Nikon is backwards

Old January 27th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default Nikon is backwards

https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The rental company was not amused.
Old January 27th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this.* In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner.* The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.
Old January 28th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.
Old January 28th 19, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras, and you know this how?

Savageduck
Old January 28th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:03:04 -0000, RichA wrote:

On Sunday, 27 January 2019 17:32:41 UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The rental company was not amused.

The bayonet is fine if you never go from one system to another and back, but it grates if you do.

Not for me. Everything in life tightens to the right. Taps, screws, etc, etc. Having to do one thing the other way simply will never work for me. It's one of those things I expect to be intuitive. If I want to tighten something, it goes clockwise. If that snaps a fragile component inside the camera, I'll never buy their product again. There's simply no need to be different to the rest of the entire world.
Old January 28th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 00:19:11 -0000, wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras,

The Finepix S1000FD and the similar one made before that which claimed 6MP.

and you know this how?

By looking at the pictures they produced obviously.
Old January 28th 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 18:19:11 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras, and you know this how?

My "car camera" is a Fuji FinePix F600EXR, and it's the worst buying
decision I've made in the area of photography. I bought it when there
were not as many choices of compacts that have manual control and
shoot RAW as there are now. And, I made the mistake of buying a
camera online without handling it in person. The local stores didn't
have enough of a selection.

The zoom is jerky and extremely difficult to set to frame a photo.
Given enough time, I can frame the scene but that makes it worthless
for street photography. OK for a static scene, but that's not the
type of photo I go after. Shutter response is slow so any moving
target is blind luck. It's not good at low-light, but the RAW frame
can sometimes be rescued.

The reviews for the camera painted a good picture, but they were about
image quality. If I photograph a tree, I get a very sharp image. I'm
just not interested in the scenes that the Fuji is good at.

Our daughter is going to Greece in March, and doesn't want to take her
Nikon DSLR. She'd like to get a compact for the trip. She borrowed my
Fuji for a couple of days and decided she'd be better off with a cheap
P&S. No RAW, but she'd rather have an easy-to-use P&S without that,
so she's doing the right thing and checking out cameras in stores that
she can handle before buying.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 28th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras,

The Finepix S1000FD and the similar one made before that which claimed 6MP.

and you know this how?

By looking at the pictures they produced obviously.

Looking at the pictures they produced will not tell you anything about the
sensor, or its specs. A more thorough examination of the image files is
going to be needed. Besides, you are talking about a long defunct camera.

Savageduck
Old January 28th 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

WTF is the point in them telling me what the sensor can do if the output image isn't as good as that? I don't care if it's the sensor or the lens or something else that limits it. I expect an image worthy of the MP it claims.

A more thorough examination of the image files is going to be needed.

Yip, did that. I get about 25% of the MP Fuji quote. Canon gives 100%. Sony gives 80%.

Besides, you are talking about a long defunct camera.

I don't care, they made two cameras that lied about their output. Every time I've had a Canon, it produced what it said on the tin.
Old January 28th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, it seems they still haven't begun making decent cameras then, that model is newer than both of mine.

The zoom is jerky and extremely difficult to set to frame a photo.

Yip, my older Fujis had the same problem, the subject had usually moved away (an animal for example) by the time the bloody camera had focused.

Given enough time, I can frame the scene but that makes it worthless
for street photography. OK for a static scene, but that's not the
type of photo I go after. Shutter response is slow so any moving
target is blind luck. It's not good at low-light, but the RAW frame
can sometimes be rescued.

The reviews for the camera painted a good picture, but they were about
image quality. If I photograph a tree, I get a very sharp image. I'm
just not interested in the scenes that the Fuji is good at.

I don't even get a sharp image of a tree. Mine claims 10MP, but viewing it any higher than about 4MP gives an unsharp image.

Our daughter is going to Greece in March, and doesn't want to take her
Nikon DSLR. She'd like to get a compact for the trip. She borrowed my
Fuji for a couple of days and decided she'd be better off with a cheap
P&S. No RAW, but she'd rather have an easy-to-use P&S without that,
so she's doing the right thing and checking out cameras in stores that
she can handle before buying.

I regret selling my Canon DSLR. I thought a compact camera would be easier to take hillwalking etc, but the picture quality sux. I got sharper images from the Canon 6MP camera than from the Fuji 10MP camera. It's like everything nowadays, the number quoted on the box is meaningless. I bought some rechargeable batteries that claimed 2500mAh. I dared to actually test them and found they were 600mAh. I got 100% money back and got to keep them. An obvious fake piece of crap. I use them to power my electric toothbrush, they're utterly useless for cameras.