Why should I say "Cheese"?

Old November 30th 17, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ant

Default Why should I say "Cheese"?

In rec.photo.digital PeterN wrote:
No
I was talking about wallet fattening, not citizens of another country.
My reference usually makes people smile. Your reference depends on
circumstances when it comes to smiling.

It reminds me of Seinfeld's George Contanza's fat wallet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g ...
--
Quote of the Week: "After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
| |o o| |
Old November 30th 17, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-11-29 03:41:56 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/28/2017 4:11 AM, Noons wrote:
On 28/11/2017 1:01 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 27, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her subjects
to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know that when
you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks lift and
your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we do in
pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.

Neither the Portuguese queijo, nor the Spanish queso fit.

In Portugal it's customary to say "honest politician".
Guaranteed at least a smirk...*

The expression, "honest politician", sounds like an oxymoron.

That's a cheesy remark. You could put yourself up on a bill, you know!
--
teleportation kills

Old December 1st 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-11-29 03:41:56 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/28/2017 4:11 AM, Noons wrote:
On 28/11/2017 1:01 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 27, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her
subjects
to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know
that when
you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks
lift and
your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what
we do in
pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.

Neither the Portuguese queijo, nor the Spanish queso fit.

In Portugal it's customary to say "honest politician".
Guaranteed at least a smirk...Â*

The expression, "honest politician", sounds like an oxymoron.

That's a cheesy remark. You could put yourself up on a bill, you know!

Some people like to look at their old school photos, for many reasons.
And, no one forces you to buy the school photo.
--
PeterN
Old December 1st 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-11-27 14:22, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 27 November 2017 08:13:44 UTC, wrote:
Why should I say "Cheese"?

Ever since I was born in the 1950's I have been told to say "cheese"
whenever someone wants to take my picture.

WHY?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/21357...ur-photo-taken

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her subjects to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know that when you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks lift and your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we do in pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.

It is "patata" over here :-)

Some say "whisky".

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 4th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/4/2017 6:44 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 December 2017 16:25:04 UTC, peterN wrote:

snip

Some people like to look at their old school photos, for many reasons.
And, no one forces you to buy the school photo.

They did at my school my parents HAD to buy the photos and you could buy more if you wanted but there was no choice in whether or not you could buy the photos.

In many jurisdictions that would be illegal.

--
PeterN
Old December 5th 17, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/5/2017 5:20 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 December 2017 21:28:08 UTC, peterN wrote:
On 12/4/2017 6:44 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 December 2017 16:25:04 UTC, peterN wrote:

snip

Some people like to look at their old school photos, for many reasons.
And, no one forces you to buy the school photo.

They did at my school my parents HAD to buy the photos and you could buy more if you wanted but there was no choice in whether or not you could buy the photos.

In many jurisdictions that would be illegal.

I've no idea what you mean by a jurisdiction.

Try the OED

--
PeterN
Old December 7th 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-12-05 11:20, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 December 2017 21:28:08 UTC, peterN wrote:
On 12/4/2017 6:44 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 December 2017 16:25:04 UTC, peterN wrote:

snip

Some people like to look at their old school photos, for many reasons.
And, no one forces you to buy the school photo.

They did at my school my parents HAD to buy the photos and you could buy more if you wanted but there was no choice in whether or not you could buy the photos.

In many jurisdictions that would be illegal.

I've no idea what you mean by a jurisdiction.

A vast land area, like a country or state or province or nation, where a
determined set of laws apply, and not others that apply on other lands.

Obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisdiction

«Jurisdiction (from the Latin ius, iuris meaning "law" and dicere
meaning "to speak") is the practical authority granted to a legal body
to administer justice within a defined field of responsibility, e.g.,
Michigan tax law. In federations like the U.S., areas of jurisdiction
apply to local, state, and federal levels; e.g. the court has
jurisdiction to apply federal law.

Colloquially it is used to refer to the geographical area to which such
authority applies, e.g. the court has jurisdiction over all of Colorado.
The legal term refers only to the granted authority, not to a
geographical area.»

--
Cheers, Carlos.