Anyone know about the FDK 18x24?

Old October 18th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

Default Anyone know about the FDK 18x24?

On 10/15/2010 9:02 PM, Cheesehead wrote:
Are these the same as 8x10? Th epics don't show a ground glass back.
Do they have one?

These are designed use glass plate film, not sheet film. I own one and
converted it to use standard 8X10 sheet film holders.

http://atlantaracing.tripod.com/FKD8X10

Honestly, the build quality of these isn't that great. I ended up
replacing even the screws they were such poor quality. I'd never seen
badly made wood screws before! Also almost every glue joint had to be
redone as the glue had dried up and cracked. Not sure what kinda glue
they used. Typical ex-soviet build quality.

The bellows was still in good shape which was a bonus and I later
adapted a packard shutter into the front standard so I could use barrel
lenses like is came with. It comes with a multicoated 300 f4.5 tessar
clone of decent quality so that is a bonus. All that said, not sure it
was worth the effort rebuilding it to make it usable but was a fun project.

But to answer your question, it does have a ground glass but you can't
use sheet film in the holders and they are an oddball size. So even if
you tried to make use of the supplied holders, if it comes with any,
you'd have to cut film to fit in them, put a spacer behind the film,
figure out how to make it stay in place etc.

Steph