Lightroom CC

Old October 29th 17, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default Lightroom CC

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well (Windows on a VM is painful).

My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)

1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering? Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

Old October 29th 17, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Why don't just get with program and get a used Mac Mini? Cost less than
an iPad Pro and speaks Unixese just like your Linux computter...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 29th 17, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

they're even better in the native app.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well

then it's time to upgrade to a desktop operating system so you can use
state of the art software, not just lightroom.

(Windows on a VM is painful).

anything windows is painful, but not because its running in a vm.

what are you using for a vm?

My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)

1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

the import is not vague.

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering?

it's as faithful as your colour management.

if you can't calibrate it, then it's not faithful at all.

the browser is not in the way, since it uses the colour calibration
information.

Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

no. lightroom runs on mac and windows, along with a lot more that is
unavailable for linux.

linux is fine for servers, but for desktop use, it's a disaster.
Old October 29th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Tim Watts:

[...]

I don't do "Mac vs. whatever" and I'm *not* dissing your Linux system
in any way. But if you're really into photography what you described
above is a crying need for a 27" iMac. The display is phenomenal.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Old October 29th 17, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Tim Watts:

[...]

I had a looksie at the global centre, I live there Mac Premium Reseller
and I was not impressed. They had several units standing there and the
displays looked at tad shady. A Mini with a good third party display is
the prefered budget solution.

https://lassetretusen.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/manhemi.png :-))

Just got myself a new to me mini that can chew more RAM... I'm busy now
soo I'll have to do the migration at a later date.
--
teleportation kills
Old October 29th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering? Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

I don't do "Mac vs. whatever" and I'm *not* dissing your Linux system
in any way. But if you're really into photography what you described
above is a crying need for a 27" iMac. The display is phenomenal.

I had a looksie at the global centre, I live there Mac Premium Reseller
and I was not impressed. They had several units standing there and the
displays looked at tad shady.

that's not a very good environment in which to judge.

A Mini with a good third party display is
the prefered budget solution.

but nowhere near as good, and not much cheaper either.
Old October 29th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 29/10/17 11:05, android wrote:

Why don't just get with program and get a used Mac Mini? Cost less than
an iPad Pro and speaks Unixese just like your Linux computter...

Because it's not portable like a pad...

Old October 29th 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Anyway - the programme from Adobe seems to be "web and mobile"
Old October 29th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 29/10/17 13:21, nospam wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

On a tangent, but under the same topic:

I just had a very quick play with Lightroom Web.

It's looking rather promising. I imported some photos (jpg and Lumix RAW).

I'm stuck in how to get a 1:1 preview to check focus, but other aspects
are looking good. Being able to basically organise stuff and have
instant access via the web and LR Mobile is cool.

The editing facilities are pretty cool for a web app too.

they're even better in the native app.

This is from someone who uses Linux and does not have the facilities to
run LR Classic well

then it's time to upgrade to a desktop operating system so you can use
state of the art software, not just lightroom.

Problem: I use Linux for my work. I have no other desktop or laptop.

(Windows on a VM is painful).

anything windows is painful, but not because its running in a vm.

what are you using for a vm?

Linux.

My only concerns (apart from not being able to find out how to do a 1:1)

1) The import is a bit vague - can I be sure it got all of them?

the import is not vague.

It's a little unclear to me.

2) Colour tuning the screen... Linux is not great at colour management
anyway and now we have a browser in the way too. So how faithful is the
colour rendering?

it's as faithful as your colour management.

if you can't calibrate it, then it's not faithful at all.

the browser is not in the way, since it uses the colour calibration
information.

Do we need to go to an iPad Pro to really review stuff?

no. lightroom runs on mac and windows, along with a lot more that is
unavailable for linux.

linux is fine for servers, but for desktop use, it's a disaster.

Actually, it's very solid. Where it falls down is precisely this task -
but only this task, for me.

However, for my workflow at the moment, it's looking like LR Web+Mobile
are actually very good.

When it comes to retouching, I might consider a dedicated native
solution with a Mac in it, but I can't justify that right now (I could
just about justify an iPad for other reasons).