Q: Strange Copying Error

Old May 17th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Q: Strange Copying Error

K.B. wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF? First it says that it takes about
90 (???) minutes to copy then this message apperas.

What application declares this? See the help/faq for that app.

See the Sandisk site FAQ's as well.

Try a different app to upload with (or if you're using file manager
switch to an app like Elements, Bridge, etc.).

I have two Extreme III cards (8 & 16 GB), no problems. I did have one
bad 8 GB card (failed after about 100 shots).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

K.B. wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF? First it says that it takes about
90 (???) minutes to copy then this message apperas.

I get the same errors, WinXP, Sandisk Extreme III cards, Sandisk
ImageMate reader.
If I connect my camera (in mass storage device mode) to the same USB
port on the computer, and with the same card that showed the error in
the reader, then no problems.
I suspect that there may be a PSU or other problem with the computer,
and the 5V from USB drops enough under load so that some USB devices
play up. I didn't get the errors with older smaller capacity CF cards,
but that may be just chance.
Old May 17th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

K.B. wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF? First it says that it takes about
90 (???) minutes to copy then this message apperas.

Further:

are you loading from camera to the computer directly (no USB hub)?

are you loading with a computer built in flash reader (mine sucks for
speed on the WinXP maching, so I use an external device (but on the Mac
usually)).

If this does not resolve itself, see your Sandisk packaging. Some come
with a small CD with s/w to recover the contents of a disk - otherwise
maybe you can DL the s/w from the Sandisk site.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
K.B.

Old May 17th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

K.B. wrote:

Further:

are you loading from camera to the computer directly (no USB hub)?

No but I'll just try to see if it works.

are you loading with a computer built in flash reader (mine sucks for
speed on the WinXP maching, so I use an external device (but on the
Mac usually)).

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends laptop.

Try camera direct to the computer USB port.

Old May 17th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

K.B. wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
K.B. wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message
when I try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF? First it says that it
takes about 90 (???) minutes to copy then this message apperas.

What application declares this? See the help/faq for that app.

Windows Explorer.

Well, that's crap, but should work. Try direct camera to computer
motherboard USB port (back of machine (unless a laptop)).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old May 17th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"K.B." wrote:
Why to I get a "Cannot copy xxx. Parameter is incorrect." message when I
try to copy shots from ExtemeIII CF?

I don't know that brand.

First it says that it takes about
90 (???) minutes to copy then this message apperas.

Which OS and which tool are you using? What is the exact command and
which parameters (if any)?

jue
Old May 17th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

K.B. wrote:

Some nameless ext. device. Tried 2. It took 5 minutes on my friends
laptop.

Try camera direct to the computer USB port.

Looks like it helps. Still no clear why is it so hard with cardreaders.

Did you read my reply?

The camera powers itself.
USB card reader takes 5v power from the USB port.
I suspect that the faster CF cards in card readers draw more current
than slower cards when reading - enough so that there's enough voltage
drop that the reader won't work properly.
Try connecting card reader to closest USB port to the motherboard -
probably the back connectors on the system unit.
User the shortest USB cable connector you have between reader and port.
Use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out of USB ports on your PC and
perhaps a small squirt of CRC/WD40 or contact cleaner in the port
occasionally wouldn't do any harm.
My (expensive) sandisk branded reader has the same errors.