Misleading bloggers and the use of "free".

Old June 17th 16, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Misleading bloggers and the use of "free".

Tony Cooper wrote:
I recently read a blog where the blogger provided a link to a site
where I could download a free software program. "The download is
free", he said.

It was, in my opinion, deceptive at best. Of course the download is
"free". No one charges the user to download the program. The use of
the program, though, may not be free.

The downloaded program may be a free trial period or a crippled trial
period where all uses of the program result in a watermarked result or
provide only limited functions compared to the paid-for version. There
may not even be a free trial period, but the download is still free.

You don't get "ThisSoftware" free in many cases. No free goods are
offered. You get use of the program for a limited time, but you must
pay for that use after the trial period.

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

Mort Linder
Old June 17th 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.
Old June 17th 16, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:32:32 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mort wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Can you recommend any? I got tired of digging through Google results.
Old June 17th 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Can you recommend any? I got tired of digging through Google results.

not really. i use an app on my phone, but normally 'john doe phone
number' or 'name of business phone number' is sufficient, sometimes
without needing to click.
Old June 17th 16, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:14:38 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Can you recommend any? I got tired of digging through Google results.

not really. i use an app on my phone, but normally 'john doe phone
number' or 'name of business phone number' is sufficient, sometimes
without needing to click.

It works for listed numbers, but with others, I get the same results
as everyone else - they want money. Worse yet, there is no guarantee
of what you are paying for. They list a bunch of things you'll get,
but those are general claims, and are not necessarily true for the
person you're looking up.
Old June 17th 16, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Can you recommend any? I got tired of digging through Google results.

not really. i use an app on my phone, but normally 'john doe phone
number' or 'name of business phone number' is sufficient, sometimes
without needing to click.

It works for listed numbers, but with others,

there's a reason why a number is called *un*-listed.

that doesn't mean it's impossible to find, it just might need a little
extra work.

do you have an example you don't mind sharing where you hit a dead end?

I get the same results
as everyone else - they want money. Worse yet, there is no guarantee
of what you are paying for. They list a bunch of things you'll get,
but those are general claims, and are not necessarily true for the
person you're looking up.

most of those sites are scams. it's a tax on the stupid.
Old June 17th 16, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:31:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

I don't want to post a real search, so maybe I'll pick a name out of
the air later, just as a typical example.

I get the same results
as everyone else - they want money. Worse yet, there is no guarantee
of what you are paying for. They list a bunch of things you'll get,
but those are general claims, and are not necessarily true for the
person you're looking up.

most of those sites are scams. it's a tax on the stupid.

It used to be way easier to get free results.
Old June 18th 16, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

There are dozens that do this. They buy the data then basically sell it.
Data scamming and sales is the largest online business. Privacy guarantees mean nothing.

so what? it's a tax on the stupid.

there are dozens of sites that don't charge anything.

anyone who pays anything, especially $25, just to look up a number is
an idiot.
Old June 18th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Please give me the URL of a site(s) where I can look up telephone
numbers free.

Thank you.

Mort Linder
Old June 18th 16, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-18 19:17:51 +0000, Mort said:

nospam wrote:
In article , Mort wrote:

Just another reason we should understand the difference between "free
goods" - which are goods you get to keep at no charge - and "free
use", which is access to something at no charge.

This is seen often when looking up a telephone number on line. The
search is indeed free, but one is asked to pay up to $25.- to see the
result of the search.

you are *definitely* using the wrong sites.

Please give me the URL of a site(s) where I can look up telephone numbers free.

Thank you.

Mort Linder

This has always worked for me:
http://www.anywho.com/whitepages