Bracketing with a Mamiya TLR

Old July 9th 04, 06:41 PM
Vincent Becker

Default Bracketing with a Mamiya TLR

Is it possible to get half-stop or
third-stop increments with a Mamiya TLR (C220)? The 80mm lens I have
has only notches for full stops.

Yes, of course. Just put the diaphragm ring halfway between two clicks,
and you'll have a wonderful half stop :-) The notches on the diaphragm
ring are just here for convenience, intermediate values work perfectly.
So you can have any stop-fraction you need. Don't do this with the speed
ring however, I don't think that intermediate times are available on the
Mamiya C shutters.

If this is so, what kind of thread does
the 80mm lens have and do current filter manufacturers produce filters
for it?

The thread is 46mm. I don't know how easy it is to find a filter with
this thread. Anyway you don't need one for half-stops.

How much does an ND filter affect the sharpness of a photo?

It depends on the quality and coating of the filter, but adding glass in
front of the lens always affect sharpness. It is better to work without
filter when possible, though an UV filter might be used to protect the
front lens.

I just received my first test photos I took with my used C220 and they
are beautiful!

Welcome in the wonderful world of MF :-)

As can be expected
from a TLR newbie I had some issues with parallax doing close-ups of
flowers and an anthill, but nothing that can't be fixed with more
careful framing.

If you intend to do close-ups regularly, I strongly recommend the
Paramender. I just bought one and it makes life *a lot* easier,
especially with the C220 which has no parallax indicator.

There was some strange haze in the lower center of my
anthill pictures which I suspect is lens flare (haven't found a hood,
yet).

You should, it is very useful as Mamiya C lenses aren't recessed at all.

It could also be something between the lens and the subject; I
was somewhat distracted by a swarm of flying flesh-eating killer bugs.

Also buy a flame-thrower. It is very efficient against bugs and can add
interest to otherwise dull pictures.

Vincent Becker
Photographies et appareils anciens - Photography and classic cameras
URL:http://www.lumieresenboite.com

Old July 9th 04, 07:23 PM
KFritch

Is it possible to get half-stop or
third-stop increments with a Mamiya TLR (C220)?

Yes, just stop in between the marked click stops. You should be able to
eyeball half stop increments.

If this is so, what kind of thread does
the 80mm lens have and do current filter manufacturers produce filters
for it?

The 80mm lenses usually take a 46mm filter. So, I believe do the 55, 105 and
the 135. The 65, 180, and 250 take 49mm filters. If you are going to use
threaded filters, buy a 46-49mm adapter and then buy 49mm filters. For lens
hoods, instead of the Mamiya hoods, I usually use Pentax hoods which screw
directly into the front of the 49mm filter I'm using. (Doesn't have to be
Pentax, I just happen to own a lot of old spotmatics and accessories). You
need to check each lens, though since older versions may use differing size
filters (my old 105mm uses 40.5mm)

How much does an ND filter affect the sharpness of a photo?

If you use good glass, it shouldn't be a problem. 49mm is a common size and
should be readily available.

which I suspect is lens flare

I'd suspect the same thing.