phenidone concentrate

Old January 25th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default phenidone concentrate

How concentrated can I make a phenidone /alcohol solution? I hate the
smell of the alcohol (but I love the way phenidone dissolves in it) so
i would like to have as little as possible in my developers. Measuring
smaller amounts of a more concentrated solution is not a problem. Thanks

Old January 25th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

You can make a 10% solution of phenidone in propylene glycol that has
no smell and will last forever on the shelf.

Jay

Old January 26th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Joe:

I gave Patrick Dignan's suggested method a try. In 1 liter
of water dissolve 1 gram of phenidone plus 5 grams of sodium
bisulfite. I made one change, I put it all in 250 ml., 8 ounces.

I use a splits method for portioning out stock or concentrates.
At start that one 250 ml went into two 125 ml bottles. The first
split after compounding would be a 125 into 2, 62.5 ml bottles.
A second split into 2, 1 ounce bottles brings the amount
to 1/8 gram phenidone. All contents are still at stock
or concentrate strength and full to the brim. Dan

Old January 26th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Will propylene glycol affect the pH of a solution it's added to? I think the
alcohol won't.
-Lew
ups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:
You can make a 10% solution of phenidone in propylene glycol that has
no smell and will last forever on the shelf.

Jay

But I probbaly need to buy a gallon of PG for $10 or more, right?

Old January 26th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I use 90% alcohol as my Phenidone stock mixed in 100 ml (1% solution)
sizes, which is enough to do about 50 liters of developer. While others
tout the greater keeping properties of glycol, I have found that my 100
ml bottle of stock will keep its potency for about six months. I can
live with having to mix stock twice a year (how long does it take to
throw a 1/2 teaspoon of Phenidone into a beaker of 100 ml. alcohol?) in
order to realize the huge savings in cost and the convenience of being
able to get my alcohol at the grocery store.

Larry

Old January 27th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Joe wrote:
How concentrated can I make a phenidone /alcohol solution? I hate the
smell of the alcohol (but I love the way phenidone dissolves in it) so
i would like to have as little as possible in my developers. Measuring
smaller amounts of a more concentrated solution is not a problem. Thanks

well, I got .5 gram into 25 ml so far. Should I keep going?