Copyright Question? - Slightly off topic sorry....

Old July 6th 04, 10:38 PM
IB

Default Copyright Question? - Slightly off topic sorry....

If I own the original transparency, do I automatically own the copyright to
it?

Not stuff I have taken myself, but I have aquired a collection of original
transparencies that are rather interesting, and some are possibly third or
fourth hand. Who owns the copyright, does it transfer with the original?

TIA

Ian.

Old July 6th 04, 10:42 PM
Art

IF you live near a law school visit their bookstore and buy a copy of
Intellectual Property in a Nutshell. Tells you all you need to know and
more. There is no way anyone can answer your question without knowing when
it was taken, any contracts involved, etc.

Old July 6th 04, 10:57 PM
IB

So if there was no mention of transfer of copyright when I bought them, then
I probably don't have it by default, and if the slides weren't taken by the
current owner they may not have it either.

Thanks.

Ian.

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
"IB" writes:

If I own the original transparency, do I automatically own the copyright

it?

Not stuff I have taken myself, but I have aquired a collection of

original
transparencies that are rather interesting, and some are possibly third

or
fourth hand. Who owns the copyright, does it transfer with the original?

There are too many issues to give an answer. _Generally_, the copyright
does not transfer with title to the image, any more than buying a book
transfers copyright to person buying the book. _Generally_, the person
making the photograph holds title to the copyright without regard to who
holds title to the work itself. Since you mention some of the
transparencies may have changed hands several times, it _may_ be that
copyrights have expired as to some of the works.

See
http://www.philipstripling.com/ilaw.html
for links to reputable resources on this thorny problem.

Old July 6th 04, 11:02 PM
Wise Ass Poaster

In article .net,
"Art" wrote:

IF you live near a law school visit their bookstore and buy a copy of
Intellectual Property in a Nutshell. Tells you all you need to know and
more. There is no way anyone can answer your question without knowing when
it was taken, any contracts involved, etc.

Now that was a helpful post,......Thank You!!!
Credit where credit is warranted. This time I am serious :-)
Old July 6th 04, 11:06 PM
Mxsmanic

IB writes:

If I own the original transparency, do I automatically own the copyright to
it?

No.

Not stuff I have taken myself, but I have aquired a collection of original
transparencies that are rather interesting, and some are possibly third or
fourth hand. Who owns the copyright, does it transfer with the original?

The copyright belongs to the photographer who originally took the
photograph. The only exceptions a (1) the photographer assigned the
copyright to someone else explicitly; (2) the photographer was taking
pictures as work-for-hire (as an employee, for example), in which case
the copyright belongs to his employer; or (3) the photograph is so old
that it has fallen into the public domain.

Old July 7th 04, 12:42 AM
Phil Stripling

In article , IB
wrote:

So if there was no mention of transfer of copyright when I bought them, then
I probably don't have it by default, and if the slides weren't taken by the
current owner they may not have it either.

That would be my bet. As a couple of people have pointed out, there is
not enough information to be certain.

Phil

Old July 7th 04, 08:12 AM
Peter Chant

In article ,
Mxsmanic writes:

The copyright belongs to the photographer who originally took the
photograph. The only exceptions a (1) the photographer assigned the
copyright to someone else explicitly; (2) the photographer was taking
pictures as work-for-hire (as an employee, for example), in which case
the copyright belongs to his employer; or (3) the photograph is so old
that it has fallen into the public domain.

How old is that in general?

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old July 7th 04, 03:47 PM
Mxsmanic

Peter Chant writes:

How old is that in general?

It's getting closer to "eternity" all the time, but I believe that
copyright currently lasts until the author's death plus 70 or 90 years,
in the U.S. Every time significant copyrights approach expiration, very
wealthy media companies bribe Congress into extending them. And to
think that the founding fathers really only want a brief period of
copyright protection, in order to allow an author to live off a given
work for a reasonable time (but not forever or for an entire lifetime).

Old July 7th 04, 05:13 PM
MikeWhy

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Peter Chant writes:

How old is that in general?

It's getting closer to "eternity" all the time, but I believe that
copyright currently lasts until the author's death plus 70 or 90 years,
in the U.S. Every time significant copyrights approach expiration, very
wealthy media companies bribe Congress into extending them. And to
think that the founding fathers really only want a brief period of
copyright protection, in order to allow an author to live off a given
work for a reasonable time (but not forever or for an entire lifetime).

Where do you get this sludge? All it ever took was a simple application by
the legal heirs. The intention from the beginning was precisely to protect
the manner of expression for as long as the copyright holder cared. "but not
forever or for an entire lifetime" my blind eyes. Patent laws are different,
and more reflective of what you're referring to.