d300 amd mirror lenses

Old February 6th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John[_20_]

Default d300 amd mirror lenses

Hi,
I have a Nikon D300 with 18/200 mm and a 70/300 mm lenses. I
occasionally need more telephoto capability. I am considering either
a Nikkor 500 mm or perhaps the 1000 mm mirror reflex lenses since they
are light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

I have read that claim that the outer edge of the image tends to be
dark with the center light. Is this universally true or only in
selected circumstances.

Since the D300 sensor is not a "full frame" sensor the resulting
image excludes some of the outer edge problem that would be visible
with film or "full frame" cameras.

Any Ideas as to the problems one might expect with using the mirror
lenses?

John
Old February 6th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

John wrote:
Any Ideas as to the problems one might expect with using the mirror
lenses?

You should keep in mind that mirror lenses have a fixed apperture,
therefore you are more limited in exposure control and you cannot
control DOF.
Also mirror lenses are notorious for their "interesting" doughnut bokeh.
And lastly you should make sure that the mirror lens physically fits
your camera before buying it. Mirror lenses are very wide at the bottom
and often bump into the pentaprism or the buildin flash overhang.

jue
Old February 6th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"John" wrote in message ...

I have a Nikon D300 with 18/200 mm and a 70/300 mm lenses. I
occasionally need more telephoto capability. I am considering either
a Nikkor 500 mm or perhaps the 1000 mm mirror reflex lenses since they
are light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

The older 500mm f8 Nikkor mirror is really excellent
(sharp and contrasty near infinity focus, with good
exposure evenness across the frame). The newer
version is smaller, but not quite as good near infinity.
I did not like the Nikkor 1000mm performance, and
it is quite large and difficult to use (and the older
500mm + TC14/14B is better - and that cures
illumination problems). Avoid cheap mirrors except
maybe Tamrons, which can be OK (my 300mm
Tamron is surprisingly good, but most 500 mirrors
are terrible). The older Nikkor in nice condition should
be about $300 (here is one FS that looks good, at --
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ... CC=&KW=500mm).
(And, KEH takes returns for refunds if you don't like
the lens - it is a very good company to deal with.)
BTW, avoid the very earliest version that has a focus
ring instead of turning the barrel to focus - and the
barrel-focus one should be multi-coated. It is worth
a call to make sure that the above is the right one, and
that it has all the stated parts with it, especially the
UV rear filter.

I have read that claim that the outer edge of the image tends to be
dark with the center light. Is this universally true or only in
selected circumstances.

Since the D300 sensor is not a "full frame" sensor the resulting
image excludes some of the outer edge problem that would be visible
with film or "full frame" cameras.

True. It is unlikely to be much of a problem with the
D300, although it would still be there somewhat.

Any Ideas as to the problems one might expect with using the mirror
lenses?

John

Others have pointed out some not insurmountable ones,
but I did measure the older 500mm, and the mount itself
should offer no problems with an AI or AF body (but
check with Nikon to be sure, or a reliable lens/body
compatibility list - there is one on my web page at --
www.donferrario.com/ruether). The rear of my lens
consists of a cylinder which is 1/2" long and slightly
larger than the chrome bayonet fitting, after which
it bumps out suddenly 3/8" all around the cylinder. It
may, or may not, clear the prism and flash housing (my
guess is that it will...). I used to leave the TC on all the
time with mine, in which case, it would definitely clear
everything. Also keep in mind that mirrors are about
1/2 stop slower than rating. I LIKE mine...!;-)
--DR

Old February 6th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bmoag[_2_]

My advice with mirror lenses: don't.
There is a reason "high quality" mirror lenses are easily available at good
used prices.
Mine is now a souveneir/paperweight.
They are difficult to focus, even the best images are disappointing compared
to conventional lenses.
Before you purchase a mirror lens, if you really need that long a zoom and
cannot afford dedicated lenses, look into the combination of a high quality
long zoom and modest tele-converter.
I am on the verge of purchasing the new Sigma OS 120-400 zoom. If you
combine this with a modest teleconverter I am certain the image quality will
be better than a mirror lens.

