UPDATE: ANNI'S DEAD DRIVE !!!

Old April 1st 05, 04:09 PM
Annika1980

Default UPDATE: ANNI'S DEAD DRIVE !!!

Well after trying all the hardware and software tricks (including
freezing the drive) yesterday my bad hard drive was still shot.
Tick, tick, tick .....

Well miracle among miracles, I started my puter up today and my bad "D"
drive was working!
Schiavo dies, my drive lives .... coincidence?
Who Rules?

I do have the drive just hanging vertically now so maybe that helped
free something up. I'm not touching the damn thing until I get
everything off of it. I just hope the cats don't play with it.

I immediately backed up most of my pics to my other drives (until I ran
out of room on them).
I was going to make backup DVDs of the pics, but my Nero program is on
the bad drive and won't work.

Looks like a trip to Best Buy to get a bigger drive is in order.
Incidentally, I have 2 SATA drives and 1 IDE drive and the IDE drive is
the one that died. Don't know if that means anything.

Old April 1st 05, 04:20 PM
ANNIKAS_HARDDRIVE

I temporarily lost my negatives once too. But then I found them at the
bottom of my closet.

BWAhAHAHAHAH

(sorry...your troubles or "close call" couldn' have happened to a more
vocal opponent of film

Old April 1st 05, 04:39 PM
jimkramer

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Great! You can still back up on CD's with XP. Do pick up an external drive
and copy the images off the machine before you shut it down.

Jim

Old April 1st 05, 06:43 PM
ThomasH

Annika1980 wrote:

Well after trying all the hardware and software tricks (including
freezing the drive) yesterday my bad hard drive was still shot.
Tick, tick, tick .....

You do not listen. Drive freeze, he? How about calling
up an indian shaman and let him dance around the drive?

Well miracle among miracles, I started my puter up today and my bad "D"
drive was working!
Schiavo dies, my drive lives .... coincidence?
Who Rules?

The indian shaman. Its a miracle :-) I assume a problem with your
cabling.

I do have the drive just hanging vertically now so maybe that helped
free something up. I'm not touching the damn thing until I get
everything off of it. I just hope the cats don't play with it.

I immediately backed up most of my pics to my other drives (until I ran
out of room on them).
I was going to make backup DVDs of the pics, but my Nero program is on
the bad drive and won't work.

Looks like a trip to Best Buy to get a bigger drive is in order.
Incidentally, I have 2 SATA drives and 1 IDE drive and the IDE drive is
the one that died. Don't know if that means anything.

Despite the fact that you do not listen, let me place one more
advice: Do not go for "max capacity drives," its not like the
megapixels. You will get a less mature technology based on an
extreme density of data. Lets call it "experimental". Analyze
which size of drive will give you the max. number of Gigabytes
per dollar. Take more moderate size drives, they will last longer
and you will have a greater level of redundancy.

Despite the miraculous healing of your drive, this is still
valid and important:

Have you used Spinrite?
Have you activated SMART monitor on your drives?
Have you taken a free utility, such as HD health and
tried out if it shows some bad sectors or seek errors?

Maybe reading of http://www.storagereview.com/ would be a good
idea before deciding which new drive to take.

Thomas

Old April 1st 05, 06:53 PM
Alan Browne

ThomasH wrote:

Annika1980 wrote:

Well after trying all the hardware and software tricks (including
freezing the drive) yesterday my bad hard drive was still shot.
Tick, tick, tick .....

You do not listen. Drive freeze, he? How about calling
up an indian shaman and let him dance around the drive?

In electronics development it is quite common to use heat and cold to
isolate faulty components. Usually to induce a failure, but sometimes
to bring a component down in temp to where it will work.

Given the electromechanical properties of a HD, freezing would cause
parts to contract and may enable the drive to work. Might not either.
Given the value of the data on the disk, it is certainly right to try.

And, as we can see, Bret has managed to get it going again. Whether due
to the freezing or not we won't know ... but giving up in disgust
certainly would not have helped.

Cheers,
Alan

Old April 2nd 05, 01:31 AM
Martin Riddle

Go for a IDE RAID setup.
All of you Pros out there should be smart enough to invest in so little.

Happy customers are one thing,
Angry customers are another.