Nikon Film Scanner CS III

Old September 20th 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

Default Nikon Film Scanner CS III

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do with a Nikon CS-III (LS-30) that doesn't
seem to work anymore? I used it 10 years ago to scan thousands of transparencies and
negatives, and then moth-balled it. When I recently set it up again, I was able to scan a
couple of negatives, but couldn't get it to do slides. I'm not going to spend any money to try
to get it fixed, but I'm wondering if there's likely to be anyone who would want to get it
fixed and use it.

--
croy
Old September 20th 17, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , croy
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do with a Nikon CS-III
(LS-30) that doesn't
seem to work anymore? I used it 10 years ago to scan thousands of
transparencies and
negatives, and then moth-balled it. When I recently set it up again, I was
able to scan a
couple of negatives, but couldn't get it to do slides. I'm not going to
spend any money to try
to get it fixed, but I'm wondering if there's likely to be anyone who would
want to get it
fixed and use it.

ebay. just be sure to accurately describe its condition.
Old September 21st 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/20/2017 12:56 PM, croy wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do with a Nikon CS-III (LS-30) that doesn't
seem to work anymore? I used it 10 years ago to scan thousands of transparencies and
negatives, and then moth-balled it. When I recently set it up again, I was able to scan a
couple of negatives, but couldn't get it to do slides. I'm not going to spend any money to try
to get it fixed, but I'm wondering if there's likely to be anyone who would want to get it
fixed and use it.

If it will do negatives, it should do slides as well
Old September 21st 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/21/2017 11:50 AM, philo wrote:
On 09/20/2017 12:56 PM, croy wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do with a Nikon
CS-III (LS-30) that doesn't
seem to work anymore?Â* I used it 10 years ago to scan thousands of
transparencies and
negatives, and then moth-balled it.Â* When I recently set it up again,
I was able to scan a
couple of negatives, but couldn't get it to do slides.Â* I'm not going
to spend any money to try
to get it fixed, but I'm wondering if there's likely to be anyone who
would want to get it
fixed and use it.

If it will do negatives, it should do slides as well

I use an Epson Perfection 4490 scanner. The holder for neg strips and
the holder for slides have holes in certain places that the Epson
software looks for. The holes tell the software if you are scanning
mounted slides, 35mm neg strips, or 2 1/4 neg strips. If it doesn't find
these holes, it doesn't work.

The Linux software doesn't seem to care about these marker holes, and
just shows the entire scan window as a preview, and allows selection of
slides or negs, and cropping to the image frame.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 21st 17, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/21/2017 02:49 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
[...]

Had the same scanner . Someone gave it to me well used.
When I died I replaced it with a similar V600

Though I'm mainly a Linux user, the Windows software that came with the
scanner worked better than that avail. free on Linux.

I think if I bought ViewScan for Linux it would have done a better job
Old September 21st 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-09-21 23:13, philo wrote:
[...]

You died? Tell me how is it on the other side :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old September 22nd 17, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
croy wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do with a Nikon CS-III
(LS-30) that doesn't
seem to work anymore? I used it 10 years ago to scan thousands of
transparencies and
negatives, and then moth-balled it. When I recently set it up again, I was
able to scan a
couple of negatives, but couldn't get it to do slides. I'm not going to
spend any money to try
to get it fixed, but I'm wondering if there's likely to be anyone who would
want to get it
fixed and use it.

Old Nikon scanners are obsolete since they are worn and/or fragile of
ageimpossible to get parts for. I use a Opticfilm 8200se dedicated
filmscanner with the Vuescan software and get good results. You do need
the pro version... I would definitely skip the AI version with its
extended Silverfast software and go for Vuescan. I tried the throw in
the box version of Silverfast and was not amused! The totals are about
the same:

OpticFilm 8200SE:

https://www.scandinavianphoto.se/pro...skanner-opticf
ilm-8200i-se