Zeiss Ikonta Shutter - Rapid and Synchro - both have flash?

Old March 1st 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default Zeiss Ikonta Shutter - Rapid and Synchro - both have flash?

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
"Ken Hart"

Snipping here....

Back in my college days, (Pennsylvania Governor's School
for the Arts at Bucknell University), we used to sneak
into a dorm room, remove the light bulb from the ceiling
fixture and screw in a flashbulb (#5?). Then we waited for
the occupant to return. 110V was plenty of voltage to fire
those things!

Maybe either a General Electric No.50 or Wabash-Sylvania
No.3. These were about the size of a No.2 photoflood and
were meant to fit into standard studio reflectors. These
lamps are listed as having six million peak lumens. The open
flash guide number for ISO-100 film is around 780. These
were the most powerful bulbs made. If more light was needed
you had to use flash powder.
The GE No.5 or Wabash/Sylvania Press-25 was a bayonet
base bulb, very common for both press and small amateur
cameras.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 1st 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jch

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Ken Hart" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message ...
snip
Press photographers may not be very welcome now but at
least people don't have to deal with fried and broken
flashbulbs all over the place. Pop, sizzle, crunch...

--
---
Richard Knoppow

In one post, you have commented (correctly) on:
1. Electronics theory
2. Obscure cells
3. Voltage smoke-testing (!)
4. Electronics test procedures as related to camera
repair/adjustment
5. Flash bulbs and the history thereof
6. Press cameras
7. Flash synchronization through the ages
8. Social acceptance of representatives of the print
media. ("Press photographers may not be welcome...")

You, sir, are a god! When I grow up, I want to be you-- !

Not right now you don't... I have the flu from hell
despite getting flu shots not long ago. I sure wish someone
would come up with a real cure for this.

I agree with that wish! My wife came home with a "cold" in late
January. My "cold" started on 7 Feb, a week later it became a "flu"
with fever, a week after that i developed a sinus infection, all despite
my having received a flu shot in November. Penicillin killed the sinus
problem. I am in week four, and still have some symptoms. We live in
Victoria, BC. This particular virus strain is a really nasty one, and
widespread from the sounds of it. I know this is off topic, but i
wanted to wish Richard K. a good recovery.

I don't have large format camera, but a 20 year old Pentax 6x7 instead.
Just had the foam light trap gaskets replaced last summer so that i
can go out and take more shots without danger of getting the sticky old
foam bits on the film pressure plate. Typical cost for such a job is
CDN100.
--
Regards / JCH
Old March 2nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"jch" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Ken Hart" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message ...

Snipping here....
You, sir, are a god! When I grow up, I want to be you--
!

[...]

Well, go get yourelf a LF camera, there are lot of
them on the used market right now. It will teach you
patience.
Whatever is going round now is nasty and seems to take
forever to heal. I thought I was getting over this but it
began to get worse again a couple of days ago. No fever,
mostly lots of congestion and a bad cough, slight sore
throat (new symptom). This doesn't have the symptoms of a
bacterial infection. Both colds and flu are viruses so
anti-biotics won't do a thing for them.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 2nd 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jch

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I don't have large format camera, but a 20 year old Pentax 6x7
instead. Just had the foam light trap gaskets replaced last summer
so that i can go out and take more shots without danger of getting
the sticky old foam bits on the film pressure plate. Typical cost
for such a job is CDN100.
--
Regards / JCH

Well, go get yourself a LF camera, there are lot of them on the used
market right now. It will teach you patience.

_____
Richard,

Could you name three brands and formats i should look into? Back in
1982/3 i rented a 4x5 camera once to complete an assignment for a glossy
magazine spread. I used Ektachrome sheet film if i recall correctly.

My Durst enlarger can handle a maximum negative/positive size of 6cm x
9cm. I would need to get another enlarger. My darkroom (still to be
rebuilt) is _very_ small.

Whatever is going round now is nasty and seems to take forever to
heal. I thought I was getting over this but it began to get worse
again a couple of days ago. No fever, mostly lots of congestion and a
bad cough, slight sore throat (new symptom). This doesn't have the
symptoms of a bacterial infection. Both colds and flu are viruses so
anti-biotics won't do a thing for them.

_____
Quite correct. My GP gave me the anti-biotic to act as a preemptive
measure in case the weakened immune system gave pneumonia or sinusitis a
chance to develop. Some people up here actually did develop a pneumonia
after this "cold/flu" combo virus. I don't know if the pneumonia was
the viral or bacterial variety.
--
Regards / JCH
Old March 2nd 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/1/2008 11:22 PM jch spake thus:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I don't have large format camera, but a 20 year old Pentax 6x7
instead. Just had the foam light trap gaskets replaced last summer
so that i can go out and take more shots without danger of getting
the sticky old foam bits on the film pressure plate. Typical cost
for such a job is CDN100.

Well, go get yourself a LF camera, there are lot of them on the used
market right now. It will teach you patience.

Could you name three brands and formats i should look into? Back in
1982/3 i rented a 4x5 camera once to complete an assignment for a glossy
magazine spread. I used Ektachrome sheet film if i recall correctly.

I can recommend one: get a nice used Crown Graphic (*not* a Speed
Graphic), with the Kodak Ektar 127mm lens (one of the most common). Yes,
it lacks movements (tilts, swings, etc.), but it'll get you started very
nicely, and folds up into a nice compact package.

My Durst enlarger can handle a maximum negative/positive size of 6cm x
9cm. I would need to get another enlarger. My darkroom (still to be
rebuilt) is _very_ small.

Like LF cameras, used enlargers are now going very cheaply, either
locally available or on a certain little web auction site. (If you're in
an area served by Craigslist, check there.)

