Announcement: new DoF calculator available for download

Old October 5th 04, 08:25 PM
Anthony Ralph

Default Announcement: new DoF calculator available for download

Jens Regge wrote:
:: Hi all together,
::
:: some years ago, I've started the project of creating a a
:: depth-of-field calculator in form of a disc.
:: But I somewhat forgot about it, too many other things to do.
:: Now, after some rainy weekends, I finally managed to finish the first
:: version.
::
:: A number of discs are available for different circles of confusion,
:: each covering the (approximate) focal length range of 28 to 105mm (or
:: the equivalent for that equipment) as well as f-stops from about 2.8
:: to 22.
::
:: I've made it publicly available under the following URLs. Each PDF is
:: about 1.2 megs in size. There is a German (metric) version and a
:: US/UK (imperial) version:
:: http://www.silverimages.de/downloads/dof-metric.pdf
:: http://www.silverimages.de/downloads/dof-imperial.pdf
::
:: I'd like to know if this is useful for others and of course your
:: comments for improval.
::
:: Please send comments also as PM, since I'm no regular reader of US/UK
:: photo groups, I usually only read the German spoken
:: de.rec.fotografie.
::
:: Best regards,
:: Jens.
:: --
:: @@@
:: C|~| jens regge
:: |_| http://www.silverimages.de/
:: |

You might want to consider a metric (UK) version, as the UK has been
metric since about 1970.

--
Regards:

Anthony Ralph
Buckingham UK
** Pull the CORK to reply**

Old October 5th 04, 09:05 PM
Alan Browne

Anthony Ralph wrote:

You might want to consider a metric (UK) version, as the UK has been
metric since about 1970.

er, last time I was there (2002) the speed limits were in MPH. While Canada
migrated to metric (beginning in the 70's) at a seemingly slow pace, it was
blindingly fast compared to the UK.

Old October 5th 04, 10:03 PM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:
er, last time I was there (2002) the speed limits were in MPH

They still are (not that anyone pays much attention to them g) but
petrol is sold in litres, beer in pints and fruit in kilos. It's a right
mucking fuddle.

--

Roger

Old October 5th 04, 10:40 PM
macropod

Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

Cheers

"Roger Whitehead" wrote in message
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:
er, last time I was there (2002) the speed limits were in MPH

They still are (not that anyone pays much attention to them g) but
petrol is sold in litres, beer in pints and fruit in kilos. It's a right
mucking fuddle.

--

Roger

---

Old October 5th 04, 11:25 PM
Peter Chant

Roger Whitehead writes:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:
er, last time I was there (2002) the speed limits were in MPH

They still are (not that anyone pays much attention to them g) but
petrol is sold in litres, beer in pints and fruit in kilos. It's a right
mucking fuddle.

And then I went to the Co-Op to buy 12 oz cheddar to find that the
woman behind the counter thought it was a strange US measurement
as she was Canadian. I must admit I don't buy cheese this way
often and usually get blank looks when I ask for it in ounces, but
why can't they sell it in ounces. Provided prices are per kilogramme
and you can buy it per kilogramme what is the legal problem when a
customer asks for it in kilos?

Pete

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old October 5th 04, 11:29 PM
Peter Chant

"macropod" writes:
Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

A couple of dozen years?

At least all talk of making us drive on the other size of the road
has died as obviously impractical and expensive.

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old October 6th 04, 01:34 AM
Journalist-North

"Peter Chant" wrote in message
"macropod" writes:
Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

A couple of dozen years?

At least all talk of making us drive on the other size of the road
has died as obviously impractical and expensive.

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

--------------

They will get around to that in the UK sooner or later - except as things
usually go in Britain - they will want to have the ordinary motorist make
the change-over to driving on the other side on one day, and commercial
lories and busses on another.

LOL

Journalist

Old October 6th 04, 02:51 AM
Colin D

Peter Chant wrote:

In article ,
"macropod" writes:
Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

A couple of dozen years?

At least all talk of making us drive on the other size of the road
has died as obviously impractical and expensive.

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Nearly 40 years for NZ - changeover was in 1967. Anyone under the age
of 45 doesn't remember or even know anything about imperial
measurement. A few problems still exist, though. Renovating older
houses, f'rinstance, built in imperial measurements. Early building
sizes for things like wallboard were hard-converted, so 48 inches became
1219 millimetres, but later soft-converted to the nearest round metric
measurement, 1200mm. Bad news when one was trying to re-wallboard an
older house, the wallboard was 20mm shorter than the stud-to-stud
distance of 48 in. But later still, 1220mm sheets were introduced for
just this problem. Distances and speedos went to kilometres, and you
could buy speedo converters, little gadgets with 8:5 gearing that were
fitted between the speedo and the cable. Would I change back? No
chance.

Colin
Old October 6th 04, 04:04 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Jens Regge wrote:
The German version is on "A4"

We use the A, B and C sizes here, too.

and the English/imperial version is on "US Letter".

If you have time, please amend that to A4. US Letter can cause incorrect
pagination on most systems in the UK.

--

Roger

Old October 6th 04, 04:11 AM
Alan Browne

Peter Chant wrote:
In article ,
"macropod" writes:

Out here in the antipodes we've been metricated for decades ...

A couple of dozen years?

At least all talk of making us drive on the other size of the road
has died as obviously impractical and expensive.

Not at all. One week you get all the trucks (lorries) to switch sides and the
next week all the cars. Gradual implementation you see...