Canon 28-135mm EF IS F/3.5-5.6 US lens

Old September 29th 04, 04:45 AM
Mark M

"jimkramer" wrote in message

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
. ..

"jimkramer" wrote in message
Anybody do a home disassembly and cleaning of this lens. I have a

nasty
white hair on the outside of the second element and some dead

curled-up
creepy crawly on the inside of the second rear element. I'm not

impressed
with the dust seals on this lens so far as it is only 2 months old

tomorrow;
but the optics are great.

Das Machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy

schnappen
der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist

nicht
fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren musten

keepen
das cotten-pickenen hands in das pockets - relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlights.

Wow, that was some of the worst Faux Deutsch Ich habe gesehen. I am
thoroughly impressed with your lack of abilities and the utter uselessness
of your reply.

Thanks for trying, Please don't try again.
Jim Kramer

I thought it was quite funny, Jim.
-All in good fun...

Old September 29th 04, 04:49 AM
Mark M

"jimkramer" wrote in message
"jimkramer" wrote in message
Anybody do a home disassembly and cleaning of this lens. I have a nasty
white hair on the outside of the second element and some dead curled-up
creepy crawly on the inside of the second rear element. I'm not

impressed
with the dust seals on this lens so far as it is only 2 months old

tomorrow;
but the optics are great.

Jim (why isn't there a cleaning port here?) Kramer

I apparently made a mistake in asking what I assumed was a simple 35mm
equipment question to this group. You all have my deepest and sincerest
apologies for troubling you all with an on topic post. My mistake, I'll

try
not to do it again.

Jim Kramer

You asked a simple question...yes.
But that's not the problem.
I think it's a safe bet that very few people have had need to disasemble
this particular lens, and those few who have--likely haven't seen your post.
You've asked a very specific question that requires a SINGLE and UNUSUAL
specific experience that most with this same lens haven't had need to gain.

Nobody's ignoring your question...we/they/I just haven't taken apart our
28-135 IS.
If I had taken mine apart, I'd be gladly answering you here, as I'm sure
may other would.

Old September 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:08:25 -0400, jimkramer had this to say:

"jimkramer" wrote in message
Anybody do a home disassembly and cleaning of this lens. I have a nasty
white hair on the outside of the second element and some dead curled-up
creepy crawly on the inside of the second rear element. I'm not
impressed with the dust seals on this lens so far as it is only 2 months
old

tomorrow;
but the optics are great.

Jim (why isn't there a cleaning port here?) Kramer

I apparently made a mistake in asking what I assumed was a simple 35mm
equipment question to this group. You all have my deepest and sincerest
apologies for troubling you all with an on topic post. My mistake, I'll
try not to do it again.

Well, go right ahead...open the sucker up! Use an old dishtowel to wipe
the elements clean of whatever crap might be floating around in there. I
mean it's only an IS lens, I'm sure it will be fine.

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

Old September 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:17:08 +0000, William Graham had this to say:

Get a life. That little speech is very well known.

Ah! - I remember now.....This is what we used to call, "Katzenjammer
kids humor". It was popularized by the cartoonist back in the 30's who
drew the Katzenjammer kids comic strip........

Ja, I rememberin zat komic very vell (even zo I vas only born in der 60's!).

Old September 29th 04, 10:32 PM
William Graham

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.29.15.29.34.436000@realphoto...
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:17:08 +0000, William Graham had this to say:

Get a life. That little speech is very well known.

Ah! - I remember now.....This is what we used to call, "Katzenjammer
kids humor". It was popularized by the cartoonist back in the 30's who
drew the Katzenjammer kids comic strip........

Ja, I rememberin zat komic very vell (even zo I vas only born in der

60's!).

Then you should get a kick out of this:
http://www.kingfeatures.com/features...kids/about.htm

Old September 30th 04, 07:02 PM
Dallas

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:32:50 +0000, William Graham had this to say:

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.29.15.29.34.436000@realphoto...
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:17:08 +0000, William Graham had this to say:

Get a life. That little speech is very well known.

Ah! - I remember now.....This is what we used to call, "Katzenjammer
kids humor". It was popularized by the cartoonist back in the 30's who
drew the Katzenjammer kids comic strip........

Ja, I rememberin zat komic very vell (even zo I vas only born in der

60's!).

Then you should get a kick out of this:
http://www.kingfeatures.com/features...kids/about.htm

Fantastic! I haven't seen that strip in about 20 years! Thanks for the
link.

Old October 3rd 04, 02:06 PM
S Lee

Just for the sake of reference:

http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/

....but it's just for available parts, not assembly instructions.

--
______________A L L D O N E ! B Y E B Y E !_________________
Old October 3rd 04, 04:01 PM
Fred McKenzie

Questions on this ng regarding the dismantling of lenses typically
draw a "don't do it" reply. We are, in the main, photographers, not camera and

lens repair people.

Alan-

No doubt you are correct regarding the people who hang out here. But it IS an
"equipment" newsgroup!

I've been known to disassemble a lens. (All right, it was from an Argus C-3.)
Quite by chance, I found an internal element spacer that was non-symmetrical
and had been reversed. By re-reversing it, the original problem went away.
Then I was faced with the problem of re-aligning both the lens and the
rangefinder, using ground-glass in the film plane.

Assuming you had the necessary tools, and that the Canon lens could be
carefully disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, you would then be faced with
realignment, or at least verifying it. Equipment required for such a
sophisticated lens would be more expensive than the lens.

Fred