Ping Savageduck

Old June 20th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Ping Savageduck

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:

On 6/20/2016 5:52 AM, Noons wrote:
On 20/06/2016 6:49 @wiz, Eric Stevens wrote:
Never mind the quality - feel the width!

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/pho...type=3&theater

or

http://tinyurl.com/jy3t5y9

I doubt if anyone will ever get a shot like this again: a freshly
rebuilt Spifire XIV, *two* Brough Superiors and, in the background, a
Britten http://tinyurl.com/gv8onzb

Dunno about the Broughs, but I'll match your Spit and raise it to a
MkXVII (follow the arrows to see the lot):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

That

Gruman Avenger got me completely surprised. It is HUGE!!!!

Yup! It is big, but I still don't use Facebook.

They are built like tanks, but for only one purpose. According to a
friend of mine, who flew one, the controls were heavy, the plane
certainly was not nimble, but it was reliable. I suspect the Duck
would have more accurate information.

There is a reason Grumman is called the "Iron Works".
The TBF "Avenger" was the heaviest single engine aircraft of WWII. It
had a normal crew of three. The internal bomb bay made it a dual purpose
torpedo/ground attack bomber which could carry a 14 foot long, 2200 Lb
Torpedo, or a single 2,000 Lb bomb internally. Add to that wing load
points where it could carry a mix of bombs and/or rockets.

https://db.tt/7QadZLCM
https://db.tt/I5dwRwYt

While surfing the web I saw one for sale, that is in the process of
being restored. IIRC The seller is asking $359,999. I don't recall
whether the price was for the plane now, as is, or whether that price
was after restoration with a certificate of air worthiness.

That should be $350,000.

--
PeterN
Old June 21st 16, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:

On 6/20/2016 5:52 AM, Noons wrote:
On 20/06/2016 6:49 @wiz, Eric Stevens wrote:
Never mind the quality - feel the width!

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/pho...type=3&theater

or

http://tinyurl.com/jy3t5y9

I doubt if anyone will ever get a shot like this again: a freshly
rebuilt Spifire XIV, *two* Brough Superiors and, in the background, a
Britten http://tinyurl.com/gv8onzb

Dunno about the Broughs, but I'll match your Spit and raise it to a
MkXVII (follow the arrows to see the lot):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

That

Gruman Avenger got me completely surprised. It is HUGE!!!!

Yup! It is big, but I still don't use Facebook.

Obviously, your decision to not use facebook is your own, but I am
curious as to why not.

I find facebook to be a convenient method to stay in touch with friends
and share photos.

I don't post every cat photo, and political rumor that comes around. And
I ignore most of the ones that do get posted. I frequently click on the
"see less of this" button.

I am going on vacation in two days. I posted my schedule, and tagged
several friends. Each has messaged me and we've set up get-togethers.

(BTW, you don't always have to have a facebook page to view someone
else's page, if they make it public. Usually, I make my photo albums
public.)

--
Ken Hart

Old June 21st 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

(OK, I redact that last paragraph! I just switched users and attempted
to find myself on Facebook- I failed! It's almost impossible to use
facebook without signing up!)

--
Ken Hart

Old June 21st 16, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

FB has a lot of convenience. Through FB I recently got in touch with a
friend who had moved several years ago, and we simply lost touch. We
often keep in touch with a large part of our family through FB. My
biggest complaint is the loss of privacy, so I am careful about what I
post. Adverse comments have been made about my downgrading images. When
you post an image on FB, you have given them a non-exclusive right to
use that image for any purpose they deem fit. One of my friends, a fine
art photographer, found some of her images being used commercially. At
my suggestion she now places a copyright notice on every image she posts
to FB. Some people are really crazy. It seems that they post every time
they go to the bathroom. it is a neat way to wish someone a happy
birthday. We have saved a lot of money on birthday cards. End of rant.

--
PeterN
Old June 21st 16, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:
On 6/20/2016 5:52 AM, Noons wrote:
On 20/06/2016 6:49 @wiz, Eric Stevens wrote:
Never mind the quality - feel the width!

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/pho...type=3&theater

or

http://tinyurl.com/jy3t5y9

doubt if anyone will ever get a shot like this again: a freshly
rebuilt Spifire XIV, *two* Brough Superiors and, in the background, a
Britten http://tinyurl.com/gv8onzb

Dunno about the Broughs, but I'll match your Spit and raise it to a
MkXVII (follow the arrows to see the lot):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

That

Gruman Avenger got me completely surprised. It is HUGE!!!!

Yup! It is big, but I still don't use Facebook.

Obviously, your decision to not use facebook is your own, but I am
curious as to why not.

