Flash unit for Nikon F2 Photomic?

Old October 23rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ricky G. Martin

Default Flash unit for Nikon F2 Photomic?

Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

Ricky

Old October 23rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"Ricky G. Martin" wrote in message
Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the
AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or
batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

Ricky

I connected an SB-16 to my F2 with DP1. I used a PC cable to the socket on
the F2. I did use the SB-16 in the auto mode...

Jim

Old October 23rd 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott Schuckert

In article , Ricky G. Martin
wrote:

Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

I've owned the SB-7E; it was the "matching" flash for that camera and
is quite nice as far as it goes. Nothing really special except that it
activated the in-finder ready light. I still come across them from time
to time, and for some odd reason they all seem to be in near-mint
condition and work fine. I suspect they were mostly bought by doctor
types and never actually used.

The Vivitar 283/285 with an AS-1 is also a good combination, as long as
you're careful not to bang it on anything. The over-the-rewind position
is somewhat awkward; if you bump the flash on anything you WILL break
the shoe off the Vivitar (the F2 and AS-1 will be fine).
Old October 24th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Ricky G. Martin" wrote

Nikon F2 and flash

I use a Metz 45 series 'potato masher' flash with an
F2. I don't like placing the flash unit over the rewind
knob as I have had problems where the rewind knob drags
on the flash, the drag causes the film to tear at the
sprocket holes and I take 40+ pictures with no film
advance. Ditto with the Nikon F3.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old October 24th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Ricky G. Martin" wrote

Nikon F2 and flash

I use a Metz 45 series 'potato masher' flash with an
F2. I don't like placing the flash unit over the rewind
knob as I have had problems where the rewind knob drags
on the flash, the drag causes the film to tear at the
sprocket holes and I take 40+ pictures with no film
advance. Ditto with the Nikon F3.

I'll second the Metz "potato masher" advice.

The old 45 CT1 models are available very cheaply (because they never
die) and their high trigger voltage is no problem for the F2.
Old October 24th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
DD

In article , soundinvestment@dixie-
net.com says...
Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

Best flash for any Nikon camera is the SB-800. It'll work on nearly any
Nikon with excellent results. I've even used it on a Leica M6 as well as
an Epson R-D1.

And its also got a built in SU-4 slave which can operate in manual mode.

Old October 24th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott Schuckert

In article , DD
wrote:

Best flash for any Nikon camera is the SB-800. It'll work on nearly any
Nikon with excellent results. I've even used it on a Leica M6 as well as
an Epson R-D1.

And its also got a built in SU-4 slave which can operate in manual mode.

If you're going to recommend a $400 flash for a 30-year old camera,
which can never use 90% of the flashes capabilities.... you should say
WHY.

Otherwise people will thinking you're making a bad joke, or
deliberately giving bad advice.
Old October 24th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , DD
wrote:

Best flash for any Nikon camera is the SB-800. It'll work on nearly any
Nikon with excellent results. I've even used it on a Leica M6 as well as
an Epson R-D1.

And its also got a built in SU-4 slave which can operate in manual mode.

If you're going to recommend a $400 flash for a 30-year old camera,
which can never use 90% of the flashes capabilities.... you should say
WHY.

Anybody who is saying that there exists a single best flash for all purposes
is not to be taken seriously anyhow.

Old October 24th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ricky G. Martin

snip

Thanks to all who responded! That design issue with the rewind knob is
something that one only finds out through experience; same with the Vivitar
283 shoe. I chose an F2 because I needed a good all manual camera for
learning the art, and it's been great. Flash was not an issue, until now...

Metz is a new name to me so I'll have to look into that. From the name
"potato masher" it sounds like a handle mount. That would be great. Or,
maybe I can find one of those "near mint" SB-7E 's. 8^)

Thanks again,

Ricky

Old October 25th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"DD" wrote in message
In article , soundinvestment@dixie-
net.com says...
Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the
AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or
batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any
sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

Best flash for any Nikon camera is the SB-800. It'll work on nearly any
Nikon with excellent results. I've even used it on a Leica M6 as well as
an Epson R-D1.

And its also got a built in SU-4 slave which can operate in manual mode.

--

Unless it has a PC socket, it won't work on either my Nikon S2 or my Nikon
F2. My SB-16, however works quite well on either camera in addition to my