Press Photography and Large Format

Old September 8th 04, 09:30 PM
John Emmons

All I can comment on is your last words, ego is what drives most
photojournalists. If you've never had the "opportunity" to meet some of the
folks who seek celebrity thru their work, you've simply been lucky.

Believe me, they're out there.

I know, I used to be one of them...

John Emmons

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"John Emmons" wrote in message
No sour grapes at all. The simple fact that a story has been written on
the
fact that Mr. Burnett is covering the campaign with a 4"x5" is evidence
enough that his equipment has become the story, not his images.

Thanks for coming back on this, John. I was running out the door, being
hasty. This subject deserves more considerate discussion.

It is unfortunate, but inevitable, that people are making news of the
hardware. Agreed. But in the long-term the work will, or will not, stand

on
its own. Besides, he's not the only one photographing the events in
question. Please read on.

First, an unfortunate truism - very often adequate visual evidence of an
event can be conveyed using the simplest equipment with an uninformed,
unprofessional photographer, but usually that kind of thing doesn't make

it
because we, the readers and viewers, would like pictures that are more
sophisticated, so we tend to choose professional photojournalism wherein

the
photographers choose a point-of-view, for better or worse, which is more
distinguishing. Now take that one more step - the LF work being done by

Mr.
Burnett adds new language to the reportage stills, and that's a good thing
for those who understand or appreciate the language.

[...]
If I had been a working press photographer in the first half of the last
century, I no doubt would have used a Speed Graphic.

I have a sneaking suspicion you would have also toyed with that

new-fangled
miniature camera, the Leica.

Artificially limiting one's self to a camera that has seen it's day

isn't
telling the day to day story of a presidential campaign any better than
those photographer's using the most modern digital gear.

I disagree. As I said above, there are a lot of pictures being made and
Burnett's contribution offers some unique views and sophisticated
photographic language. I am very happy he's doing what he is.

It's stroking the
ego of the photographer and it provides a hook for the photographer to
sell
to an editor. I can only assume that Mr. Burnett is working on a book
project as getting 4"x5" images to a magazine or a daily newspaper is
problematical these days.

I'll bet his ego is the least of his motivations, but even if it were,

then
the pictures have to stand on their own, and I will bet they do.

Good for him and whomever else is working on the campaigns I guess, it
gives
them work in a time when photojournalism as it was once practiced is
virtually non-existent, just don't try and sell it as the best way to
document a campaign, cause it ain't.

Indeed, PJ seems to be a waning craft, but actually in terms of the

numbers
of essays it is still well represented. Stills simply hold a lesser
_percentage_ of the mass media than they once did. But you know, I've

never
known a good and successful photojournalist who sought celebrity status,

and
that's a good thing.

Old September 8th 04, 09:32 PM
John Emmons

The most positive contribution I can make to this conversation is to invite
you to leave it. Please do so.

I wonder if "empty pontification" qualifies one to post in the vaunted View
Camera magazine forum...? hmmm...

John Emmons

"CamArtsMag" wrote in message
You'd be the one to know about that Mr. Simmons.

Now go sell some more magazines.

This is another off topic and ugly personal remark. Can you make a

positive
contribution to the conversation?

steve simmons

Old September 8th 04, 09:37 PM
Largformat

The most positive contribution I can make to this conversation is to invite
you to leave it. Please do so.

I wonder if "empty pontification" qualifies one to post in the vaunted View
Camera magazine forum...? hmmm...

John Emmons

I will continue to make posts when they are related to the topic at hand.

steve simmons

Old September 8th 04, 09:44 PM
jjs

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
[...]
I don't see why people would think it was difficult. Jacques Henri
Lartigue was
doing action shots quite a long time ago.

I wish I had the money to experiment like he did.

Old September 8th 04, 09:45 PM
jjs

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message

I saw a photographer with a 4x5 camera at a football game once.

In Chicago, early Seventies? That was me. On my last football game
assignment.