Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional Wi-Fi

Old November 7th 12, 08:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

Default Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional Wi-Fi

Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional Wi-Fi - see:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11...es-nikon-d5200

A great temptation to spend the money and upgrade from my Nikon D5000!
Very nice looking camera, with swivel LCD and taking the more compact
and lightweight DX format lenses. A winner!

Cheers,
David--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Old November 7th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 07/11/2012 12:48, Anthony Polson wrote:
[]
It's a gem, but so is the cheaper D3200 which has the same sensor and
CPU and therefore offers similar image quality.

Nikon has made it very difficult for itself by offering such an
excellent 24 MP sensor on an entry-level DSLR. When the lowest pixel
count in the range is 24 M and the highest 36 M, there is not much
headroom for a D7000 successor let alone a D300s successor.

There are also very few valid reasons to choose the D5200 over the
excellent D3200.

For me, and for others, having the swivel LCD is a good enough reason.

I expect that the faster focussing, higher burst rate and improved
ruggedness will ensure a continuing market for higher-end cameras.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 7th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 11/7/2012 7:48 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
David Taylor wrote:

Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional Wi-Fi - see:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11...es-nikon-d5200

A great temptation to spend the money and upgrade from my Nikon D5000!
Very nice looking camera, with swivel LCD and taking the more compact
and lightweight DX format lenses. A winner!

It's a gem, but so is the cheaper D3200 which has the same sensor and
CPU and therefore offers similar image quality.

Nikon has made it very difficult for itself by offering such an
excellent 24 MP sensor on an entry-level DSLR. When the lowest pixel
count in the range is 24 M and the highest 36 M, there is not much
headroom for a D7000 successor let alone a D300s successor.

There are also very few valid reasons to choose the D5200 over the
excellent D3200.

Pricing has not been announced, although you may have inside
information. In which case you may have violated your NDA by saying that.
BTW Does the 3200 have an articulated viewfinder?

--
Peter
Old November 7th 12, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 07/11/2012 16:45, PeterN wrote:
[]
Pricing has not been announced, although you may have inside
information. In which case you may have violated your NDA by saying that.
BTW Does the 3200 have an articulated viewfinder?

In the UK Wex is taking pre-orders, it appears:

"The Nikon D5200 is expected to be available in December 2012 and can be
pre-ordered at Wex Photogaphic: Nikon D5200 Body only – £719** or Nikon
D5200 with 18-55 VR Lens in Black, Bronze or Red – £819**"

**price as at 6th November 2012, subject to change"

From:
http://blog.wexphotographic.com/the-...0-digital-slr/

No swivel LCD on the D3200, as I'm sure "Bruce" knows.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 7th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 11/7/2012 12:46 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 07/11/2012 16:45, PeterN wrote:
[]
Pricing has not been announced, although you may have inside
information. In which case you may have violated your NDA by saying that.
BTW Does the 3200 have an articulated viewfinder?

In the UK Wex is taking pre-orders, it appears:

"The Nikon D5200 is expected to be available in December 2012 and can be
pre-ordered at Wex Photogaphic: Nikon D5200 Body only – £719** or Nikon
D5200 with 18-55 VR Lens in Black, Bronze or Red – £819**"

**price as at 6th November 2012, subject to change"

From:
http://blog.wexphotographic.com/the-...0-digital-slr/

It's an estimated price. I don't understand how they can sell, without a
firm price.

No swivel LCD on the D3200, as I'm sure "Bruce" knows.

So do I. Simply pointing out a substantial reason the 5200 is worth the
price.

My wish list includes an articulated viewfinder higher end camera.

--
Peter
Old November 9th 12, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

David Taylor wrote in news:k7d2h7
:

Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional Wi-Fi - see:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11...es-nikon-d5200

A great temptation to spend the money and upgrade from my Nikon D5000!
Very nice looking camera, with swivel LCD and taking the more compact
and lightweight DX format lenses. A winner!

Mostly, going with a new focus system can only help. I used a D5000 a bit
and its focusing was dismal. It hunted more than a 19th century India
Maharaja.

Old November 9th 12, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Taylor

On 09/11/2012 04:57, Rich wrote:
[]
Mostly, going with a new focus system can only help. I used a D5000 a bit
and its focusing was dismal. It hunted more than a 19th century India
Maharaja.

That hasn't been my experience, Rich. Focussing may not be top
pro-level, but quite adequate.
--
Cheers,
David
Old November 13th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

From:
http://blog.wexphotographic.com/the-...0-digital-slr/

It's an estimated price. I don't understand how they can sell, without a
firm price.

The whole stock market derivatives market works on not having
firm prices. So you sell stock you don't have yet now betting
that prices will be lower when you have to fulfill the order.

If huge banks are willing to gamble away their existence in
that game, why should Wex not be willing?

OTOH they could simply make people buy *now* (i.e. with them) and
if some jump off when/if the price rises, so what? Nothing lost.

-Wolfgang
Old November 13th 12, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Anthony Polson wrote:
David Taylor wrote:
On 07/11/2012 12:48, Anthony Polson wrote:

It's a gem, but so is the cheaper D3200 which has the same sensor and
CPU and therefore offers similar image quality.

Nikon has made it very difficult for itself by offering such an
excellent 24 MP sensor on an entry-level DSLR. When the lowest pixel
count in the range is 24 M and the highest 36 M, there is not much
headroom for a D7000 successor let alone a D300s successor.

There are also very few valid reasons to choose the D5200 over the
excellent D3200.

For me, and for others, having the swivel LCD is a good enough reason.

I expect that the faster focussing, higher burst rate and improved
ruggedness will ensure a continuing market for higher-end cameras.

Faster focusing? Improved ruggedness? I strongly doubt it. Higher
burst rate and swivel LCD notwithstanding, you could buy two D3200
bodies for the price of one D5200. Or a D3200 and a decent lens.

So everyone wants to carry 2 D3200 all the time, hoping that only
one fails in the field?

And that everyone hopes that the not-as-fast-as focussing will
still produce all the shots one could want?

You probably are thinking of non-serious shooters only. But the
majority is shooting with mobile phones anyway, so there.

-Wolfgang