Old February 6th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

John wrote in
:

Hi,
I have a Nikon D300 with 18/200 mm and a 70/300 mm lenses. I
occasionally need more telephoto capability. I am considering either
a Nikkor 500 mm or perhaps the 1000 mm mirror reflex lenses since they
are light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

The Nikkor and Tamron 500mm mirrors are truly awful. Rotten optically.
The Tamron 350mm f5.6 if you can find one, it is far better. Otherwise,
consider a telescope. Modern mirror mfg is done on $500,000 computerized
machines that do a far better job than when those lenses were fabricated.
Here is one suggestion. Whatever you get, you must use a tripod beyond
500mm.
This one is 1300mm. If needed, you can compress that focal length to
780mm (with a dedicated compressor lens).

http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...=optical_tube/
~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=09823

If you can spend more, but not as much as a long Nikon lens costs, then
this will produce excellent images, on a tripod.

http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...=optical_tube/
~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=09012

Old February 6th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"Rich" wrote in message ...
John wrote in
:

I have a Nikon D300 with 18/200 mm and a 70/300 mm lenses. I
occasionally need more telephoto capability. I am considering either
a Nikkor 500 mm or perhaps the 1000 mm mirror reflex lenses since they
are light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

The Nikkor and Tamron 500mm mirrors are truly awful. Rotten optically.

Nonsense, with the larger, earlier version of the 500mm f8 Nikkor
(but with barrel focusing rather than ring focusing - but the latest version
is almost as good). It equals good non-mirrors, and is so good that it
is still fine on the TC14 or TC14B (for 700mm). This image is small,
but the original is SHARP! See --
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/500mm-Nikkor.htm.
This is with the TC14 attached, with things about 3 miles away, and
it still very good in the original. See --
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/5...-plus-TC14.htm.
OK, this combination of the Nikkor 500mm f8 mirror, TC14, and
TC200 isn't exactly razor-sharp, but, who cares with this one? ;-)
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/5...plus-TC200.htm

The Tamron 350mm f5.6 if you can find one, it is far better.

That one is very good (and compact - I have it), but many fairly
inexpensive zooms also are about as good...
--DR

Old February 8th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John[_20_]

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:24:17 GMT, John wrote:

Hi,
I have a Nikon D300 with 18/200 mm and a 70/300 mm lenses. I
occasionally need more telephoto capability. I am considering either
a Nikkor 500 mm or perhaps the 1000 mm mirror reflex lenses since they
are light, compact and relatively inexpensive.

I have read that claim that the outer edge of the image tends to be
dark with the center light. Is this universally true or only in
selected circumstances.

Since the D300 sensor is not a "full frame" sensor the resulting
image excludes some of the outer edge problem that would be visible
with film or "full frame" cameras.

Any Ideas as to the problems one might expect with using the mirror
lenses?

John

Thanks for the input. I am going to get the 500mm reflex and expect a
lot of duds anf hopfully a few winners.
John
Old February 8th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"John" wrote in message ...
[...]

as good)" there is both good performance and good consistency
(I've had a few...). I would recommend this one, if it is still available:
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...C C=&KW=500mm
since KEH is conservative in their ratings, fair in their prices, and they
will take things back for a full refund if you don't like them. Stay with
this particular brand, version, and seller and you should be OK.
--DR

Old February 8th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message ...
"John" wrote in message ...
[...]

$&%#!!! I hate web addresses that fight one! I guess you will need to
navigate KEH's none-to-simple web site to find this lens (under "store",
"Nikon manual focus", "lenses", "500mm" [or whatever it takes], and
look for the one in "Ex" condition as I recall, for $320(?) with all the
parts [shade, caps, and set of rear filters]).
--DR

Old February 8th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

"David Ruether" wrote:
"David Ruether" wrote:

[...]

I agree with your recommendation; an excellent lens for (apparently)
very little money from a very reliable seller.