Six Months with the X-Pro2

Old June 10th 16, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Six Months with the X-Pro2

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2.
https://vimeo.com/169992597

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 21:50:18 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:36:45 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2.
https://vimeo.com/169992597

Everyone who thinks that these photographs are the result of switching
to an X-Pro2 raise your hand.

Naah! It's the head behind the X-Pro2.
The camera gives him the instrument/tool to make the capture (a pretty
good one), then as he says, all processing is done in Lightroom along
with his particular batch of presets. It is just an example of what can
be done with a camera in capable hands.

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2016061014364568872-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2. https://vimeo.com/169992597

Not sure what this shows, tough. I mean, what did the X-Pro2 bring to these
photos?

I mean, if someone made a video of shots they took in six months with the Sony
A7S II, you'd expect a series of crisp low-light photos that are hard to take
with any other camera.

But the shots in the above video could have been taken with any camera, right?

--
Sandman
Old June 10th 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2.
https://vimeo.com/169992597

Everyone who thinks that these photographs are the result of switching
to an X-Pro2 raise your hand.

Naah! It's the head behind the X-Pro2.
The camera gives him the instrument/tool to make the capture (a pretty
good one), then as he says, all processing is done in Lightroom along
with his particular batch of presets. It is just an example of what can
be done with a camera in capable hands.

You might say he 'staged' this shot. ;-)
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5533f104e4b07fb5e04ac707/55350201e4b04c1bc6517241/5549d59ee4b040cc53f0415a/1430902174972/ColourGallery-3.jpg?format=750w

or
http://tinyurl.com/z5l5vc7

Note:

he admits the following:
"As I'm a Fujifilm X-Photographer, there's no shortage of Fuji gear
around he I shoot with the X-Pro 2, X-T1 and X-100T. I still have
the original X-Pro 1. I also still occasionally use my Nikon D800,
mostly for jobs that require complicated flash setups and/or
synchronising flash at high shutter speeds."

Savageduck

Old June 10th 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-10 21:59:45 +0000, Sandman said:

In article 2016061014364568872-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2. https://vimeo.com/169992597

Not sure what this shows, tough. I mean, what did the X-Pro2 bring to these
photos?

It shows some of his work over six months of him shooting with the
X-Pro2. All the X-Pro2 brought to this game was a tool to capture his
particular vision. I am sure that he could have used any other camera
to capture these scenes, but the whole point of this display was to
show what he did with the X-Pro2.

I mean, if someone made a video of shots they took in six months with the Sony
A7S II, you'd expect a series of crisp low-light photos that are hard to take
with any other camera.

You would expect that, but here is his work that is exceptional
regardless of the camera used.

But the shots in the above video could have been taken with any camera, right?

It is a video of LR processed stills (probably put together on LR.
However, as always it is not just the camera but the vision of the
photographer and his use of the tools he has at hand. Dare I say that a
crew of photographers loaded with a Sony A7S II and various FF DSLR's,
following along with him would be hard pressed to equal his product.

If you believe you could produce something similar with your Sony A7S
II, post it.
Personally, I find his photographic skill something that I would strive
for, but I am a long way from attaining.

Savageduck

Old June 11th 16, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 06/10/2016 05:59 PM, Sandman wrote:
In article 2016061014364568872-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

This is the work of Dutch photographer Piet Van den Eynde in the six
months he has used his X-Pro2. https://vimeo.com/169992597

Not sure what this shows, tough. I mean, what did the X-Pro2 bring to these
photos?

I mean, if someone made a video of shots they took in six months with the Sony
A7S II, you'd expect a series of crisp low-light photos that are hard to take
with any other camera.

But the shots in the above video could have been taken with any camera, right?

My first thought after looking at this video was: did Holga start making
lenses for Fuji?

Discounting the fact that I am not impressed by ballerinas in a derelict
industrial setting, I'd like to see at least a couple sharp photos.

Is this an artifact of Vimeo, or is it his "vision"?

--
Ken Hart

Old June 11th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-11 00:39:50 +0000, Ken Hart said:

[...]

I must admit that I don't get too many opportunities to shoot
ballarinas in derelict industrial settings. However if you actually got
to his Indian set there was much sharpness and clarity to be found. His
photography might not be of a style you and I might shoot, or even be
capable of shooting, but even if they are not to our taste, they do
have a particular quality.

Is this an artifact of Vimeo, or is it his "vision"?

It is probably an artifact of your expression of your particular taste
in images.

Savageduck

Old June 11th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-06-10 21:59:45 +0000, Sandman said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

If I got the Nikon D5, and every Nikon lens, I doubt if I could approach
his work.

--
PeterN
Old June 11th 16, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Denise is an inspiring mentor. I have been at several of her lectures
and taken some of her workshops.
http://deniseippolito.com/blurs/

--
PeterN
Old June 11th 16, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2016061015210360589-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
But the shots in the above video could have been taken with any
camera, right?

It is a video of LR processed stills (probably put together on LR.
However, as always it is not just the camera but the vision of the
photographer and his use of the tools he has at hand. Dare I say
that a crew of photographers loaded with a Sony A7S II and various
FF DSLR's, following along with him would be hard pressed to equal
his product.

Why? What did the X-Pro2 enable him to do that someone using another camera
could not do?

If you believe you could produce something similar with your Sony
A7S II, post it. Personally, I find his photographic skill something
that I would strive for, but I am a long way from attaining.

I have the Sony A7R II though

And I'm not questioning his "photographic skill" at all, most of the shots were
really nice (a fair bit had the micro contrast turned up too much if you ask
me).

I am not trying to degrade the X-Pro2 either, I'm sure it's a nice camera and
it's gotten som great reviews. I'm just curious why the tool was important to
mention when the images seemed possible with any tool.

--
Sandman