Slides for Garden Photograpjy

Old April 29th 04, 06:45 PM
Peter Eisenburger

Default Slides for Garden Photograpjy

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Peter Eisenburger
http://www.petereisenburger.de

Old April 29th 04, 11:40 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Peter Eisenburger" wrote

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany. [Recommendations?]

Kodachrome 64: for the greens of summers.

* * *

When I think back
On all the crap I've learned on usenet
It's a wonder
I can think at all
Though my lack of education
Hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match my sweet imagination
Everything looks worse in black and white

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old April 30th 04, 06:54 AM
Renato V.

"Peter Eisenburger" ha scritto nel messaggio
Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Peter Eisenburger
http://www.petereisenburger.de

Kodak E100VS and Fuji Provia 100 do a good job
Good luck
Renato Valterza
www.redvalterzaphotographers.net

Old April 30th 04, 03:00 PM
John J

Kodak E100VS and Fuji Provia 100 do a good job

Both are quite contrasty, I would use Sensia instead. It ha the vivid
colours of Provia 100 but without the contrast.
JJ

Old April 30th 04, 03:24 PM
John J

"Peter Eisenburger" wrote in message
Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Peter Eisenburger
http://www.petereisenburger.de

I am a fan of Sensia 100 (Astia 100). However the "new" Sensia (Astia 100F)
which I have used has had a significant colour cast in the cyan end of the
spectrum. I can't use it at all. I have bough up big on "old" Sensia 100. I
have now stuck my head in the sand and keep telling myself that it's not
really happening and that "somehow" my stock of "old" Sensia won't run out.

To be a little more realistic, I am hopefull that the batch I tried was
simply crap because there might be some teething problems in the "new"
Sensia 100 production. The "new" Sensia 100 has much finer grain and is
almost "medium format" like. These are the very properties which were
lacking in the "old" Sensia, but which was otherwise perfect. So suddenly
the "new" Sensia 100 was, well, perfect. At least these were my first
impressions before I encountered circumstances which highlighted the colour
cast. I found that the colour cast would be offensive were warming filters
were used but where there was OVER correction. This would usually result in
a warm image, great, but with the "new" Sensia 100 the overcorrection would
result in a green cast, Cyan and yellow/orange=green. Yuck...

My local distributor of the product tells me that no one else has complained
about the colour cast. I'm not sure if this means that Sensia users have
very low standards or if I am the only person to have this problem.

To answer your question, I would use the new sensia but only if you did not
correct with filters such as 81 series.
Sensia is a great general purpose film, lets hope it stays that way.

JJ

Old April 30th 04, 11:59 PM
Fred A. Miller

Peter Eisenburger wrote:

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Peter Eisenburger
http://www.petereisenburger.de

I'd use Kodachrome.

Fred

--
Definition of Terror: A female Klingon with PMS.
Old May 1st 04, 02:29 AM
Gregory W Blank

If you can get E100vs do it for vivid color, it is contrasty
but produces excellent color under the right conditions.

Velvia 50 is a keeper also.

In article ,
Peter Eisenburger wrote:

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Peter Eisenburger
http://www.petereisenburger.de

--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

For best results expand this window at least 6" at 1152 x 768 resolution
Old May 2nd 04, 05:49 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Eisenburger wrote:

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

Sensia ('old'), while not as saturated as Velvia, gives very nice color
for flowers and scans nicely too. I hacen't tried the Sensia 100F yet.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old May 12th 04, 08:34 PM
Peter Eisenburger

Thank you guys for your help. Here are the first impressions of the garden:

http://www.eisenburger.de/Projekte/Schulz/index.html

I'm not yet satisfied with the koi, of course, though these koi pictures
are bitmap edited already. I will test one or two other techniques
including pol filter and will let you know.

I too noticed that my Nikkor zoom is not sharp enough at 28mm. So I'm
trying to get the 28/2.8 at ebay right now

Peter

Old May 13th 04, 07:41 AM
ThomasH

Peter Eisenburger wrote:

Got a job for garden photography. I was planning to use Velvia 100, but
they are on back order (?) everywhere here in Germany.

I have to make the first shots on Sunday and am not sure about the new
Sensia 100 and don't know if I can get enough Velvia 50 tomorrow.

What else would you recommend for this topic? Any special consumer Kodak
slides or consumer Agfa slides?

Agfa CT Precisa is a good choice! I love this material. Its
color balance is warmer than the at times sterile appearing
Sensia. Wolf Faust recommends to use Velvia IT8 profile with
Agfa Precisa. Works quite fine and confirms the higher color
saturation of the CT100 Precisa than in Sensia or Provia.

Thomas