aurora borealis

Old August 13th 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default aurora borealis

... and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
watermark - see:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...-58455_lrg.jpg

Cheers,
David

Old August 13th 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:19:44 +0100, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
watermark - see:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...-58455_lrg.jpg

Cheers,
David

Damn, look at all the noise in that image. I get better images of aurora
with my superzoom cameras. Someone should teach that idiot how to use a
camera properly, there was no need for ISO6400 on aurora. Even dim aurora.

Here's one I took up in BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) when exploring
the region for a few months. (JPG degradation intentional.)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4888693180_aeea456d7e_z.jpg

Climbed out of my sleeping bag to go take a **** in the middle of the
night, and my dark-adapted eyes saw this rather dim aurora (note all the
magnitude 4 and 5 stars easily visible through it). Sleepy and blurry-eyed,
I grabbed the camera and handheld it on top of a stump to see what that
superzoom could do. First time trying to capture aurora with that
particular camera. I was impressed. Got tons more pics of aurora since
then, after I realized how well it could image such dim subjects,
noise-free, so easily.

Old August 14th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
[...]

The only part of that yarn that I believe is that you once got up in the
middle of the night to take a ****.

Bob
Old August 14th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

: wrote:
:
: .. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
: watermark - see:
:
:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd
:
:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima.../ISS023-E-5845
5_lrg.jpg
:
: Cheers,
: David
:
[...]

Most likely he was so blind drunk that the Depends® flooded...

Old August 14th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

: wrote:
:
[...]

I'm sorry that your life hasn't been as adventurous and wondrous as mine.
And that you haven't seen and photographed as amazing things as I have all
my life. But that's your own sorry excuse of a life and pathetic fault. Try
to not take out your regret of a life on those who haven't lived as
sheltered and wuss of a life as you have lived. You've made that quite
obvious.

Old August 14th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:33:20 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

: