Q: Strange Copying Error

Old May 17th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Q: Strange Copying Error

K.B. wrote:

Further:

are you loading from camera to the computer directly (no USB hub)?

No but I'll just try to see if it works.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q="Cannot+copy"+"Parameter+is+incorrect."

google says:

"The fix is ...to add or remove an USB HUB on that port.
It's a hardware issue and will drive many insane."

"OP: I've Fixed It By Replacing The Bad USB Port.. "
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102...hreadID=250564

are you loading with a computer built in flash reader (mine sucks for
speed on the WinXP maching, so I use an external device (but on the
Mac usually)).

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends laptop.

If this does not resolve itself, see your Sandisk packaging. Some
come with a small CD with s/w to recover the contents of a disk -
otherwise maybe you can DL the s/w from the Sandisk site.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 17th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Jürgen Exner wrote:
"K.B." wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF?

I don't know that brand.

Sandisk? The most popular brand of CF's?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

K.B. wrote:

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends
laptop.

Try camera direct to the computer USB port.

Looks like it helps. Still no clear why is it so hard with cardreaders.

No idea, my Gateway has a crappy slow card reader too. Faster to
connect direct to the USB. I finally bought an ext. card reader (to
USB) that works great (Centrios) for about $35 - but now I use that with
the Mac.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old May 18th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Alan Browne wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
"K.B." wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF?

I don't know that brand.

Sandisk? The most popular brand of CF's?

Never mind. Switching to a different font revealed the mystery as a mere
typo and poor eyesight: I read it as Externelll.

jue
Old May 18th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-17 15:47:39 -0700, Me said:

K.B. wrote:

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends laptop.

Try camera direct to the computer USB port.

Looks like it helps. Still no clear why is it so hard with cardreaders.

Did you read my reply?

The camera powers itself.
USB card reader takes 5v power from the USB port.
I suspect that the faster CF cards in card readers draw more current
than slower cards when reading - enough so that there's enough voltage
drop that the reader won't work properly.
Try connecting card reader to closest USB port to the motherboard -
probably the back connectors on the system unit.
User the shortest USB cable connector you have between reader and port.
Use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out of USB ports on your PC and
perhaps a small squirt of CRC/WD40 or contact cleaner in the port
occasionally wouldn't do any harm.
My (expensive) sandisk branded reader has the same errors.

Therein lies the beauty of Firewire CF readers, with both FW400 & FW800
readers there is no problem with power demands. I use a SanDisk FW400
reader and when needed I have a Sonnet Technology Pro Dual CF adaptor
ExpressCard/34 for use with my MacBookPro when I don't need to carry
extra cables.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonne...ogy/CFRW2XE34/
Savageduck

Old May 18th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 2009-05-17 15:47:39 -0700, Me said:

K.B. wrote:

[...]

You're probably right, but I also suspect that newer computers might
have better power to USB port setup.
With the PC I'm using now, I think there's circuit protection (PPTC
resettable fuse?) that cuts in nearly instantly when the card reader /
card draws over some limit. That it happens with a premium sandisk card
and reader doesn't please me.
On a new-ish laptop, there's no problem with the same card reader/card.
I'd bother to investigate further, but I'm mothballing this old PC in
a few days.
Old May 18th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
M J Wyllie

K.B. wrote:

Further:

are you loading from camera to the computer directly (no USB hub)?

No but I'll just try to see if it works.

are you loading with a computer built in flash reader (mine sucks for
speed on the WinXP maching, so I use an external device (but on the
Mac usually)).

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends laptop.

That will be the problem! I bought a *very* cheap
USB SD card reader off ebay, from china, & it does
the same thing yours does! I then went & bought a
'many in one' card reader from a local computer
shop & it transfers images just fine!

Old May 18th 09, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
K.B.

Never mind. Switching to a different font revealed the mystery as a mere
typo and poor eyesight: I read it as Externelll.

jue

Sorry, I had one 'r' missing.

Old May 18th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2009-05-17 15:47:39 -0700, Me said:

K.B. wrote:

[...]

The only reason I didn't get a FW reader was I assumed there was no way
the card could fill the BW of the firewire. So now all my USB ports are
full and I have a spare firewire (400) port available. sigh.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.