Windows 10 - Day 1

Old June 1st 16, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Windows 10 - Day 1

On 31/05/2016 22:00, newshound wrote:
[]
And today's problem is a shared drive not being seen across the network,
you can *see* the host computer that contains it, but then get various
messages saying "can't connect, are you sure you have the right name".
Not a unique problem, according to the forums.

Just connect to that drive with credentials on the host machine.
--
Cheers,
David
Old June 1st 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 6/1/2016 11:06 AM, David Taylor wrote:
On 31/05/2016 22:00, newshound wrote:
[]
And today's problem is a shared drive not being seen across the network,
you can *see* the host computer that contains it, but then get various
messages saying "can't connect, are you sure you have the right name".
Not a unique problem, according to the forums.

Just connect to that drive with credentials on the host machine.

How? It can see the machine, *but not any of the drives*.

I'm far from being a novice with computers, but some of the advice on
the forums is baffling to me. I *really* don't see why I should be
manually editing the registry, for example.

As it happens, the access came back after rebooting the network and the
two machines. But, one of the machines takes a full five minutes to
reboot. A modern OS should just work, it shouldn't fall over at random,
giving incomprehensible error messages. The automatic "help" options are
worse than useless. MS are trying to get Win 10 on to all platforms,
including Win 7 desktops. But some of the MS official help pages which I
found just started off by saying "swipe this" and "swipe that": no help
at all!
Old June 1st 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 01/06/2016 18:27, newshound wrote:
[]
How? It can see the machine, *but not any of the drives*.

I'm far from being a novice with computers, but some of the advice on
the forums is baffling to me. I *really* don't see why I should be
manually editing the registry, for example.

As it happens, the access came back after rebooting the network and the
two machines. But, one of the machines takes a full five minutes to
reboot. A modern OS should just work, it shouldn't fall over at random,
giving incomprehensible error messages. The automatic "help" options are
worse than useless. MS are trying to get Win 10 on to all platforms,
including Win 7 desktops. But some of the MS official help pages which I
found just started off by saying "swipe this" and "swipe that": no help
at all!

If you know the share name:

NET USE X: \\node\share password /USER:user-name

See: NET USE /? for more information.

Be aware that Win-10 runs on tablets as well. I know of no situation
where you need to "swipe" anything when you have a standard desktop PC,
but perhaps you need to experiment a little more. Win-10 here has been
very stable, and the only crashes I recall were with the early "insider
preview" versions, once, perhaps twice.

BTW: I run Classic Shell on a couple of PCs which suits my style of
interaction:

http://www.classicshell.net/

The tablets here take seconds to boot, following a Windows shutdown
command. This is far quicker than the older OSes as it's more like a
hibernate and wake.
--
Cheers,
David
Old June 3rd 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 6/1/2016 8:22 PM, David Taylor wrote:
[...]

As it happens, I do know about NET USE and I do have all the info to hand.

After a long think it tells me "System error 53 has occurred. The
network path was not found."

This might all be fine for system administrators who 1) should have a
very structured approach to their systems and 2) be familiar with all
the terminology. Once I have set up a single user machine, all I need to
remember is the password. I log into two machines with, as it happens,
different MS accounts, and hence different passwords. When they were
running 7 and 8.1, I set up sharing on one of the laptop drives, and
that meant I could work on it from the desktop. I imagine I had to enter
the laptop password once, but the system remembered it. After that, I
didn't have to do anything for months, it just worked. You didn't have
to keep rebooting the system, you could leave one or other in sleep or
shutdown completely, when you woke them both up, the desktop could
always see the shared drive.

That's no longer the case. It usually works if you reboot the access
point, the bridge, and both machines. But then sometimes it stops. If
you put one machine to sleep, it won't work on waking up. And as far as
I can make out, this all started happening after upgrading the desktop
from 7 to 10.

So currently I have to copy the appropriate laptop files to a USB stick,
work on them on the desktop, and copy them back, which is a bloody nuisance.

Be aware that Win-10 runs on tablets as well. I know of no situation
where you need to "swipe" anything when you have a standard desktop PC,
but perhaps you need to experiment a little more.

I'm just complaining that some of the help files automatically assume
you have a touch screen (whether laptop or tablet). If MS *really*
wanted to get people on a single software platform, the "help" should
ask you this first (or better still, work it out).

Win-10 here has been
very stable, and the only crashes I recall were with the early "insider
preview" versions, once, perhaps twice.

Oh, I agree that it doesn't crash very often. Just that sometimes
printers stop working, and one of the optical drive no longer writes.

BTW: I run Classic Shell on a couple of PCs which suits my style of
interaction:

http://www.classicshell.net/

I used that originally, but I have more or less got used to the new
interface. (Still hate the new Office interface with all the mostly
pointless ribbons).

The tablets here take seconds to boot, following a Windows shutdown
command. This is far quicker than the older OSes as it's more like a
hibernate and wake.

I use Android tablets, and an Android phone, after trying a Windows one.

Old June 3rd 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 03/06/2016 16:03, newshound wrote:
[...]

What you can do is to have a command script which makes the connections,
run with highest privileges at login time. There's a security issue in
having the password in a script, of course. This may help your
connection issue. It's something I've seen as well perhaps only within
the last few months, though, not when Win-10 first came out. Perhaps we
should report the problem.

Could you mirror the files through one of the cloud sharing services
rather than using a USB stick?

I must confess that I tend to use Google search rather than the Help
files, so I've not seen the "touch-screen-only" limitation.

