Lightroom CC

Old October 29th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default Lightroom CC

On 29/10/17 13:56, Davoud wrote:
Tim Watts:

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well (Windows on a VM is painful).

My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)

1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering? Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

I don't do "Mac vs. whatever" and I'm *not* dissing your Linux system
in any way. But if you're really into photography what you described
above is a crying need for a 27" iMac. The display is phenomenal.

I'm kinda waiting to see what Apple bring out next. It's either going to
be a MacBook Pro (which is recently re-released) or something else.

I'd really like a Mac Mini v2 - something that is small, utilises the
same screen and keyboard as my other systems but has been refreshed to
have a decent CPU and loads of RAM.
Old October 29th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 29/10/17 15:17, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:33:39 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well (Windows on a VM is painful).

My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)

Evidently, the entire workspace of LR CC is not visible on your
screen. At the bottom right of the workspace there is "Fit Fill 1:1"
in the row of other choices. You can click on 1:1 and move the
visible part image around.

Thanks. I'm not getting that. here's a screenshot (browser full screen):

http://tinypic.com/r/2csf1n8/9

1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

I don't see any problem in doing this, but I don't know where the
files are that you want to import. And, I'm not at all familiar with
Linux.

I suspect I haven't learnt to trust it. The import will be the same as
any other OS - upload or drag and drop.

There seems to be a thin progress bar up top that I eventually noticed.
I guess the thing to do is count the images and see if they tally - I
always worry with web uploads, if it will just conk out randomly (some
web platforms do).
Old October 29th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

On 29/10/17 11:05, android wrote:

Why don't just get with program and get a used Mac Mini? Cost less than
an iPad Pro and speaks Unixese just like your Linux computter...

Because it's not portable like a pad...

You did mention running Adobe CC in Windows Virtual on a Linux
computer...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 29th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Anyway - the programme from Adobe seems to be "web and mobile"

Why are you talking about running it in a Windows WM then?
--
teleportation kills
Old October 29th 17, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

On 29/10/17 13:56, Davoud wrote:
[...]

If you're getting a MBP then skip them mobile apps! :-))

Old October 29th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I'm not getting that. here's a screenshot (browser full screen):

http://tinypic.com/r/2csf1n8/9

Big time golfer, right? Three more years and van Trump might give you
some of his spare time!
--
teleportation kills
Old October 29th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

Why don't just get with program and get a used Mac Mini? Cost less than
an iPad Pro and speaks Unixese just like your Linux computter...

Because it's not portable like a pad...

neither is your linux system.

if you want portable, then get a macbook pro, with its wide gamut
dci-p3 display.

you can still get an ipad pro.
Old October 29th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

they're even better in the native app.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well

then it's time to upgrade to a desktop operating system so you can use
state of the art software, not just lightroom.

Problem: I use Linux for my work. I have no other desktop or laptop.

you shouldn't be mixing work and play on the same system.

and if you do get a mac, you can continue to do whatever you're doing
in linux given that the mac is unix under the hood, along with running
state of the art apps such as photoshop and lightroom and much more.

if you choose windows, you'll need two systems, or have to deal with
dual-booting.

(Windows on a VM is painful).

anything windows is painful, but not because its running in a vm.

what are you using for a vm?

Linux.

linux is not a vm.

the usual vm hosts are vmware or virtual box.

windows runs quite well in vmware, and at native speeds for almost
everything, including lightroom.

where a vm is not suitable is for something like high end gaming, but a
true gamer would have a gaming system anyway.

alternately, dual-boot into windows, but that's a huge pain in the ass.

Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

no. lightroom runs on mac and windows, along with a lot more that is
unavailable for linux.

linux is fine for servers, but for desktop use, it's a disaster.

Actually, it's very solid.

i didn't say it wasn't solid. i said it's a disaster for desktop use.
the sheer lack of quality software is very limiting.

Where it falls down is precisely this task -
but only this task, for me.

then you're lucky.

there is a *lot* of software not available for linux.

However, for my workflow at the moment, it's looking like LR Web+Mobile
are actually very good.

indeed they are, and much better than anything available on linux.

When it comes to retouching, I might consider a dedicated native
solution with a Mac in it, but I can't justify that right now (I could
just about justify an iPad for other reasons).

a mac is less expensive than an ipad pro.
Old October 29th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering? Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

I don't do "Mac vs. whatever" and I'm *not* dissing your Linux system
in any way. But if you're really into photography what you described
above is a crying need for a 27" iMac. The display is phenomenal.

I'm kinda waiting to see what Apple bring out next. It's either going to
be a MacBook Pro (which is recently re-released) or something else.

the imac pro is next, expected in a couple of months.

next year will likely have refreshes to the rest of the lineup, quite
possibly with a few surprises, although those who closely watch the
industry have a pretty good idea of what's coming.

I'd really like a Mac Mini v2 - something that is small, utilises the
same screen and keyboard as my other systems but has been refreshed to
have a decent CPU and loads of RAM.

the mac mini nearly 15 years old. it's well past v2.
Old October 29th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/29/2017 1:09 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/10/17 13:56, Davoud wrote:
[...]

Depending on the type of editing you do, video speed and ram are also
important. For small files with simple editing, for family and FB type
shots, you sill be fine with Adobe's minimum requirements.

--
PeterN