Cleaning a sony digital Lens

Old June 18th 13, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

Default Cleaning a sony digital Lens

I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges

is there a best way to clean the lens?

I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
although they seem to be a little dried out.

Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
free shipping.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix dot com | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Old June 18th 13, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-18 13:09:52 -0700, (Paul Ciszek) said:

I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges

is there a best way to clean the lens?

I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
although they seem to be a little dried out.

Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

The

second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
free shipping.

Good advise.

I would add that a Qtip or cotton bud is a poor choice due the
abrasive quality of cotton and which has the potential of damaging lens
coatings.

A blower such as a Giotto's Rocket is useful to blow moveable dust and
contaminants from the lens surface before wipe cleaning. Do not use
"canned air"! A brush also works for this task.

Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.

http://photosol.com/

Savageduck

Old June 18th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , says...

I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges

is there a best way to clean the lens?

I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
although they seem to be a little dried out.

Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical-...cleaning+fluid

The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
free shipping.

If there's a Harbor Freight near you they'll sell you a bag of big
microfiber cloths for 6 bucks that work fine. For lens cleaning one bag
should last several generations of photographers. For cleaning fluid
isopropyl alcohol, possibly diluted with distilled water, works fine.

Another option is a dust blower and a LensPen.
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-
Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sim_p_1
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...en_NLP_1_NLP_1
_Lenspen.html

Note--be careful about the LensPen--there are some fakes out there that
fall apart after a couple of uses--make sure you buy from a reliable
online source or a local dealer where you can return it easily. Before
you buy on Amazon read the reviews--they're apparently getting some
fakes from whoever supplied them.

Old June 19th 13, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
peternew[_2_]

On 2013-06-18 13:09:52 -0700, (Paul Ciszek) said:

[...]

Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just pat.

--
PeterN
Old June 19th 13, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 19/06/2013 04:01, peternew wrote:
On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.

http://photosol.com/

Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just
pat.

I'd be surprised if either were pure enough although it depends exactly
what they were flavoured or denatured with. Isopropanol that has been
stored in a glass bottle is one of the better lens cleaners.

I am old school and prefer a strip of lens tissue for cleaning lenses.

You can buy lens cleaner from any photodealer, but you should be *very*
gentle when cleaning and leave as little residual solvent on the surface
as possible. Under no circumstances scour the surface or rub hard as
every tiny scratch diminishes the contrast of the image.

Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

Martin Brown
Old June 19th 13, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peternew[_2_]

On 6/19/2013 2:31 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes isopropyol alcohol will work too. You can't overstate the importance
of not rubbing, or using excess fluid.

--
PeterN
Old June 19th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-19 12:49:01 -0700, said:

thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

marc

What model Sony is that?

Savageduck

Old June 19th 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-19 12:49:01 -0700, said:

thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

marc

What model Sony is that?

OK! I see that it is a DSC HX20V.
Was this used or a "store demo", or did you buy this unused & boxed?

I don't see how the "blotch" could be a sensor contamination problem,
unless it came from the factory in that condition. I would make another
lens cleaning attempt, as that looks like a grease or oil smear you
might have missed with your first clean.

Savageduck

Old June 19th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peternew[_2_]

On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, wrote:
thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

--
PeterN
Old June 19th 13, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-06-19 14:15:12 -0700, peternew said:

On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, wrote:
thanks all,

I was able to clean the front lens, to where
it looks much cleaner...BUT....

look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

something else is wrong with the lens;
see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

I think I'm returning the camera

that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

Not on the sensor of a compact such as that owned by the OP, it isn't.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...shot-dsc-HX20v

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

After living with my dust magnet D70 I became very proficient at DSLR
sensor cleaning and familiar with various methods.
Two sites I recommend the DSLR owner to visit are the following:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...-Supplies.aspx

....but that still doesn't solve the OP's problem.

Savageduck

lens cleaning Sky Digital Photography 3 February 2nd 06 12:45 AM
Cleaning my lens April Lyons via PhotoKB.com 35mm Photo Equipment 12 March 17th 05 05:51 PM
lens cleaning Ben Rosengart Other Photographic Equipment 2 February 26th 05 09:49 PM
Lens cleaning Deputy Dog Digital ZLR Cameras 2 February 7th 05 12:20 PM
Lens cleaning Paul Westwell Digital Photography 40 September 20th 04 07:39 PM