot of other sites out there, but I haven't really looked
into them. If you find one with relaxed model releases, let us know.

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
Old April 1st 08, 04:21 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
jim

"Burt Johnson" wrote in message
jim wrote:

That's a great site. I use it for photos for websites mostly.

But, the majority of the photos that I have seen there are staged. I am
looking for actual moments in time where a person was caught doing a good
deed.

The reason most are staged is because of the requirement for a model
release for any photo in which anyone is identifiable, even if only in a
crowd. That makes it pretty hard to post any "man on fhe street"
photos.

There are a lot of other sites out there, but I haven't really looked
into them. If you find one with relaxed model releases, let us know.

What about photojournalism images? Do those also require a model release?

Like the famous photos that you see in Time and such.... Those are real
people in real moments of action. That's what I'm searching for - just of
people being caught doing a good deed.

jim

Old April 1st 08, 04:22 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
jim

jim wrote:
[...]

You haven't helped helped ****. All I've gotten from you is whining about
some irrational fear that I was looking for free photos - which I NEVER
said.

If my taking offense to the trash that's your tossing my way offends you,
then sod off.

jim

Old April 1st 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Vance

On Mar 30, 1:29*am, "jim" wrote:
I am seeking photos for a new project. *I want all of the photos of people
helping that I can get.

The people can be helping people or animals. *The "help" can be as simple as
helping someone across the street or as dangerous as dragging a fellow
soldier out of the line of fire. *They can be of humans helping humans or
humans helping animals. *They can even be of people just doing a good deed.

The essence of the picture should be that of a person giving of themselves
to help others.

It would seem that these photos abound...but I am having problems finding
them. *If you have seen such images would you please post links to them
here.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

jim

Your best bet for photos like that would be either photojournalism,
documentary photography or selected images from photo essays. A large
stock company like Getty would probably have what you are looking for
and their material is extensively indexed. Likewise National
Geographic, Associated Press, Time-Life, Paris Match and similar
organizations all license their images. None of them are free, but
they aren't exhorbitant, either.

It may be possible to make some sort of arrangements with an amateur
to use their photos with a credit. However, finding those images is
the problem. You can, as you are doing now, broadcast that you need
the images, or you can contact various photography clubs, but you
would probably get a better response if you provided some details
about the arrangement you are looking for. At the moment, it sounds a
little unfocussed.

Often untapped resources are colleges that have photography courses.
Students are notoriously open to the idea of getting their images out
there and something that is published where they are credited can be
very attractive. At many points during the course there are projects
that need to be shot and the student can propose a project that would
potentially provide you with images. It's a win-win situation. They
have to do the course work anyway and you want pictures.

Vance
Old April 1st 08, 05:35 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
^Ebony-Temuchin^

jim wrote:
[...]

You're the cock spanker that made the sarcastic comment (God knows its
expensive taking digital pictures nowadays - what with all of the
clicking and everything.)

Now off you run your boyfriend is waiting for you in the bedroom with a
bottle of oil.

Old April 1st 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Paul Furman

jim wrote:

That's a great site. I use it for photos for websites mostly.

But, the majority of the photos that I have seen there are staged. I am
looking for actual moments in time where a person was caught doing a good
deed.

The reason most are staged is because of the requirement for a model
release for any photo in which anyone is identifiable, even if only in a
crowd. That makes it pretty hard to post any "man on fhe street"
photos.

There are a lot of other sites out there, but I haven't really looked
into them. If you find one with relaxed model releases, let us know.

What about photojournalism images? Do those also require a model release?

Journalism is treated differently than other commercial enterprises by
law. If the subjects don't complain it's alright for art: based on the
artist's tolerance for lawsuits, but most corporate buyers won't want to
see the possibility of a future complaint.

I have photos of people doing good but they don't make sense without an
explanation and I don't have releases. What you are asking for is some
really legendary photography: not an easy request. I would like to see
what you turn up, sincerely.

Old April 1st 08, 08:25 AM posted to alt.journalism.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.marketplace,rec.photo.misc
Chris H

In message , jim
writes
I am seeking photos for a new project. I want all of the photos of people
helping that I can get.

The people can be helping people or animals. The "help" can be as simple as
helping someone across the street or as dangerous as dragging a fellow
soldier out of the line of fire. They can be of humans helping humans or
humans helping animals. They can even be of people just doing a good deed.

The essence of the picture should be that of a person giving of themselves
to help others.

It would seem that these photos abound...but I am having problems finding
them. If you have seen such images would you please post links to them
here.

I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
jim

Hi Jim,

I think you have learned you needed to phrase this request better.
Perhaps something along the lines of:

" Amateur poet looking to publish book needs to collaborate with
photographer(s) for images to go in book."
"
I think your OP came across as I want free photos to go into a
commercial book."

OTOH because there are so many idiots on the net these days and so many
expect everything for free some of the old hands (and a lot of the plain
arse holes) on here just react without giving the benefit of the doubt.
10-15 years ago (before AOL and the never ending September) the net was
a much nicer place. Everyone was presumed innocent first. Now they are
assumed guilty.

/\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\