Copyright Question? - Slightly off topic sorry....

Old July 7th 04, 07:30 PM
Art

Default Copyright Question? - Slightly off topic sorry....

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

enjoy

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
.. .
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Peter Chant writes:

How old is that in general?

It's getting closer to "eternity" all the time, but I believe that
copyright currently lasts until the author's death plus 70 or 90 years,
in the U.S. Every time significant copyrights approach expiration, very
wealthy media companies bribe Congress into extending them. And to
think that the founding fathers really only want a brief period of
copyright protection, in order to allow an author to live off a given
work for a reasonable time (but not forever or for an entire lifetime).

Where do you get this sludge? All it ever took was a simple application by
the legal heirs. The intention from the beginning was precisely to protect
the manner of expression for as long as the copyright holder cared. "but

not
forever or for an entire lifetime" my blind eyes. Patent laws are

different,
and more reflective of what you're referring to.

Old July 7th 04, 10:32 PM
Sander Vesik

IB wrote:
If I own the original transparency, do I automatically own the copyright to
it?

Not stuff I have taken myself, but I have aquired a collection of original
transparencies that are rather interesting, and some are possibly third or
fourth hand. Who owns the copyright, does it transfer with the original?

unless there is a clear trail of concious provable copyright licences then
you are rather unlikely to own the copyright or even licence to reproduce
them.

TIA

Ian.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old July 8th 04, 12:14 AM
Mxsmanic

MikeWhy writes:

Where do you get this sludge?

Lots of time spent studying IP.

All it ever took was a simple application by
the legal heirs.

All ever _what_ took?

The intention from the beginning was precisely to protect
the manner of expression for as long as the copyright
holder cared.

The copyright holder was the original author, not his heirs. And he was
not entitled to perpetual protection, nor even lifetime protection.

Patent laws are different, and more reflective of what
you're referring to.

Copyright terms used to be very similar to patent laws. Indeed, the
original term of copyright in the U.S. was just 28 years. Now it is
close to 200 years.

Old July 8th 04, 09:52 AM
MikeWhy

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
Copyright terms used to be very similar to patent laws. Indeed, the
original term of copyright in the U.S. was just 28 years. Now it is
close to 200 years.

For Bilbo Baggins, original copyright protection might run "close to 200
years". For the rest of us mortals, it will be quite a bit less.

And what you wrote is still sludge. Of the one change made 200+ years after
the "founding fathers" penned anything founding, you characterize it thusly:
"Every time significant copyrights approach expiration, very wealthy media
companies bribe Congress into extending them".

Sludge. Pure and simple.

Old July 8th 04, 01:42 PM
Art

Replace "bribe" with lobby and donate heavily to policital parties and
campaigns, then you have the truth. Disney and others send out press
releases about how authors and their families should be protected longer but
actually they are trying to protect their movie portfolio and license fees.

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
. ..
news