Rec.photo** hijack

Old September 9th 04, 06:35 AM
Guy Macon

Default Rec.photo** hijack

Be aware that there is an effort by Alan Browne and several others of
this newsgroup to create four new rec.photo** newsgroups. Creation of
these groups will kill this group. Worst of all, the charter of this NG
will not be affected if any of these new groups are passed, which means
that this group will abandoned by the talented folks. Alan Browne is on
record for wanting a charter change for this newsgroup. Russ Allmighty
of news.groups declared that charter amendments are not possible, so
this is Alan and his gang's way of creating a safety zone for the
elite. Please do not fall for this line of subterfuge. It is a crock.
Guy Macon

Old September 9th 04, 08:02 AM
Gordon Moat

Some paranoia coming from Google? The only news group creation I have
seen is for digital imaging. Those of us who still use 35 mm gear will
continue to post here. Perhaps it might become as sparse as the medium
format or large format groups, but I see nothing wrong with that. You
will not be seeing my posts on any digital equipment groups.

Just a curiosity, though you must be a lurker. . . . . . . . Perhaps you
could reply about which posts, or posters, you have found useful, that
you believe might disappear. Why not ask those people directly through
this group?

I post because I welcome the chance to help others, when possible. I
also read many posts, because none of us can know too much.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com Updated!

Old September 9th 04, 12:28 PM
Matt Clara

Old September 9th 04, 12:28 PM
Matt Clara

Old September 9th 04, 02:35 PM
Böwzér

"Guy Macon" wrote in message
Be aware that there is an effort by Alan Browne and several others of
this newsgroup to create four new rec.photo** newsgroups. Creation of
these groups will kill this group. Worst of all, the charter of this NG
will not be affected if any of these new groups are passed, which means
that this group will abandoned by the talented folks. Alan Browne is on
record for wanting a charter change for this newsgroup. Russ Allmighty
of news.groups declared that charter amendments are not possible, so
this is Alan and his gang's way of creating a safety zone for the
elite. Please do not fall for this line of subterfuge. It is a crock.
Guy Macon

As the person who is *obviously* the most talented shooter in this NG, I
promise to stay. I'm sure all the other, less talented shooters will promise
to stay, as well. ;-)

Sheesh...

Old September 9th 04, 06:13 PM
Bill Tuthill

Gordon Moat wrote:
Some paranoia coming from Google? The only news group creation I have
seen is for digital imaging. Those of us who still use 35 mm gear will
continue to post here. Perhaps it might become as sparse as the medium
format or large format groups, but I see nothing wrong with that. You
will not be seeing my posts on any digital equipment groups.

I post because I welcome the chance to help others, when possible. I
also read many posts, because none of us can know too much.

You are one of the good posters still left here, Gordon. Seems like
there are far fewer than there once were. Are you sick of DSLR stuff
posted here? Personally I'm not, but I can understand how others
would be sick of the Shoot-In and/or DSLRs.

Talk about overkill! In RFD #4 the four new groups would be
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rec.photo.digital.zlr
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder

Old September 9th 04, 09:53 PM
John McWilliams

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:

[...]

The original post is a forgery of a regular in news.groups, which
manages the *creation* of new charters for big 8 NGs. Written probably
by someone who wants to keep putting flies in the ointment and, among
many agendas, change the charters of this group and rec.photo.digital.

There's a very long history- all within the last few weeks!- of why the
names, why the multiple groups, etc. are being proposed in the FRD's
being posted in news.groups and in r.p.d.

It now is clearer than ever, that changes to an existing charter cannot
be done, so perhaps over time those who keep trying to force that will
find other opportunites to promote change.

--

John McWilliams