Nikon SB-26 on Bronica SQ-A

Old May 12th 04, 10:45 PM
Drew

Default Nikon SB-26 on Bronica SQ-A

Hi there,
Recently I bought a Bronica SQ-A and I wonder if anyone can tell me how to
use my SB-26 flash on my Bronica? I have a speedgrip with hotshoe (the flash
fires once mouned on the grip, but I the exposure is wrong).

What I do know is that I have to set the flash to "A" for automatic, set the
focal length of the lens on the flash (80mm Bronica lens- set flash to
50mm), set the film ISO value and read the apperture of the lens and set it
on the flash. What exposure time should I set? Could I for example set the
camera to 1/125 and adjust the flash to work with that speed? Or do I have
to set the camera to work with a certain speed dictated by the flash?

I'm very open to any suggestions (I've got a few old rolls of TMAX 400 for
the experiments :-)) and would like to hear from anyone out there with the
knowledge or experience.

Thanks,
Drew
The Netherlands

Old May 15th 04, 06:27 PM

:
: What I do know is that I have to set the flash to "A" for automatic, set the
: focal length of the lens on the flash (80mm Bronica lens- set flash to
: 50mm), set the film ISO value and read the apperture of the lens and set it
: on the flash. What exposure time should I set? Could I for example set the
: camera to 1/125 and adjust the flash to work with that speed? Or do I have
: to set the camera to work with a certain speed dictated by the flash?
:

The shutter speed you use shouldn't matter to the flash at all; it only
fires for 1/1,000 of a second anyway. Just set your f/stop and go.
The automatic setting on your SB26 should work fine, bearing in mind
all the usual factors of range and reflectivity.

Alternatively, you can use manual mode on the flash.

Either way, if you've got the ISO and the f/stop set, just check the
distance scale before you shoot.

It's good that you're allowing a few rolls to experiment, but do make one
of them a roll of slide film.

That said, I confess I have neither a Bronica, nor an SB26, but I do have
a Mamiya TLR and an SB28, which work very well in tandem, both in
automatic and manual modes. The Mamiya doesn't have any sort of hot shoe,
so I use a PC connector, which you might try if you're having trouble (if
the SQA has a hot shoe you're using).

Best,
Mark.
--
Mark P. Nelson )
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the