A 4x5 enlarger doesn't take up that much more room than your present one.
Old March 2nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
jch

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Could you name three brands and formats i should look into? Back in
1982/3 i rented a 4x5 camera once to complete an assignment for a glossy
magazine spread. I used Ektachrome sheet film if i recall correctly.

I can recommend one: get a nice used Crown Graphic (*not* a Speed
Graphic), with the Kodak Ektar 127mm lens (one of the most common). Yes,
it lacks movements (tilts, swings, etc.), but it'll get you started very
nicely, and folds up into a nice compact package.

_____
David,

Thanks for this recommendation. Shall start visiting the various local
photographic shops.

My Durst enlarger can handle a maximum negative/positive size of 6cm x
9cm. I would need to get another enlarger. My darkroom (still to be
rebuilt) is _very_ small.

Like LF cameras, used enlargers are now going very cheaply, either
locally available or on a certain little web auction site. (If you're in
an area served by Craigslist, check there.)

A 4x5 enlarger doesn't take up that much more room than your present one.

_____
Fair enough. Have you any recommendations for enlargers? I have
_never_ looked at MF or LF enlargers. Are they mainly condenser types,
or the diffusion types? For example, the condenser in the Durst is
already pretty massive and heavy. I shall also have to design the
enlarger base surface for multiple enlarger mounts.
--
Regards / JCH
Old March 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"jch" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

The usual reason for rejecting the Speed Graphic is
weight, the Crown is lighter and has a shallower box.
However I do find the focal plane shutter to be useful
especially for barrel type lenses. Also, Crown Graphics,
originally the economy model, are often more expensive than
the Speed Graphic on the used market.
Either will give you a taste for LF although they have
very limited movements and limited bellows draw. Graphic
cameras were intended to be hand held and offer a way of
getting a large negative for situations where a tripod can
not be used.
Older Graphics do not have some features of the later
series but these may not be important to you. The Pacemaker
Graphic has a front tilt which is not available in the
earlier models and a body release. I would choose a camera
on the basis of condition rather than model.
Graphics made after about 1951 had the Graflok back as
standard. However, the back could be refitted onto any
Graphic so many earlier Graphics, including the Anniversary
series, are found with the Graflok. This back is desirable
because it allows using certain accessories like roll film
adaptors but has no particular advantage for shooting sheet
film in conventional holders. Make sure any Graflok back has
the Ektalite field lens (Fresnel lens) installed. Some very
early versions did not have the lens but later ones all did.
The problem is that they are sometimes missing and
replacements are hard to find. The presense of the lens is
important in establishing the correct plane for the ground
glass, that is, if the Fresnel is missing the ground glass
will be in the wrong position.
As for lenses, the best of the standard lenses were the
Kodak Ektar f/4.7, 127mm and f/4.5 152mm (not often found).
Next best are probably the Zeiss Tessars found on older
models. I have not had good results from the Wollensak Optar
series standard lenses although the telephoto lenses are
very good. Unfortunately, Graflex went to the Wollensak lens
as standard in the early 1950's. The Wollensak shutter was
better suited for use with a flash synchronizing solenoid
than the Kodak Supermatic and that may have been one reason.
Both the Wollensak and Kodak shutters are excellent but many
of the Wollensak lenses leave something to be desired. The
Kodak Ektar can IMO hold its own against modern glass.
There is a great deal more on these cameras at the
Graflex org site at Http://www.graflex.org

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 3rd 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/2/2008 11:39 AM jch spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Like LF cameras, used enlargers are now going very cheaply, either
locally available or on a certain little web auction site. (If you're in
an area served by Craigslist, check there.)

A 4x5 enlarger doesn't take up that much more room than your present one.

Fair enough. Have you any recommendations for enlargers? I have
_never_ looked at MF or LF enlargers. Are they mainly condenser types,
or the diffusion types? For example, the condenser in the Durst is
already pretty massive and heavy. I shall also have to design the
enlarger base surface for multiple enlarger mounts.

The usual: Omega (D2), Beseler, etc. Shoot: I just saw a Beseler 4x5
enlarger, at the Oakland Museum White Elephant sale, going for about $25
(no lens, but otherwise looked complete). These are all condenser types.

In the event that you need parts (which is likely, since many enlargers
will come without needed parts, like negative carriers, lensboards,
etc.), you can find these on that small little on-line auction site.
Likewise, lenses (including really good ones, like Componons, Nikkors
and Rodenstocks) are going for cheap.

Hint: get the next-size-up lens for your format if you don't need to
make big enlargements; for instance, get a 165 mm instead of a 135 mm
lens for 4x5. This will give you better corner-to-corner sharpness.

Older enlargers, like the Elwoods (mostly found in 5x7 size like mine)
are diffusion types.

The baseboards are a little larger than your Durst, but not by much.
Old March 3rd 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/2/2008 3:35 PM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

The usual reason for rejecting the Speed Graphic is
weight, the Crown is lighter and has a shallower box.
However I do find the focal plane shutter to be useful
especially for barrel type lenses. Also, Crown Graphics,
originally the economy model, are often more expensive than
the Speed Graphic on the used market.
Either will give you a taste for LF although they have
very limited movements and limited bellows draw. Graphic
cameras were intended to be hand held and offer a way of
getting a large negative for situations where a tripod can
not be used.

(Like that famous picture of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald, where at least
one handheld Graflex is visible.)

Since we're on the subject, yes, I should have mentioned about the
barrel lenses, though these are more rare than lenses with shutters.

Questions:

1. I didn't know that Crowns go for more than Speeds. Is this because
people like the former better, or for other reasons (see question #2)?

2. Do Speed Graphics typically have working focal-plane shutters? I
would have thought that because of the complexity of this mechanism, it
might be likely to fail in cameras of this age. (I've never even seen a
Speed Graphic up close and personal.)