Dilute acufine chart

Old January 11th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Dilute acufine chart

Acufine is not intended for dilution, Acu-1 is.

That's what we are trying to tell you!

Lew wrote:
Right, but I'm looking for Acufine, not ACU-1.
Thanks.
"Mike King" wrote in message
From the back of a rather dusty can of Acu-1 I have dilution's of 1:5 and
1:10 which are rather odd but I guess Rodinal does the same thing with
it's
weird 1+25, etc. In either case, economical and long keeping, nice
acutance.

I have a time and temp chart for Acu-1 and gotta tell you, just ignore the
published EI's, run your own tests.
--
darkroommike

"Lew" wrote in message
I've come across as few cans of acufine that I'd like to use as a 1-shot
developer. Are there any time/temp data around for using it at various
dilutions?
-Lew

Old January 11th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steve wrote:

In a Jobo 1:3 @ 20c

From those results I'd think 1:7 possible with 1/2 again more
time. I just ordered a liter of ACU-1, a powder one shot version of
Acufine. It will go 1:9. Me thinks even more. Dan

Hi Dan,
You may find it runs out of steam at that dilution -- try 1:3 it is very
fine and good "normal" gradation.

Steve

Steve, what's your solution volume using that Jobo? When
I mentioned the 1:7 dilution I had 500 ml in mind using the
more usual tank with inversion. Certainly a liter of Acufine
is good for a dozen rolls. At 500 ml/roll that would be a
1:5 dilution.
IIRC, the OP did not give any details of how he developes.
There's no more chemistry in 250 ml at 1:3 than in 500 ml
at 1:7. Dan

Old January 11th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:44:14 -0800, UC wrote:

Acufine is not intended for dilution, Acu-1 is.

That's what we are trying to tell you!

Listen you ugly troll,

The poster has asked for information on using Acufine as a diluted
developer. He does not need the permission of a bent withered bridge
dweller like you to try a combination that works exceedingly well. If he
chooses to go the road of your counsel I'm sure he will address you
personally. Your opinions based on all your venomous postings are useless.

Acufine is similar to Microphen and Agfa Refinal in characteristics and as
such works very well diluted. I can attest to that FACT having used all
three developers and not just rabbitted on from under the bridge as people
pass by.

UC, do you have a website of your photographic work so that you can be
assessed by your peers? I have seen your work and have had an opportunity
to form my opinion.

Old January 11th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:27:29 -0800, dan.c.quinn wrote:

Steve wrote:

In a Jobo 1:3 @ 20c

From those results I'd think 1:7 possible with 1/2 again more
time. I just ordered a liter of ACU-1, a powder one shot version of
Acufine. It will go 1:9. Me thinks even more. Dan

Hi Dan,
You may find it runs out of steam at that dilution -- try 1:3 it is very
fine and good "normal" gradation.

Steve

Steve, what's your solution volume using that Jobo? When
I mentioned the 1:7 dilution I had 500 ml in mind using the
more usual tank with inversion. Certainly a liter of Acufine
is good for a dozen rolls. At 500 ml/roll that would be a
1:5 dilution.
IIRC, the OP did not give any details of how he developes.
There's no more chemistry in 250 ml at 1:3 than in 500 ml
at 1:7. Dan

Dan,

I tried the dilution in both a stainless steel tank [400ml] and a Jobo
[270ml] and found it ran out of energy above the 1:3 dilution. Possibly if
you wanted to test it and extend the development time you may maintain the
result.

Using it in the Jobo the images where very sharp and the contrast was well
controlled. [5 minute water bath] I shot with my Hasselblad and my 5x4. I
found using a densitometer based on a zone 1 exposure that the developer
returned very close to the makers ISO. Results were always consistant and
the developer showed no signs of going off in the smaller bottles.

IF I could get Acufine here in Australia I would not hesitate to use it as
my main developer.

Probably 15 - 20 years ago when Acufine was readily available here I used
it without dilution and while it was a very good developer I do like the
character of it diluted.

Thanks to Patrick Gainer's excellent proven knowledge and desire to share
that knowledge I have made his Metol/Rodinal substitute and my initial
results are very promising. I was very suprised how simple it was to mix.
To my eye it is similar [but different] to classic Rodinal in the glass
bottles of 40 years ago.

I'm not saying it is the same as Rodinal but it exhibits many of the
characteristics I recognise over many years of Rodinal use.

Old January 12th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steve wrote:

: The poster has asked for information on using Acufine as a diluted
: developer. He does not need the permission of a bent withered bridge
: dweller like you to try a combination that works exceedingly well. If he
: chooses to go the road of your counsel I'm sure he will address you
: personally. Your opinions based on all your venomous postings are useless.

: Acufine is similar to Microphen and Agfa Refinal in characteristics and as
: such works very well diluted. I can attest to that FACT having used all
: three developers and not just rabbitted on from under the bridge as people
: pass by.

: UC, do you have a website of your photographic work so that you can be
: assessed by your peers? I have seen your work and have had an opportunity
: to form my opinion.

I'm going against my better judgement of ignoring the troll. I wish that we could
get back to that here but it's not looking good. I would encourage those attempting
to have a conversation with the troll to have a look at his online gallery at:
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...tti&off set=0
and then decide if he's someone that you want to be taking advice from.

I would like to express my appologies to all and once again ask that we join in
a united front and simply ignore anything and everything that the troll posts.

--

-------------------
Old January 12th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:01:39 -0600, Frank Pittel wrote:

Steve wrote:

[...]

Thanks Frank,

My opinion on his photographic prowess remains the same.

Steve

Old January 12th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Diluted to a small degeree, sure, but not 1+10 or 1+20!

What did you think I was talking about?

In any event, fine-grain solvent developers such as Acufine and D-76
work best undiluted or at most 1+1.

Old January 12th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Steve wrote:

Dan,

I tried the dilution in both a stainless steel tank [400ml] and a Jobo
[270ml] and found it ran out of energy above the 1:3 dilution.

MY POINT PRECISELY!!!!!

Old January 12th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Your ignorance is profound.

Acufine is NOT intended to be used as a highly-diluted developer.

You can ask the manufacturer.

Or, you can save time and take my word for it.

I have 40 YEARS of experience in B&W photography, more than ANYONE
here..

Old January 13th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

I would like to express my appologies to all and once again ask that we join in
a united front and simply ignore anything and everything that the troll posts.

I would second this emotion however there are those on this group that
evidently LIKE having him around even though he causes nothing but
controversy and confusion.

JD