Can iPad 3 handle true 1080p?

Old February 25th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Can iPad 3 handle true 1080p?

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Eric Stevens
Old February 25th 15, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

what format is the slide show?
Old February 25th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:35:48 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

what format is the slide show?

Sorry: straight out of LR 'mp4'.

Eric Stevens
Old February 25th 15, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

what format is the slide show?

Sorry: straight out of LR 'mp4'.

that's the extension. what matters is the encoding.

the video must use h.264 and you need an apple tv or apple digital av
adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP647?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

* AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p
and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p

* Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple
Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)

* Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per
second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps,
48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4
video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo
audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up
to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw,
PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Old February 25th 15, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2/24/15 PDT 5:18 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:35:48 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

what format is the slide show?

Sorry: straight out of LR 'mp4'.

Depending on your TV, you may be able to pop it onto a flash drive and
go to town. Will need to format flash drive into FAT 16 or maybe 32.
Old February 25th 15, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-02-25 00:34:46 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I was
going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the grounds
that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems that the
1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on this?

I am making the assumption that you are doing this with LR and that in
the "Export Video" dialog you selected 1080p. Note the iPad should be
able to handle 1080p mp4s particularly with some versions with screen
resolution optimized for 2048x1536.

Have you considered getting Lightroom Mobile (free) for your iPad and
syncing it with LR5 and CC? Just one more thing you are paying for with
your subscription. and it doesn't use much memory on the iPad.

For viewing on a TV the iPad might not be the best intermediary, unless
you have it paired with an Apple TV for streaming. Something such as a
NAS (I have a 4GB WD MyCloud setup) works pretty good with both my Sony
& Sharp TVs, my Mac, and my iOS devices. Otherwise a thumb drive might
be a viable option.

Savageduck

Old February 25th 15, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:26:08 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I've been hunting and have found that on
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/free-mp4-converter/id693443591?mt=12
Apple is selling the ANYMP4 convertor
http://www.anymp4.com/video-converter/ "for playback on iPhone 6/6
plus/5s/5c/5/4s, iPad Air 2/mini 3/4/mini 2/Air, iPod touch, and Apple
TV". Evereything is mentioned there except for the iPad 3. Is this an
accidental ommission or is there something different about the iPad 3?

Eric Stevens
Old February 25th 15, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-02-25 03:25:57 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:26:08 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Why would you get that when the best of the bunch is "Handbrake".
https://handbrake.fr

Savageduck

Old February 25th 15, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

I've made a slide show which I wish to get into my 1080p TV set. I
was going to use the iPad but iTunes refuses to copy it on the
grounds that the iPad cannot process it. Reading around it seems
that the 1080p _might_ be the problem. Can anyone throw any light on
this?

It's likely a h.264 level issue. The h.264 level needs to be 4.1 or less for
1080p playback on the iPad. I don't know how Lightroom exports it, it has no
settings, so you probably need to recode it in a third party tool, such as
Handbrake.

--
Sandman
Old February 25th 15, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:08:43 -0800, Savageduck

On 2015-02-25 03:25:57 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:26:08 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I don't know. Perhaps you could tell me?

I wouldn't be able to distinguish any of these from one another or a
bar of soap.

But that doesn't answer the question about iPad 3.

But thanks for the pointer. I will have a look at it.

Eric Stevens