Several reasons, the first being, I don't need it, just as I don't need
or use Instagram, Twitter, or Readit. I have effective means of
communicating and sharing my images with various folks none of which
include any of the methods listed.
I dislike sites which insist on access via a Facebook log in, and there
are quite a number of those.
Finally I don't care to be part of the Zuckerberg parasitic business model.

I find facebook to be a convenient method to stay in touch with friends
and share photos.

If that works for you go ahead. Like Groucho Marx, I choose not to join
those particular clubs.

I don't post every cat photo, and political rumor that comes around.
And I ignore most of the ones that do get posted. I frequently click on
the "see less of this" button.

The concept of the crowded club makes me feel claustrophobic.

I am going on vacation in two days. I posted my schedule, and tagged
several friends. Each has messaged me and we've set up get-togethers.

Nice.

(BTW, you don't always have to have a facebook page to view someone
else's page, if they make it public. Usually, I make my photo albums
public.)

I know, and I actually saw the image when Eric first posted it. I had
no access to any other images, just a prompt to sign up. That I did not
do.

As for the second shot hosted by Photobucket, I was never able to view
that until Eric used another method to post a working link.

Savageduck

Old June 21st 16, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-20 11:04:17 +0000, PeterN said:
[...]

How about that?

Savageduck

Old June 21st 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-21 00:34:16 +0000, PeterN said:

FB has a lot of convenience.

Not for me.

Through FB I recently got in touch with a friend who had moved several
years ago, and we simply lost touch. We often keep in touch with a
large part of our family through FB.

There are other ways to do that.

My biggest complaint is the loss of privacy, so I am careful about what I post.
Adverse comments have been made about my downgrading images.

So you have been posting images downgraded for FB in a photogroup where
they only invite adverse comments.

When you post an image on FB, you have given them a non-exclusive right
to use that image for any purpose they deem fit. One of my friends, a
fine art photographer, found some of her images being used commercially.

All good reasons not to join the FB club.

Old June 21st 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-21 00:34:16 +0000, PeterN said:

FB has a lot of convenience.

Not for me.

Through FB I recently got in touch with a friend who had moved several
years ago, and we simply lost touch. We often keep in touch with a
large part of our family through FB.

There are other ways to do that.

Probably, but we all agreed to do it through FB. I suspect that you are
a nice guy, trying to be a curmudgeon, but don't know how.

My biggest complaint is the loss of privacy, so I am careful about
what I post.
Adverse comments have been made about my downgrading images.

So you have been posting images downgraded for FB in a photogroup where
they only invite adverse comments.

No. With some exceptions I usually post downgraded images, for reasons
we have discussed ad nauseum.

When you post an image on FB, you have given them a non-exclusive
right to use that image for any purpose they deem fit. One of my
friends, a fine art photographer, found some of her images being used
commercially.

All good reasons not to join the FB club.

Horses for courses.

Old June 21st 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 17:39:01 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I dislike sites which insist on access via a Facebook log in, and there
are quite a number of those.

I finally created a fake page for just that purpose, just in case I
ever need it. It's simple. Just create a fake email address, and a
fake name, and leave everything set to private when you set up the
account. The only catch is the verification process. They want your
cell phone number, and they send a verification text. I think another
option might have been a voice mail, and if that's the case, and you
have VOIP, you might be able to set up a throwaway phone number.

I set it up weeks ago, and haven't looked at it since. I believe
Zuckerberg is pure evil, which I think you agree with.
Old June 21st 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-21 00:34:16 +0000, PeterN said:

FB has a lot of convenience.

Not for me.

Through FB I recently got in touch with a friend who had moved several
years ago, and we simply lost touch. We often keep in touch with a
large part of our family through FB.

There are other ways to do that.

Probably, but we all agreed to do it through FB. I suspect that you are
a nice guy, trying to be a curmudgeon, but don't know how.

I am not sure of your Usenet character analysis, but as a "nice guy" I
am vulnerable to a few things which will trigger my inner curmudgeon.
One of those things are friendly nudges towards the FB Charybdis.

My biggest complaint is the loss of privacy, so I am careful about
what I post.
Adverse comments have been made about my downgrading images.

So you have been posting images downgraded for FB in a photogroup where
they only invite adverse comments.

No. With some exceptions I usually post downgraded images, for reasons
we have discussed ad nauseum.

I am not quite that paranoid.

When you post an image on FB, you have given them a non-exclusive
right to use that image for any purpose they deem fit. One of my
friends, a fine art photographer, found some of her images being used
commercially.

All good reasons not to join the FB club.

Horses for courses.

I like to control the reins.