I'm also using an Android phone, as in the UK the Apple ones are three
times the money for very similar facilities. It's a Moto G3 and takes
quite good pictures - very handy!

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 3rd 16, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 6/3/2016 4:50 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 03/06/2016 16:03, newshound wrote:
On 6/1/2016 8:22 PM, David Taylor wrote:

What you can do is to have a command script which makes the connections,
run with highest privileges at login time.

I used to do that in DOS 2, but not having needed it for decades, I
don't actually know how to do it in Windows. (I do have a few "manual"
batch files).

There's a security issue in
having the password in a script, of course. This may help your
connection issue.

Not until I can find a command which works!

It's something I've seen as well perhaps only within
the last few months, though, not when Win-10 first came out. Perhaps we
should report the problem.

I've wasted hours trawling the net, but am still none the wiser as to
where the problem might be, and hence how to make a useful complaint. I
sometimes get messages from the diagnostic tools about not having the
required components installed, for example. But assuming that W10
doesn't actually go around uninstalling stuff at random, it can't be that.

Could you mirror the files through one of the cloud sharing services
rather than using a USB stick?

As a principle, I don't put client data in the cloud. Also, at the start
of a "session" I don't know which files I might want to look at, today I
put the complete job folder of 200 MB on the stick.

I must confess that I tend to use Google search rather than the Help
files, so I've not seen the "touch-screen-only" limitation.

No, I found this via Google, but it was a link to one of the official MS
sites.

I'm also using an Android phone, as in the UK the Apple ones are three
times the money for very similar facilities. It's a Moto G3 and takes
quite good pictures - very handy!

I have the basic G, good value phone but only for "emergency" photos!
Old June 4th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 03/06/2016 18:57, newshound wrote:
[]
[...]

Take a look at Task Scheduler. Create a Basic Task and then with the
task properties, General tab, click on "Run with highest privileges."

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/...o5AGdDXf54.png

from:

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/usin...o/lesson2/all/

I believe that some of the programs can be used to create a "local
cloud" but I don't know which.

The camera in the G3 is substantially improved, and might alone be worth
the upgrade.

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 5th 16, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 04/06/2016 18:48, J. Clarke wrote:
[]
That's one of my pet peeves with Microsoft--the old Office wasn't broke
in that regard--why did they try to fix it?

It's like any software manufacturer - you want a steady income and not a
one-off sale, so you produce updates which the customers are persuaded
contain essential new features. I see that Adobe now collect
subscriptions rather than one-off avoidable upgrades. One reason I
won't buy their software.

I'm still using Office 2000 under Win-10, with only the very minor fix
that I tell Excel it's running under Win-7. For what I need to do, it's
quite adequate, as is my PaintShop Pro 10. Perhaps my needs are simpler
than most folk.

--
Cheers,
David
Old June 5th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

[]
That's one of my pet peeves with Microsoft--the old Office wasn't broke
in that regard--why did they try to fix it?

It's like any software manufacturer - you want a steady income and not a
one-off sale, so you produce updates which the customers are persuaded
contain essential new features. I see that Adobe now collect
subscriptions rather than one-off avoidable upgrades. One reason I
won't buy their software.

your loss. it's actually cheaper for most people.
Old June 5th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-05 14:00:27 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 04/06/2016 18:48, J. Clarke wrote:
[]
That's one of my pet peeves with Microsoft--the old Office wasn't broke
in that regard--why did they try to fix it?

It's like any software manufacturer - you want a steady income and not
a one-off sale, so you produce updates which the customers are
persuaded contain essential new features. I see that Adobe now collect
subscriptions rather than one-off avoidable upgrades. One reason I
won't buy their software.

Don't play the Adobe subscription model short. You will find a bunch of
us here who are quite happy with it, and the powerful tools it provides
us.

Now that I am paying that Adobe CC $9.99/month subscription I have
access to automatic, continuous and sometimes subtle updates with new
and useful features.

Those, not necessarily "essential", new features ultimately make life
in one's photo editing workflow easier. Most importantly, having been a
Photoshop user from my initial rudimentary Photoshop Deluxe (that must
have been a joke) to my first version with some muscle, Photoshop 5.0,
I have bought additional full versions (PS 7.0, CS2, LR) and a series
of upgrades (CS4, CS5, & CS6; LR2, LR4) making a considerable software
investment. What I have now with PS CC & LR CC is the best value Adobe
has ever offered, and I am happy to pay it rather than being on the
upgrade treadmill.

Since I started subscribing to Adobe CC there have been what would have
been substantial developments from the last non-subscription editions,
which would have resulted in a minimum of two major upgrades to PS and
one for LR. That alone has saved me $500. As PS and LR develop there
are going to be more things that cannot be done with PS CS3/4/5/6 or
LR3/4/5.

I'm still using Office 2000 under Win-10, with only the very minor fix
that I tell Excel it's running under Win-7. For what I need to do, it's
quite adequate, as is my PaintShop Pro 10. Perhaps my needs are
simpler than most folk.

Well that is OK then. There is little point in moving out of your
comfort zone. However, you should keep in mind that systems and
software are in ever changing flux, and being locked into stuff that is
merely 'adequate' today, you will find yourself stuck with deadend
software that is no longer supported. You can rationalize that you need
nothing else, but things change and it can be worthwhile working with
that change.

I am sure that a lot of the specialized satellite work you do will
continue to function with your current setup, but regardless of OS, we
are talking photo/image editing software here, not specialized
satellite tools.

Savageduck