Camera dimension confusion (Rochester Universal 5x7)

Old March 29th 09, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Default Camera dimension confusion (Rochester Universal 5x7)

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/28/2009 5:05 PM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Other than eBay, can anyone suggest places that will have these? I
already know about Pacific Rim Camera (they occasionally pop up there,
but none at present) and Craig Camera (ditto). Unfortunately, Thompson
Photo, which used to sell a lot of old stuff like that, is no longer in
business.

You might try Lens and Repro Equipment Corp. in NYC:

Nope. Their "used large format equipment" page (last updated last Sept.,
apparently) only lists "modern" 4x5 & 8x10 holders.

No: telephone them. They often have weird stuff in one-of-a-kind quantities
that they do not post on their web site.

Keep in mind that this thing is an antique, not a camera likely to
actually be used by anyone except weirdos like me.

^^-^^ 06:50:02 up 4 days, 13:04, 3 users, load average: 4.29, 4.06, 4.02
Old March 29th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

I cannot imagine what you have. My closest experience was with some
large plate holders that did not work with film.

Hacking the back, if it can work, might be worthwhile. I do most of my
own handiwork, but sometimes I find it best to cave-in and have a local
machinist look at the problem.
Old March 29th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/29/2009 2:54 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/28/2009 5:05 PM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

You might try Lens and Repro Equipment Corp. in NYC:

Nope. Their "used large format equipment" page (last updated last Sept.,
apparently) only lists "modern" 4x5 & 8x10 holders.

No: telephone them. They often have weird stuff in one-of-a-kind
quantities that they do not post on their web site.

I did send them an email asking if they had any; gotta leave no stone
unturned. Thanks for the suggestion.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old March 29th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 3/29/2009 9:23 AM John J spake thus:

I cannot imagine what you have. My closest experience was with some
large plate holders that did not work with film.

JJ, I'm surprised you're not familiar with my camera. (Which is to say,
I'm pretty sure you have a lot more experience with a lot more cameras
than me.) Anyhow, my back just has a flat recess for the holder, with a
small "lip" to retain it when shoved in. No groove or recess for the
retaining rib on modern film holders.

Here's a holder similar to what I probably need, from Pacific Rim
Camera: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/images/115013.jpg

Regarding film vs. plate holders, I think all these old holders were
made for plates. One needs to get the film sheath made for the holder to
use film, after which using sheet film is no problem. (I've done this
with some 9x12 plate holders I have for which I got film sheaths.) The
holder shown here comes with 2 sheaths.

Old March 31st 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 3/28/2009 5:05 PM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

You might try Lens and Repro Equipment Corp. in NYC:

Nope. Their "used large format equipment" page (last updated last Sept.,
apparently) only lists "modern" 4x5 & 8x10 holders.

No: telephone them. They often have weird stuff in one-of-a-kind quantities
that they do not post on their web site.

Lens & Repro just emailed back to say all they currently have is "late
model plastic".

Pacific Rim Camera looks more promising: I got a nice reply from a
person there saying he thought that film holders for other ROC cameras
(like the Premo) should fit mine, and it looks as if they actually have
a few. (He also said that it should be easy to get film holders, as
opposed to plate holders with film sheaths.) I also have inquiries out
to two antique camera restorers/collectors.

The camera looks gorgeous, by the way. I'll post pictures when I get some.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Digital Camera confusion [email protected][_2_] Digital Photography 11 October 1st 07 10:09 AM
Old Rochester plate cameras and B&L Shutter Neil Purling Large Format Photography Equipment 8 February 2nd 07 02:08 PM
FA: Mount many lenses on your view camera with this Universal Iris device Hugh Lyon-Sach Large Format Equipment For Sale 0 May 9th 05 07:44 PM
FS: Mamiya Universal Press Camera w/100mm f/3.5 lens, 4 backs and accessories $600 +shpg Otto Fajen General Equipment For Sale 0 April 17th 04 08:28 PM
FS: Mamiya Universal Press Camera w/100mm f/3.5 lens, 4 backs and accessories $600 +shpg Otto Fajen Medium Format Equipment For Sale 0 April 17th 04 08:28 PM