What if Nikon releases a DX D400 with a body like the D300?

Old October 6th 12, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default What if Nikon releases a DX D400 with a body like the D300?

On 2012-10-05 22:48:31 -0700, RichA said:

How will they justify a DX with that build quality while the D600 FX
body is...less?

Why think in terms of justify?
Build it and they will come.

Savageduck

Old October 7th 12, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Savageduck wrote in

On 2012-10-05 22:48:31 -0700, RichA said:

How will they justify a DX with that build quality while the D600 FX
body is...less?

Why think in terms of justify?
Build it and they will come.

I think it violates some kind of...law of camera hierarchy.
Old October 7th 12, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote in

On 2012-10-05 22:48:31 -0700, RichA said:

How will they justify a DX with that build quality while the D600 FX
body is...less?

Why think in terms of justify?
Build it and they will come.

I think it violates some kind of...law of camera hierarchy.

So you believe a DX successor to the D300S should have a lesser body
than the camera it succeeds?

Savageduck

Old October 7th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 08:27:39 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Rich wrote:
: Savageduck wrote in
: news:2012100523224423810-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
:
: On 2012-10-05 22:48:31 -0700, RichA said:
:
: How will they justify a DX with that build quality while the D600 FX
: body is...less?
:
: Why think in terms of justify?
: Build it and they will come.
:
:
:
: I think it violates some kind of...law of camera hierarchy.
:
:
: From now on, let's call it "Rich's Law". :-)

I guess I'm OK with that, but it's far from clear to me what the law actually
says. As a Canon user, I'm not familiar enough with the subtle differences
among those various Nikon bodies to relate to the law very well. Does it apply
only in Nikonia, or are there corollaries for other manufacturers' products? A
clear statement now may forestall all sorts of bickering in the future. (I
realize that bickering is one of the respected activities of the newsgroup,
but there are, after all, only 24 hours in the day.)

Bob
Old October 7th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

: Rich wrote:
[...]

It has little to do with Nikon, but more to do with Rich. To put it in
a word let me just say, "plastics".

Savageduck

Old October 7th 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 06:14:09 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
:
: : Rich wrote:
: : Savageduck wrote in
: : news:2012100523224423810-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
: :
[...]

Well, I guess Rich may be saying, in a roundabout way, that a camera that
contains more plastic than a camera of lower assigned status in its product
line is an aberration. But we're all perfectionists here, and I, for one,
think we need a more precise exposition of this so-called "law".

Bob
Old October 8th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Savageduck wrote in

wrote:
: Rich wrote:
[...]

No, the D7000 is a second-tier body compared to the D300, metal or no
metal. Just one small point, the grip is lousy, compared to the far more
ergonomic D300 grip.
But the half plastic part certainly doesn't help.