iphone crybaby sues Nikon (boo hoo! No iPhone support for D500 wifi!!

Old June 18th 16, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default iphone crybaby sues Nikon (boo hoo! No iPhone support for D500wifi!!

On 2016-06-18 14:59:02 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Pretty much like Olympus, you have to run an app. on the phone or
iPad
type device to get it to work.

big deal. everything requires an app of some sort.

Phones and pads use wifi universally though, you can use anything from
browsers to whatever to connect via wifi.

using a browser to control a camera and transfer phones would be a
horrific user experience. ugh.

The cameras (that I know of) need
specific, dedicated aps, none of which are very good.

that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.
they're good at making hardware.

even the bundled apps (for laptop/desktop) tend to suck.

So far I have little to complain about with the Fujifilm WiFi
implementation, other than it is a bit of a kludge to make the initial
connection.

is that by connecting to the camera's adhoc wifi network?

Yup! The kludge procedure is to activate the camera WiFi network, then
to go to the iOS device WiFi settings to connect with the camera
network. Only then do you open the Fuji 'Cam Remote' app.

as i said:
that's because camera makers generally can't write quality software.

doing it that way is easy for the camera maker but makes for a worse
user experience.

Once connected it works pretty well. I would hope they improve that side
of things to improve the user experience. It would be nice if they could
make the whole experience seamless so the shooter could have a realtime
WiFi tethered transfer function, as it is possible to get via USB with
an iPad.

I get a full featured remote with display on iPhone or iPad, that
includes the ability to use AF, and set exposure parameters. I can
browse the images on camera, and transfer from camera to iPhone or
iPad. Lastly I can sync location data from phone to files for
geotagging.
https://db.tt/BHzkCkZ3
https://db.tt/8Vj8qlyy

sounds like the usual feature set.

I actually like the remote control which is very useful for all types of
tripod mounted photography from slow shutter speed work, landscape, to
macro.

I am looking at the D500 for many reasons, among which is the
articulating viewfinder and it uses my Nikon glass. But, I still haven't
made up my mind. There are still many factors I have to consider.

--
PeterN
Old June 20th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

it's not an issue at all.

it's nothing more than another ignorant user.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/snapbridge-app.page

This camera´s built-in Wi-Fi® capability can only be used with a
compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices
running on the Android operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge
application must be installed on the device before it can be used
with this camera.

Interesting wording.
"compatible iPhone®, iPad®, and/or iPod touch® or smart devices
running on the Android operating system."

I didn't know iDevices could run on andriod.

whoosh.

do you see where it says 'or' ?

SnapBridge App will be coming to the App Store® Summer 2016.

clear as can be.

the issue will be resolved within 3 months or less.

So not at the moment.

summer begins today and ends in 3 months.

at some point during that time, the necessary software will be
released.
Old June 25th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J.
Clarke wrote:

I'd like to see the box then.
Unless they implied his iPhone was directly supported, there was no false
advertising. How Nikon implements wifi is up to them and it's up to the
potential buyer to do a tiny bit of research before spending $2000.00.
P.S. Camera wifi systems are ALL bad, IMO.

It does say "WiFi certified" and "Made for iPod iPhone iPad"

I guess appealing to Millenials trumps utility.

If something is going to have wifi it should be possible to point it at
a network share and be done with it. If it needs an "app" running on a
damned telephone to have functionality then it's absolutely worthless to
me.

you carry a network share wherever you go?

Snapbridge, as an idea, is clever and I can see where it has utility for
some people, I'm just not one of them.

that's fine.

For those who don't know what "Snapbridge" is, apparently it uses Near
Field Connectivity and Bluetooth to easily establish a low power, short
range link between the camera and the phone, and then when you take a
picture or (I presume) shoot a video, wifi is powered up and used for
the transfer, then shut back down, which is potentially a significant
power saver.

The trouble is that that should not be the _only_ way to use wifi and
bluetooth--each should be able to operate independently of the other
using published standard protocols.

I think that's the issue and I think the lawsuit has merit, because
apparently Nikon has ignored the standard protocols without making it
clear that their cameras are incompatible with standards-compliant
devices.

the lawsuit has no merit.

the plaintiff is upset because it won't work with an iphone.

that's because the ios version isn't available yet, something which not
only was *clearly* *disclosed*, but a situation which will resolve
itself within 3 months, well before the case is even heard.
Old June 25th 16, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/25/2016 10:53 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , J.
Clarke wrote:

[...]

Any rumor on when compatible iOS will be available?

--
PeterN
Old June 25th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I think that's the issue and I think the lawsuit has merit, because
apparently Nikon has ignored the standard protocols without making it
clear that their cameras are incompatible with standards-compliant
devices.

the lawsuit has no merit.

the plaintiff is upset because it won't work with an iphone.

that's because the ios version isn't available yet, something which not
only was *clearly* *disclosed*, but a situation which will resolve
itself within 3 months, well before the case is even heard.

Any rumor on when compatible iOS will be available?

as i said, within 3 months, and it's not a rumour either.

the official statement for the ios version is 'summer 2016'.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/snapbridge-app.page
Old June 25th 16, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 6/25/2016 11:56 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I think that's the issue and I think the lawsuit has merit, because
apparently Nikon has ignored the standard protocols without making it
clear that their cameras are incompatible with standards-compliant
devices.

the lawsuit has no merit.

the plaintiff is upset because it won't work with an iphone.

that's because the ios version isn't available yet, something which not
only was *clearly* *disclosed*, but a situation which will resolve
itself within 3 months, well before the case is even heard.

Any rumor on when compatible iOS will be available?

as i said, within 3 months, and it's not a rumour either.

the official statement for the ios version is 'summer 2016'.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/snapbridge-app.page

My bad. I have no interest in the image transfer function. I was
thinking of remote control of the camera by using an iPhone app.

--
PeterN